• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Problems extracting chapters and converting them into iMovie friendly formats

Lardy

Question

iMac G4 10.4.10

800MHz PowerPC

768 MB SDRAM

Toast 7

Sony DVD101E Camcorder

My attempts at producing a video for the internet are not going very well to say the least. I have recorded some trackdays and want to put this on Youtube.

I'm using my Sony DVD101E to record onto a mini DVD (80mm) which I "finalize" in the camera itself. This I then transfer to my Mac where it appears on the desktop. Within this is a file called VIDEO_TS and within this there is various .VOB .IFO & .BUP files.

I open Toast and click Video, I select Formats in the tray and select "DVD-Video from VIDEO_TS. I then select the Media tab and then DVD in the first drop down and then Title 1 in the second drop down. This shows all the chapters on the disc. I select the chapter I want but then cannot drag this into Toast to export in the format I want. To do this I have to change the "format" drop down to any of the others ie Video CD, DVD-Video etc. When I then export into MPEG-4 format there isn't any sound or there are gaps (picture stops and starts) and Quicktime won't play them properly I have to use Mplayer. I realise this may not be that clear as I'm very new to this but all I want to be able to do is compress some of the chapters and have them in a format that iMovie likes so I can edit.

Any help is very much welcomed. Thanks in advance.

4 answers to this question

"Lets try a different approach" I like it! is that a polite way of saying I'm doing it wrong :lol:

I tried all that you said and have had something strange happen. When exporting to the desktop in an MPEG-4 format the file icon appears as its exporting but then disappears as soon as its finished :blink: I cannot find it anywhere. When I export into DV format its fine but then when I drag this DV file to iMovie "clips" it plays very badly with "pixelated" ares and loss of sound?????????

Thanks for your help so far :)

"Lets try a different approach" I like it! is that a polite way of saying I'm doing it wrong :lol:

I tried all that you said and have had something strange happen. When exporting to the desktop in an MPEG-4 format the file icon appears as its exporting but then disappears as soon as its finished :blink: I cannot find it anywhere. When I export into DV format its fine but then when I drag this DV file to iMovie "clips" it plays very badly with "pixelated" ares and loss of sound?????????

Thanks for your help so far :)

I think what happened with the MPEG 4 export is Toast aborted it before it was finished and, therefore, deleted the incomplete file. This can happen if Toast encounters problems with the source MPEG, although I'm surprised it completed the extraction if that is the case.

So let's try yet another approach. :rolleyes:

If you don't already have MPEG Streamclip, get it along with Apple's Quicktime MPEG2 Component. Open a VTS title (such as VTS_01_1.VOB) from the VIDEO_TS folder in Streamclip. If you are asked if you want to open a single VOB or the entire set, choose the entire set. Next choose Fix timecode breaks from the Edit menu. You can also use Streamclip to cut out segments of the video you don't want although those edits won't be as precise as you can make in iMovie. When done choose Export to DV or Export to MPEG 4. Alternatively you could choose Convert to MPEG, add that MPEG to the Toast Video window and let Toast do the export to DV or MPEG 4, but it should work fine to let Streamclip do the exporting for iMovie.

You mention loss of sound. In that case I suggest going to perian.org and downloading/installing the current Perian codec.

I don't know the options you have with the Sony camcorder but the easiest thing to do in the future may be to record in VR mode and then have Toast extract the video without your finalizing the disc. My standalone DVD recorder creates timecode breaks when recording in video mode and finalizing whereas there are no such problems with VR-mode recordings.

Let's try a different approach. Place the copied VIDEO_TS folder directly on the desktop (not inside any other folder). Select DVD video as the format in the Video window. Select DVD with the top button of the Media Browser. When something appears in the browser window use the second button in the browser to access the chapter level of the title you want. Drag that title to the video window.

Toast extracts the video as an MPEG file. You now can select that MPEG file in the Video window and click Export to save it as DV or MPEG 4 for iMovie.

By the way, you may be able to extract video this way from the camera's mini-DVDs without finalizing a disc. Give that a try some time.

Archived