• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 16 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Dvd Labels

rodcon660

Question

15 answers to this question

I was just wondering what labels for dvd discs are compatible with roxio software and where would I get them.

I print on good quality, blank paper for DVD case inserts.

I would not advocate purchasing stick on labels to be used on DVD media after burning. You are looking for trouble regarding reliability in playing these dvds over the long term. If you want to make professional looking dvd's - I suggest you look into one of the printers able to print directly onto inkjet printable media (white surface) and then burn and print onto good quality printable media. I've used my Epson R320 to print onto Ritek inkjet printable cd-r media, TDK inkjet printable dvd media, and Benq hub printable dvd media with excellent looking results.

Steve (The other One) BTW, you do not have to have EMC 7.5 to use LightScribe. I am running ver 7.1.1.189 and have the LightScribe drive and it works fine. When I say fine, that doesn't mean I like it (Referring to the program that HP or LightScribe has. The drive works great and Roxio does recognize it for all other program use). I have used it a couple of times and it takes 20 minutes or more to burn a disk (And BTW, you do need to have the special LightScribe Media) that has only a title and subtitle and a very simple photo. It is slower than molassas !! And another thing, it is not capable of burning in color, YET !

Frank..........

I have an Epson 320, but don't know what "Current Paper Type" to choose in the Page Setup in order to print directly onto the disc. How is this done in Label Creator? I am running v7 (Build 7.1.1.189).

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

TechExec

Go to: Label Creator - Page Setup - the "disc" tab.

The drop-down "current paper type" should offer "Epson Stylus Photo Rxxx".

I believe that R200 and R300 should work just fine for any of the R2xx, R3xx series printers.

I confess that I've been using the Epson supplied print program to print onto inkjet printable media with excellent results, so have not had the urge to mess around with this.

Got it at the Lightscribe site; a paragraph or two below the driver. I have not yet tried it.

Interested to know Steve, what web site you need to go to for the "FIX". Would it be the Lightscribe site or the actual manufacturer of the drive ??

Frank.......

And another thing, it is not capable of burning in color, YET !

Frank..........

Personally, I haven't been able to envision how they might make Lightscribe burn in color, other than monochromatically, as it does now. Standard printers have mutliple colored inks to put onto a surface, they can be mixed to come up with all the various colors.

Lightscribe is a little more like a display tube, you hit a dye with the laser, and it changes color. Now, to do different colors, you'd need different areas of different dyes to hit with the laser. But, the problem here is that you've got no "registration" to know the orientation of the disc when the user puts it in. Put a blue dot next to a red dot (on the disc) and now when the user puts the disc into the drive, what are you pointing at? The red spot or the blue spot? It depends on how the user inserted the disc.

If anyone has any good theories how color Lightscribe might work, I'd love to hear them.

Personally, I haven't been able to envision how they might make Lightscribe burn in color, other than monochromatically, as it does now. Standard printers have mutliple colored inks to put onto a surface, they can be mixed to come up with all the various colors.

Lightscribe is a little more like a display tube, you hit a dye with the laser, and it changes color. Now, to do different colors, you'd need different areas of different dyes to hit with the laser. But, the problem here is that you've got no "registration" to know the orientation of the disc when the user puts it in. Put a blue dot next to a red dot (on the disc) and now when the user puts the disc into the drive, what are you pointing at? The red spot or the blue spot? It depends on how the user inserted the disc.

If anyone has any good theories how color Lightscribe might work, I'd love to hear them.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/02/14/lab...ightscribe_dvd/

Siggy Moersch

14 Feb 2006

Labelflash vs LightScribe DVD/CD Labeling

"Laser printing in up to four color layers is in the works, which both LightScribe and Labelflash will have to support."

