• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 17 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Windows XP x64 compatible with EMC 9?

Amaw Opaw

Question

Well, I searched the knowledge base using the feature under that "Ask RoxAnn" and found nothing, so, with my hat in my hand, I'm begging tips and hints from the forums.

I've had the misfortune of buying DVD burners with Nero bundled on them (or should I spell that Ner :angry: ?) and I'm tired of the poor support, 7-hour-plus encoding times--my record is 14 hours!--and I've heard Roxio is pretty decent. It's time for me to change, I think!

I'm running Windows XP x64 with an AMD 2.1 gig processor, a gig of memory, and I'll be using a Lite-On burner that meets Roxio's compatibility requirements. Has anybody heard of issues with x64 and Roxio products?

And while I'm at it, is there a list somewhere on this site listing programs or hardware with which EMC 9 has known problems? Couldn't find that, either...maybe I'm just blond. Uh, blind. Yeah.

Thanks in advance!

6 answers to this question

It should work in 32 bit emulation mode (EMC8 did for me when I was crazy enough to try XP64 :lol:)

I was thinking of something like that....I tried running Neverwinter Nights on this computer and I had to set it to run on only one processor. Thanks for reminding me.

If you want to try it, download and run the 30 day trial to see if it gives you what you are looking for.

Well, if you're going to be all obvious about it... :P I was hesitant to try the "free trial" version because I can usually only encode about five minutes of my clips, but what the hey. Let's give it a shot.

Thanks, gentlemen.

Actually, when you install the trial or tyhe full version, XP will load it into the X86Program Files folder anyway so you don't have to force it to any mode. It should work with the SMP setup of the dual core too

It should work in 32 bit emulation mode (EMC8 did for me when I was crazy enough to try XP64 :lol:)

I gave up due to total scarcity of drivers and so on and reverted back to the 32 bit version

Programs and hardware - there does seem to be a problem with nVidia graphics and jerky still frames (been reported a lot) that doesn't occur with ATI cards. As for programs - none that I know of, but always keep a weather eye on IE7 and WMP11 (they seem to cause a lot of problems across the board).

Also, the Norton One Button Cleanup (and the McAfee equivalent) seem to be doing something to the registry and pushing EMC 9 to 'trial expired' mode

If you want to try it, download and run the 30 day trial to see if it gives you what you are looking for. The trial version does not contain "Drag 2 Disc" which is incompatible with Nero's packet writing program. Make sure that you install to a clean hard drive with plenty of free space and make sure your anti-virus if off during the install. (OK during the download.)

There are a couple of other things not in the trial that would be downloaded if you buy the full version. V9 is on sale now for half price. Also consider the deluxe for the extras (I don't think that is on sale.) I've lost the link to the half price sale but you should find it on their site.

Well, I searched the knowledge base using the feature under that "Ask RoxAnn" and found nothing, so, with my hat in my hand, I'm begging tips and hints from the forums.

I just posted this http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=25510

I'm running Windows XP x64...Has anybody heard of issues with x64 and Roxio products?

The issues are posted all over this forum, lol. Beware though, most people are fed up with the appearent lack of tech support, and so they come to this forum to rant. (I think this forum could use a rant post myself, just so people can get things off their chest.) Or they come to this forum thinking this is tech support. You will find a lot of frustration. I actually got EMC9 to install on the first try. I'm not a die hard Roxio junkie zombie as I'm sure I will be accused of for writing that :D

As for the RAM, the more the merrier. I have 2 gig and plan to move up to 4. You WILL notice a difference in the time it takes to produce a video.

I've had the misfortune of buying DVD burners with Nero bundled on them (or should I spell that Ner :angry: ?) and I'm tired of the poor support, 7-hour-plus encoding times--my record is 14 hours!--and I've heard Roxio is pretty decent. It's time for me to change, I think!

I'm running Windows XP x64 with an AMD 2.1 gig processor, a gig of memory, and I'll be using a Lite-On burner that meets Roxio's compatibility requirements. Has anybody heard of issues with x64 and Roxio products?

And while I'm at it, is there a list somewhere on this site listing programs or hardware with which EMC 9 has known problems? Couldn't find that, either...maybe I'm just blond. Uh, blind. Yeah.

Thanks in advance!

Poor support is a fact of life. Companies don't want to pay techs $20/hour to fix problems so they hire kids that used to hold headsets at McDonalds and can play video games. It's not long after they're hired that they figure out how to game the system which has been gaming them from the time they walk in. "We want you to care about the customer ! For 15 minutes !". LOL ! Yeah, I have a few friends in tech support roles.

As to XP x64, man it just rocks ! R9 will work fine on it. Note that I don't understand why you would be using iut as opposed to the 32 bit version of XP though as you don't have a real need for the extra registers as you're only running 1GB of RAM.

Archived