Servo Failure Error

rob_blackburn

Question

I am getting an intermittent failure whilst burning dvd's and this is what it says.

THE DRIVE REPORTED AN ERROR.

SENSE KEY = HARDWARE ERROR

SENSE CODE= 0x09,0x01

TRACKING SERVO FAILURE

Does anyone have a clue? I have a g5 imac ie 2 months old with latest Tiger OS

Even slowing the burner down to 4 x or 2x won't stop it happening.

Do you think it is an error that needs to go to the hardware guy?

Rob Blackburn

Lennox Head

Australia

4 answers to this question

I can tell you this, it IS NOT a hardware issue. After many failed attempts and getting a similar message, I gave Toast 6 a try. NO PROBLEMS!

I had also tried upgrading to 7.02 which did not solve the issue. This is definately an issue with the software.

My error read:

sense key=illegal request

sense code=0x21, 0x02

buffer underrun

I just tried this and it worked for me using 7.02

Instead of burning right away, go to "save as disc image" and save movie. When finished, go to the copy disc window, choose "disc image file" setting on left sidebar, and then choose the file you previously saved. It will be followed by .toast . Then burn from there. I had no problem doing it that way.

Best of Luck.

Instead of burning right away, go to "save as disc image" and save movie. When finished, go to the copy disc window, choose "disc image file" setting on left sidebar, and then choose the file you previously saved. It will be followed by .toast . Then burn from there. I had no problem doing it that way.

I always save as a image file, and then burn a disc from the image file. The same problem occurs every so often. I think that it's a combo between my drive and Toast, since this never happens when I use the drive that came with my G4. It only happens with my new drive (PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-110D) that I installed in my second optical bay. Hey, Rob, what drive is in your G5?

I tried to do a little test. I took the image file that I created in toast that failed to burn, mounted it on the desktop, then used Disk Utility to burn it to disc. It worked! Unfortunately, I tried to burn it with Toast, and this time the burn was successful - so it proves nothing.

I think that from now on, when I use Toast to author a disc, I'll use Disk Utility to burn it and see if the problem occurs.

Archived