DLA data not compitable with Drag To Disc reading computers

mikeburgroxio

Question

I have been using Version 6 of Easy DVD Creator.

I put Version 9 on my new computer & found out that data CD's written with it's DLA were not readable by my other computers that were loaded with Drag To Disc that came with Version 6.

The other computers are using Drag To Disc for creating & reading & can not read Version 9's DLA.

What version (7, 7.5, or 8) still uses Drag To Disc for creating data discs that Drag To Disc with Version 6 can still read?

Thanks,

mikeburgroxio

PS. I am using Windows 2000 Professional on all the computers!

12 answers to this question

I have been using Version 6 of Easy DVD Creator.

I put Version 9 on my new computer & found out that data CD's written with it's DLA were not readable by my other computers that were loaded with Drag To Disc that came with Version 6.

The other computers are using Drag To Disc for creating & reading & can not read Version 9's DLA.

What version (7, 7.5, or 8) still uses Drag To Disc for creating data discs that Drag To Disc with Version 6 can still read?

Thanks,

mikeburgroxio

Read this entire post:

http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=14628

Wonderful! You guys are great to share this with me!

1st of all, I purchased V9 in a sealed full retail version from Best Buy locally.

2nd of all, I am running service pack 4 on W2K.

I also really appreciate someone explaining to me that D2D means Drag To Disk, I had not caught on to that year & so things were confusing.

I did not realize that D2D was unreliable & subject to be phased out of existance. It's a shame because it's so convenient to merely right click a file or folder & send it to the DVD drive where I can use the files on other computers like at home or my laptop as well as store versions to refer back to in future years!

I can't believer Roxio developed such a thing. These software companies can get away with murder! The larger they are, the more they can get away with. I think they should warn me on the outside of the package that installing V9 on W2K, prior D2D is not fully compitable. I ran into this too with Quick Books Pro. As a CPA I have to buy each year's version to work on various client's particular version. Also, if a client updates one of their computers versions, they have to buy that version for all their computers.

Also, when I called Roxio sales, the man on the phone shared absolutely none of this. It was clear to see he merely wanted to brush me off. However, even though I was persistent he merely stated that it should work just find.

Now that you explained this to me, it will help me tremendously.

mikeburgroxio

It's not just a Roxio thing or D2d thing. The same problem exist with other packe writing software (DLA, InCD, etc..). Each brand/flavor of it isn't compatible with each other, and as technology advances, even versions become incompatible with each other.

IMHO, for burning discs for storage, you're better off using regular session based apps, like Creator Classic in EMC (you can tell it's not packet writing because it does not need to format the cd's). For sharing or copying files these days, flash drives are easier, cheaper, larger capacity, and more reliable.

Thank you very much for the information.

However, it does not answer my question.

mikeburgroxio

All three of them.

EMC 9 actually has available two packet writers. It installs Drag to Disc if it's compatible with your system, if not it installs the DLA one. Sounds like your system is not compatible with the newest version of Drag to Disc in EMC 9.

Thank you very much for the information.

However, it does not answer my question.

mikeburgroxio

I don't use Drag to Disc, because of its unreliability, so I can't answer your question. Someone should drop in who knows.

Thank you very much for that information.

I am running all my computers under Windows 2000 pro. I did a "Complete" install of version 9.

Should I have run a "Custom" where I can choose Drag to Disc?

What version (6, 7, or 8) did DLA start with?

mikeburgroxio

You must have at least SP4 for V9 to work.

V9 is the first to offer DLA and since D2D will not work on W2K OS, DLA is installed.

All of your earlier discs should be fully Readable on you system with DLA installed.

You will not be able to Write to any of them! However that would be true of both DLA, or V9 D2D!

Reality test:

Packet writing is the least reliable form of burning ever devised!

PW is changing and will not be compatible with older forms of it, you just experienced it!

Smart money is on using Data CD/DVD's that are 100% rock solid and have never changed format since they were first introduced! – This would be a lot better than trying to find some Band-Aid fix that isn't going to work in a year or two!

I am running all my computers under Windows 2000 pro. I did a "Complete" install of version 9.

mikeburgroxio

It should have installed Drag to Disc automatically. You don't have the option not to install it.

You didn't by chance install the Trial Version of EMC 9, did you? The Trial Version does not include Drag to Disc.

mikeburgroxio

DLA was originally the Sonic packet writing software. Now that Sonic and Roxio are one company (7.5 was the first combined suite) they have both DLA and D2D (D2D short for Drag to Disc). Typically, D2D is installed in v 7.5, 8 and 9. in your case, since you are using W2000 for an OS, v 9 installs the DLA one because the D2D in v 9 is not compatible with that OS. So doing a custom install will not help. It still will not install D2D even under that.

Archived