• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 34 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

VCWU

Activiation - "No permisson - Bad installation"

Question

After numerous problem with MyDVD to run, (encoding error on menu, Win XP and ATI 128pro old video card) , I have tried to install EMC 9 on a different computer.

Installation went okay. When start MyDVD, it asked for Activation for the MPEG (I did not see that request on the other machine).

I have an error as "No permission - Bad Installation".

Unplug ethernet cable and retry.. Same error.. that caused application to close by itself. Can not find orget to Offline activition button or screen. Why to find it ?

Frustrated Customer: Vincet...

P4 2.8G, 512MB, 16xDVD-RW, ATI 9250 video coard... Win2000 SP4, IE 6.0

25 answers to this question

Try the Clean Install instructions to remove and reinstall the software. That seems to be what's worked for others that got that.

*** CLEAN INSTALL LINKS ****

XP: http://kb.roxio.com/content/kb/Creator/000086CR

Vista: http://kb.roxio.com/content/kb/Creator/000127CR

Larry may be leading you down the same frustrating path many of us have followed to no success. The bottom line is we are all guessing what causes these activation snafus and the Roxio product management team (if there is one) doesn't seem to want to admit they are also lost on this. The customer service folks , nice enough AS THEY ARE, WILL LEAD YOU IN CIRCLES. After several days you will give up which is what Roxio management wants because they are as lost as the product management folks. Only hope is they get some competent Sr Management - they get some technical proficiency and 3 months from now they provide a real system release that dumps this archaic activation process in the first place. I also hope the realize the need for a real roxio uninstaller that rips every registry entry from roxio out of the registry file (ever see the number of entries left after the windows uninstaller process?).

If I'm off base here let me hear it.

You are.

Your rant adds nothing of value to the topic.

Larry may be leading you down the same frustrating path many of us have followed to no success. The bottom line is we are all guessing what causes these activation snafus and the Roxio product management team (if there is one) doesn't seem to want to admit they are also lost on this. The customer service folks , nice enough AS THEY ARE, WILL LEAD YOU IN CIRCLES. After several days you will give up which is what Roxio management wants because they are as lost as the product management folks. Only hope is they get some competent Sr Management - they get some technical proficiency and 3 months from now they provide a real system release that dumps this archaic activation process in the first place. I also hope the realize the need for a real roxio uninstaller that rips every registry entry from roxio out of the registry file (ever see the number of entries left after the windows uninstaller process?).

I've run into my share of these problems and what Larry suggests has worked for me the vast majority of the time. Why it does for some and not others, I don't know. Why some have activation problems and not others, I don't know. It seems that EMC may be a bit weak when other programs are installed. That's just my take as I'm in no way knowledgeable in registry problems but if programs like Norton WinDoctor and others effect it, then, it needs to be protected from this.

(ever see the number of entries left after the windows uninstaller process?).
But that applies to ANY application that uses the Windows Installer. But the thing is I'm not sure any of the other installers like WISE or InstallShield do that much better of a job. It's more likely an OS issue. Keeps the Registry cleaner apps writers busy. :) Some of those are even known to remove entries that shouldn't be removed. Can't win.........

Anyway, I think you are correct. It is a registry entry. I had this problem ONCE. Even cleaned the registry with my fav tool. Still had it. Then I MANUALLY searched the registry and found two entries left. Unfortunately, I didn't write them down, but removing them fixed it.

You are.

Your rant adds nothing of value to the topic.

Larry,

There is a difference between ranting and coming to truth. :)

But that applies to ANY application that uses the Windows Installer. But the thing is I'm not sure any of the other installers like WISE or InstallShield do that much better of a job. It's more likely an OS issue. Keeps the Registry cleaner apps writers busy. :) Some of those are even known to remove entries that shouldn't be removed. Can't win.........

Anyway, I think you are correct. It is a registry entry. I had this problem ONCE. Even cleaned the registry with my fav tool. Still had it. Then I MANUALLY searched the registry and found two entries left. Unfortunately, I didn't write them down, but removing them fixed it.

Gary,

Thanks for the feedback. I think you are right in all your comments. With respect to the registry entries you may have removed, it would be useful to know. I also have unwittingly corrected problems without remembering exact steps taken.

Perhaps a list of all known roxio entries would be useful. If you do a find on 'Roxio" in the registry, there must be a hundred or more.

Larry,

There is a difference between ranting and coming to truth. :)

You asked if anyone thought you were off base. In this topic for the question the OP had, I still say you were. You're post was a rant, mainly about something else and eluded that my suggestion to the OP was not going to help. The truth is, it has worked and helped others with that issue.

