• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 5 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Dvd Size

Paulxxx

Question

Can someone please explian to me how i can burn more than 4.3 gig onto a 4.7 gig dvd blank. I dumped some movies onto my hard drive using Creator Basic 9 as a Global Image file, and now i cant burn it to a blank dvd, as the program cant see more than 4.3 gig. Better still, can some one tell me how to convert those files so i can burn the movies with nero.

2 answers to this question

Can someone please explian to me how i can burn more than 4.3 gig onto a 4.7 gig dvd blank. I dumped some movies onto my hard drive using Creator Basic 9 as a Global Image file, and now i cant burn it to a blank dvd, as the program cant see more than 4.3 gig. Better still, can some one tell me how to convert those files so i can burn the movies with nero.

Well, you can't. The problem is semantics, the people selling you blank discs call a "gig" 1 billion bytes. But in programming terms, a "gig" is 1,073,741,724 bytes, or 2 to the 30th power. If you divide 4,700,000,000 by 1,073,741,724, you come up with 4.3, which is the real size of the disc.

Now, I don't know what you mean by "Global Image file". If it's an .ISO type of image file, of and authored DVD, then you can use Disc Copier to write it to DVD as it will transcode (compress) the file to fit the disc. If you tell us more about the files you have, we can give you a better answer. What type of file are they (what is the file extension)?

Global Image file

GI Audio Utility Tuningwrench Compressed File

GI Sonic RecordNow! CD Image (Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P.)

GI Prassi or PrimoDVD Image

GI Unknown Apple II File (found on Golden Orchard Apple II CD Rom)

GI Sony CD Extreme Global Image File

GI File Extension 2 File Associations

File Type 1 Global Image (Most common)

Category Disk Files

Common? No

File Description Disk image format created by several possible disc creation software programs; used for duplicating CD/DVDs or copying disc information to a hard drive

Program(s) that open gi files Windows- Prassi Primo DVD

Sony CD Extreme

IsoBuster

File Type 2 RecordNow! CD Image

Category Disk Files

Common? No

File Description Copy of a CD created with RecordNow! software; originally developed by Stomp, but now owned and distributed by HP/Compaq

Program(s) that open gi files Windows- HP RecordNow!

EZB Systems UltraISO

http://sony.storagesupport.com/cgi-bin/son...Iph/faq/list/14

cd

Archived