• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 18 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Recording Quality Cd Or Dvd

acourpet

Question

Hello, sorry if this has been answered before but I keep getting errors when I do a search on this. Anyways, my question is, I'm recording my LP's to CD Spin Doctor. There's a choice between CD quality and DVD quality. I'm going to burn to a CD. Is there any benefits in selecting DVD quality or does it matter. Thanks

3 answers to this question

Audio CDs are 44.1 khz. Video DVDs are 48 khz. If you plan to make an audio CD then you want 44.1 khz. If you are using this as a soundtrack for a movie or for making a Music DVD then 48 khz is preferred. However, any 44.1 khz audio will get resampled as 48 khz by a DVD authoring application (such as Toast) anyway, so sticking with CD quality is the most universal option.

Audio CDs are 44.1 khz. Video DVDs are 48 khz. If you plan to make an audio CD then you want 44.1 khz. If you are using this as a soundtrack for a movie or for making a Music DVD then 48 khz is preferred. However, any 44.1 khz audio will get resampled as 48 khz by a DVD authoring application (such as Toast) anyway, so sticking with CD quality is the most universal option.

Thanks for the information. So if I'm reading this right if I ony going to listen to these cd's in a cd player than I should sample at 44.1 khz, on the other hand if I was going to import the music from my cd sometime later say to a non linear editing program say Final Cut Pro, which I would later burn to a DVD, I should sample at 48 khz even though it could be resampled up.

Thanks for the information. So if I'm reading this right if I ony going to listen to these cd's in a cd player than I should sample at 44.1 khz, on the other hand if I was going to import the music from my cd sometime later say to a non linear editing program say Final Cut Pro, which I would later burn to a DVD, I should sample at 48 khz even though it could be resampled up.

You are correct. Also, Toast will downsample a 48 khz audio file to 44.1 khz when burning it to audio CD. So choose which one matters most to you. A problem with changing the frequency one way or the other is that it can result in a file that has the pitch, speed and length changed slightly unless it is resampled properly.

Archived