• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 11 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Creating bootable XP CD-ROM

steigw

Question

Remember the old days when you could make a floppy bootable by typing "format a: /s"? I'm looking for similar simplicity to create a bootable XP cd-rom.

Using Creator Classic, I see under projects that I can choose "bootable disc". I then have choose emulation. None of the floppy options work as my computer doesn't have a floppy. choosing "no emulation" or "hard disc emulation" causes classic to ask me to browse for the image file it will burn to the disc.

I don't have an image file to burn to the disc and I guess this is where my disconnect is. Can't classic just grab what it needs from the local hard disc and create the bootable CD? If I have to make an image file, what does it need in it?

I sure could use some help! Thanks!

4 answers to this question

The XP cd is bootable.If you're trying to add things like updates or service packs to your disc then you need a program similar to Nlite.

I've used the CD that came with the computer, but it appears to only be a recovery CD that drops the original image back on the hard drive.

I don't have an image file to burn to the disc and I guess this is where my disconnect is. Can't classic just grab what it needs from the local hard disc and create the bootable CD? If I have to make an image file, what does it need in it?

Are you trying to create a slipstreamed cd/dvd for XP or a disk that starts with something you created? This article may be of use. It shows how to grab the iso file from XP to create a bootable disk in Step 4. http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windo..._slipstream.asp Your hard drive will not contain the needed iso file.

I've used the CD that came with the computer, but it appears to only be a recovery CD that drops the original image back on the hard drive.

Any bootable cd you're going to make is going to need the original XP disc.You either need an XP disc or maybe if your computer has it,a folder or partition that has an image of XP.The disc you have just restores your computer to it's factory condition.

Archived