I've run into my share of these problems and what Larry suggests has worked for me the vast majority of the time. Why it does for some and not others, I don't know. Why some have activation problems and not others, I don't know. It seems that EMC may be a bit weak when other programs are installed. That's just my take as I'm in no way knowledgeable in registry problems but if programs like Norton WinDoctor and others effect it, then, it needs to be protected from this.

Paul,

I appreciate your defense of Larry. I am certain he has offered many help. My comment indicated 'may' only to alert others this is not something that has worked for others and it could cost hours of 'down the rabbit hole'.

Your statement 'Past performance is no indication of future results' pertains to all of us - including Larry.

Thanks for your comments :)

You asked if anyone thought you were off base. In this topic for the question the OP had, I still say you were. You're post was a rant, mainly about something else and eluded that my suggestion to the OP was not going to help. The truth is, it has worked and helped others with that issue.

It has also cost some of us many lost hours. :)

Paul,

I appreciate your defense of Larry. I am certain he has offered many help. My comment indicated 'may' only to alert others this is not something that has worked for others and it could cost hours of 'down the rabbit hole'.

Your statement 'Past performance is no indication of future results' pertains to all of us - including Larry.

Thanks for your comments :)

I wasn't 'defending' anyone! What I stated is based on pure fact. Clean installs have made a difference. Now if you want to argue about whether one should have to go thru that trouble, that's an entirely different argument and I'd bet it would be unanimous that no, we shouldn't have to run thru the clean install to fix problems.

Hopefully, Roxio is improving that in the next version.

I wasn't 'defending' anyone! What I stated is based on pure fact. Clean installs have made a difference. Now if you want to argue about whether one should have to go thru that trouble, that's an entirely different argument and I'd bet it would be unanimous that no, we shouldn't have to run thru the clean install to fix problems.

Hopefully, Roxio is improving that in the next version.

No argument. Point made. :)

By the way. I have just received a response from tech support - 4 pages - single spaced 12 point checklist of un-install - re-install procedure to try. I will time the process and let you know the results and the length of time it takes. :)

" down the same frustrating path many of us have followed to no success. "

The only part of your first post that was relevant to this topic is the quoted part, because as you were saying, that didn't work for you. It's irrelevant who posted the suggestion for the OP, as it's been posted by many others, many times, and has worked for many of them. Obviously not all.

As to the off-topic part about Roxio not doing a good enough job cleaning up after itself, well that applies to just about every software app out there, including Microsoft. None do a good job of cleaning out all there stuff when uninstalling. They all should be better at it so users don't have to rely on some other program, or spend hours manually removing stuff, to clean up the junk left behind.

The only part of your first post that was relevant to this topic is the quoted part, because as you were saying, that didn't work for you. It's irrelevant who posted the suggestion for the OP, as it's been posted by many others, many times, and has worked for many of them. Obviously not all.

As to the off-topic part about Roxio not doing a good enough job cleaning up after itself, well that applies to just about every software app out there, including Microsoft. None do a good job of cleaning out all there stuff when uninstalling. They all should be better at it so users don't have to rely on some other program, or spend hours manually removing stuff, to clean up the junk left behind.

Well here is the 4 page process from Roxio Support - See if you can find the errors in these instructions. It makes it more challenging to have a successful outcome if the instructions are unclear and innaccurate. ( I have reached he reinstall stage - 8 in less than 2 hours)

The following instructions will completely remove Roxio Easy Media Creator.

Make sure you have the downloads or discs to reinstall.

Note that this will also remove any Sonic products from your computer.

Remove any Roxio and Sonic programs from add/remove programs or use the Windows Installer Clean Up Utility if you receive a certificate file error while trying to remove the Roxio program. (Directions below)

Follow the instructions below to use the Microsoft Cleanup Utility to remove software

Download Microsoft windows installer clean up utility

a. Enter the following address into the Address Bar of your web browser:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;290301

b. Scroll down to and click on "Download the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility package now"

c. Click on Save and select to save to your Desktop Install and use the Installer Cleanup Utility to remove Easy Media Creator

a. On your Desktop, double-click on msicuu2.exe file and follow the on-screen instructions to install

b. Click on start, then All programs, and finally Windows Install Cleanup

c. Select any Roxio or Sonic references.

d. Click on Remove

Once that is completed please disable your startup applications using MSCONFIG.

How to disable all startup apps using MSCONFIG

Disabling startup and system tray items

a. Click on the "Start" button, then click select "Run"

b. Type "msconfig" and then click the "OK" button

c. Select the "Startup" tab by left clicking on it

d. Click the "Disable All" button

e. Click the "Apply" button, then click the "OK" button

f. Click the "Restart" button

To reverse this just go back in and click "enable all" and restart

(that can be done once installation is complete)

2.) For the step below you will need to show hidden files.

