Unable to play burnt DVD any longer

jdboy

Question

Hi there,

After downloading TV shows in AVI format and burning them to DVD, I am finding that they can no longer be played on my DVD player. I have been doing this for the last year without any problems, it is only DVD's I have burnt in the last week that cannot be played.

I have a Panasonic DVD player and when I try playing the DVD I am now getting an error message 'This disc is not formatted properly'.

I have tried playing DVD's that I have burnt prior to the problem occurring and they play fine so it doesn't appear to be an issue with the player.

Any suggestions are welcomed.

Cheers

JDBoy

2 answers to this question

Hi,

Have you changed your type/brand of DVDs lately?

Some older DVD players don't like DVD+ discs, so for them you need to stay with DVD- discs or use a 'booktype setting' to show DVD+ discs as DVD-ROM.

If you examine a disc which won't play and one which will, under a utility like DVDInfo Pro or Nero's DC-DVD Speed (both free downloads), you might see a difference which will show you the direction to go.

Sarge

I have a Panasonic DVD recorder and have had trouble sometimes getting it to play DVD disks that I make on my computer, but also have trouble getting it to record on certain disks. I have been using the same disks all along as I bought a big quantity of them (Printable full face RITEKG05). After trial and error I find it will now only recognise Traxdata 8X disks! It won't even recognise it's own brand Ram disks.

I find that if I use a good quality DVD cleaner then try a disk, if it's not recognised I switch the Panasonic off and back on again, and do this over and over, it suddenly sees the disk! But as this is too drawn out to do, I am sticking to the Traxdata until I get a new machine!

I have found the same problem in other forums and thought I would let you know that I think the Panasonic has a problem overall?

Archived