• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 16 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

myDVD runs slow, choppy, glitchy, etc

splitsticks

Question

I recently got EMC9 and dove right into my first dvd, this all on my old laptop, which was just too slow and old. So yesterday I picked up a new laptop (turion 64 x2 1.8ghz 2gb ram) with windows vista. After getting the computer all set up and running smooth, I attempted to install EMC9. I went through hell. I got the "driver blocked" security message, the "please insert the disk" message where no disk satisfies it, and the "couldn't verify cd key" message. After hours searching and fixing these problems, I FINALLY got to try out myDVD on my new laptop, hoping for much increased performance, and all I got were bugs and problems. First off, all menu text is jagges, pixelated, and rough instead of smooth as it should be. The display window does not refresh on its own (for instance, if you select a new menu, it won't refresh and show you that menu unless you grab the myDVD window and move it, forcing a refresh) Also, clicking on ANYTHING, text, movie tiles, buttons, causes an annoying albeit brief 2-second period of frantic glitchy loading as the new item is selected and "settings" are updated. That last thing isn't too bad, but it is very annoying, and it does indicate that something isn't working as it should be. Switching between selections was always quick and smooth on my old windows xp laptop. Another thing: often when I try to rename a menu of some kind (such as renaming to "III") it won't input my keystrokes and instead inputs chinese-looking gibberish like you see here.

Unfortunately, I really have no way to illustrate the refresh problem, which is the worst problem of all. It just doesn't refresh a thing unless you move the window and force it too, so every time I change text, add a button, resize a movie, anything, I have to force it to refresh so that I can see the change.

I had none of these glitchy issues with my old windows XP laptop and it sucks because I was way into the whole DVD making thing when I switched, and now I have a ton of problems to overcome, not to mention the money I put into the program...

I'd appreciate any help anyone can give me. Really, anything, I'm at a loss.

4 answers to this question

It sure looks to be a language issue. Do you have windows setup to read Asian languages? If so, can you temporarily disable it?

I suspect your speed issue may be the media manager trying to index all of your assets. If you let it run for a while, your machine should return back to it's regular speed.

Alright, the language thing turned out to be windows deciding that I was trying to type in chinese, because I had the shift key (apparently the chinese button) held down while I typed... because, who ever types multiple capital letters in a row :glare:

The editing window still won't refresh unless I force it too, and the program stalls about once every 10 minutes, but I really want to make this dvd, so I'm dealing with it. Just now I was setting a thumbnail point for a movie button, and the whole program just closed, out of nowhere. Now when I try to restart mydvd, it gives me a message "ERROR: unable to load skin" and refuses to start. I can't believe I paid for this abuse, but dammit if it were working properly it'd be a great program.

I got it sunday, and it doesn't have a ton of media on it, just my old "my documents" folder. I bet there is some preinstalled crap running in the background that's slowing it down. Probably an HP health checker or something, though I get the feeling that it's just vista being a bitch. I'll go on the hunt and report back if I kill anything useful. ^_^

Also thanks a ton for the help!

Archived