Discs printed with LightScribe and Labelflash are both really nice to look at. When we asked THG employees which ones they thought looked the best, they said they preferred the blue-colored discs, perhaps due to the color and more contrasting coating. The selection of discs and burners is much larger with LightScribe, however, a fact reflected in the price of blank discs. While discs for Labelflash cost about $2.5 (€2), prices for LightScribe DVDs have fallen to around $1. Prices are unlikely to go down more until the number of disc makers for Labelflash has substantially increased. Another disadvantage is that there are currently no blank CDs for Labelflash. It is hard to say at this time which one will become established. Laser printing in up to four color layers is in the works, which both LightScribe and Labelflash will have to support.

When I saw the first Labelflash label though I had to admit that tattooed discs show more contrast and are simply better-looking. There were no problems with the Nero V6.6 version included with the NEC burner. The exorbitant price of blanks is painful though at $2.4 each. Test printing is unaffordable, so all the Fujifilm discs we bought were labeled with the printing quality set at the highest level. The result is more impressive than with matt LightScribe discs

No answer for color yet but it seems there working on it.

cdanteek

I print on good quality, blank paper for DVD case inserts.

I would not advocate purchasing stick on labels to be used on DVD media after burning. You are looking for trouble regarding reliability in playing these dvds over the long term. If you want to make professional looking dvd's - I suggest you look into one of the printers able to print directly onto inkjet printable media (white surface) and then burn and print onto good quality printable media. I've used my Epson R320 to print onto Ritek inkjet printable cd-r media, TDK inkjet printable dvd media, and Benq hub printable dvd media with excellent looking results.

I have an Epson 320, but don't know what "Current Paper Type" to choose in the Page Setup in order to print directly onto the disc. How is this done in Label Creator? I am running v7 (Build 7.1.1.189).

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

TechExec

That's interesting about Labelflash and LightScribe working on being able to burn color labels. The reason I suggested "NOT YET" in my last post was pretty much what is the story. Just give them a little more time and they (Someone) will come out with a process to do it. The initial burners and media will undoubtedly be very costly but as time goes by and the competition gets going, that will come down just like all the other computer stuff. But for now, I think the burned disks look like crap !!

Frank....

I personally use Avery and I get them at an office supply. In my case it is usually Office Depot.

I suggest as long as you set the "Page Setup" correctly, you can use several of the major suppliers of blank label paper. I have been using "NEATO" (by Fellowes) for some time now with Roxio's label Creator and so far they work great. The Neato labels I use are the "Spline and Label" sheets with a set of two labels on each sheet. I have set the "START POSITION" (in.) for a "DISC" setting at 1.94" Horizontal and 1.94" Vertical direction. Go to FILE--PAGE SETUP in the Label Creator program to set your starting positions. In the lower portion of the setup screen (after setting 1.94" H/V) the "Original Start Position (in.) shows as 0.79" Horizontal and 0.79" Vertical position.

One thing however I haven't been able to do is print two labels all at once. If I want a second label printed (Using my Neato two label sheets) is to turn it around after the first label has printed and then print again with the same of different design.

Hope this helps assuming you want to use NEATO labels.

Frank....(Redwagon) :)

I stand corrected. BTW, have you downloaded and applied the "fix" to get higher contrast to the lightscribe drive? More contrast = longer burn time. I don't burn many so I just get up and open another beer, by the time I'm done, so is the DVD. Also the site says that the burn time for cds does not increase (in case you are making those).

Steve (The other One) BTW, you do not have to have EMC 7.5 to use LightScribe. I am running ver 7.1.1.189 and have the LightScribe drive and it works fine. When I say fine, that doesn't mean I like it (Referring to the program that HP or LightScribe has. The drive works great and Roxio does recognize it for all other program use). I have used it a couple of times and it takes 20 minutes or more to burn a disk (And BTW, you do need to have the special LightScribe Media) that has only a title and subtitle and a very simple photo. It is slower than molassas !! And another thing, it is not capable of burning in color, YET !

Frank..........

Thanks to everyone who answered my question you have been very helpful.

If you need a new burner soon, you might also consider "Lightscribe" enabled although I think the printers that print directly on the disc are more visually appealing (and faster). You need the 7.5 or higher to use lightscribe.

Archived