• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 8 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

3gP decoder pack will not play Motorola Q videos

VoicesInMyHead

Hello!

I just purchased the decoder pack, but it will not play video files created with my Motorola Q.

When I installed the codec pack, .3g2 files weren't associated with Windows Media Player. I double-clicked the file, chose Windows Media Player, and when Windows Media Player started, I was greeted with two dialog boxes. The first read:

"The selected file has an extension (.3G2) that is not recognized by Windows Media Player, but the Player may still be able to play it. Because the extension is unknown by the Player, you should be sure that the file comes from a trustworthy source."

When I click "Yes" to continue, I get the other dialog box:

"Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file."

Can anyone help?

Hi. Would it be possible for you to send an example file to roxiolabstest@sonic.com?

The first dialog you saw is to be expected, but the second one should not be there. It should have just played the file.

Keep in mind the current decoder pack is Windows XP and WMP 10. We will have an update for the pack very soon that will support Vista & WMP 11. Sorry for the delay.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just installed version 1.2 of the pack, and absolutely nothing changed about playing 3G2 files from a Motorola Q. I still get the warning that says the extension is not recognized by Windows Media Player, and when I tell it to try to play it anyway, I still get the player might not support the file or the codec used to compress it. (The same errors I got previously).

Any ideas on what's going on? Did the Motorola Q fix get into this release?

Hmm. Your file is playing back fine for us. Can you tell me what version of Windows Media Player and Windows you are using. Also, do you have the latest Windows Updates for the system and all your drivers?

You restarted your machine right?

Hello! Thanks for the quick reply.

I'm using Windows Vista Business with Windows Media Player 11 and all the latest updates. I did not, however, restart as I wasn't prompted. I am about to do that and will report back any change.

Thanks again for your help.

Ok. Rebooted. Was still warned that the file was not recognized by Windows Media Player, but clicked OK to play anyway. It began playing, but there is a large swath of area on the bottom of the playback that is alternating white and green, with a lot of green block artifacts that come and go on the bottom of the video.

It "plays"... not without a warning and not without the green blocks (which don't occur when playing the same video on the Q itself).

I suppose it will suffice for now, but if you can, look into those two issues.

Thanks for your response to the problem. This has been my first support issue with a Roxio product, and having attention from those who "make it happen" within your organization is refreshing. Most software vendors would be silent until a fix is made (if any). (Being a software developer myself, I am familiar with that. )

Have a great day.

Hey Voices. The confirmation dialog is expected. There is nothing we can do about that. You just have to check the box for "don't warn me again."

I don't believe our QA team saw any artifacts with your file but I will confirm. Glad the reboot helped. The installer is supposed to prompt for this at the end of install. I would be surprised if this didn't appear.

Archived