This can be done by clicking on my computer, go up and click on tools, then folder options. then view. Make sure show hidden folders is checked and click apply.

When you try the step below you may receive a message that a file is in use.

Simply drag that file to your desktop and it can be removed after resarting the computer.

(please note that the username referred to below is the name you use when logged into Windows XP)

2. Delete these folders from your hard drive

C:\Program Files\Roxio

C:\Program Files\Sonic

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic Shared

C:\Documents and Settings\\Application Data\Roxio

C:\Documents and Settings\\Application Data\Sonic

Once completed empty the recycle bin.

3. Remove these keys from the registry:

WARNING: THE NEXT STEP INVOLVES EDITING YOUR SYSTEM REGISTRY. WE STRONGLY RECOMMEND YOU EXPORT

YOUR REGISTRY BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANY EDITING. EDITING YOUR REGISTRY INCORRECTLY CAN CAUSE IRREPARABLE SYSTEM DAMAGE.

To export a copy of your registry, please do the following.

a.Go to "Start" then "Run", type "regedit" and click "OK".

b.Locate and left click "File" in the upper left hand corner of the Registry editor.

c.Click "Export" (Export range All should be selected).

d.Choose a location on your hard drive and give the file a name.

e.Click "Save" Your registry should now be backed up in a .reg file to the location you specified.

Note: if you are not familiar with editing the Registry then you may want to have someone do it for you.

Registry Edit instructions:

Select the "Start" menu-->Select "Run"--->Type: regedit. Click "OK".

Double-click the "HKEY_CURRENT_USER folder" this will expand or open the folder.

b.Locate the "Software" folder

c.Locate the "Roxio" folder

d.Right click on Roxio and click delete.

(do the same for Sonic or Sonic Solutions)

Double-click the "Hkey_Local_Machine folder" this will expand or open the folder.

b.Locate the "Software" folder

c.Locate the "Roxio" folder

d.Right click on Roxio and click delete.

(do the same for Sonic)

4. Restart

5. Download and run roxizap twice:

http://tools.roxio.com/support/tools/roxizap.exe

6. Please download, install and run Abexo Registry Cleaner to make sure that your registry is in good working order:

http://www.download.com/3001-2094_4-10434887.html

Important Note: Abexo is not a Sonic/Roxio application and as such Roxio does not offer any warranty or assistance with this application. By using this application you understand that Roxio does not assume any responsibility or liability for problems arising from its use.

7. Create a new XP Account by following these instructions:

Instructions on how to create a new account can be found at the Microsoft link below.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...783&sd=tech

8. Reinstall.

9. Update the Sonic Activation Module

a. Click on start, then All programs, and finally Windows Install Cleanup

b. Locate the Sonic Activation Module

c. Click on Remove

Then go to this link and download the file.

http://patches.sonic.com/techsupport/Activation.zip

Save this one to your desktop as well.

Double click on the file and it will open and show an 'Activation.exe' file, double click on that to run it. Follow the prompts to install the program.

10. Update your application with the PatchApp update:

a. Go to this link and download the file.

http://patches.sonic.com/techsupport/patchapp.zip

Save this one to your desktop as well.

Double click on the file and it will open and show a patchapp.exe file, double click on that to run it. Wait 5 seconds to ensure that it has run (it does so silently). Double click it again and wait for it to run. (you should have ran the patchapp.exe file twice).

11. Restart.

12. Open Videowave or MyDVD, attempt to use the application.

If the information provided does not resolve your issue simply update your webticket with a detailed explanation with the steps you have tried and any error messages you receive.

Regards,

Roxio Technical Support

http://support.roxio.com

Have you tried our online self-service tools? For instant support, please try one of the tools below:

Roxanne - http://roxio.com/en/support/nh/index.jhtml

Knowledgebase - http://search.roxio.com/

We are always looking for ways to improve so please click on the link below to complete our online support survey.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.asp?u=806342804448

Thank you for your comments and we appreciate the feedback

(NPS)

I bought my new Dell desktop with preistalled EMC9 DE one month ago. I started having problem 2 weeks back when my EMC9 won't launch without internet connection. Hoping to repairing it by unistalled/reistalled several time by using install/uninstall programme, things getting worse, myDVD disappeared. Managed to recovered the file at one point but can't use it as it requires MPEG2 codec activation. Following all instruction to activate but failed. Very frustracting. Thinking to switch to Nero. Till yesterday when I read your post, I printed it out and follow your instruction accurately, I did a clean unistall (which I didn't do it previously), perform clean install and activated it. MAGIC, it works! Thanks God, I love you baby, Thanks "frustrated customer2". The only things that I could not run was the instruction no.10, I was unable to run the PathcApp update. I had been trying many times and waited even up to 30 min, still there was no response. Is this patch important? What will it try to fix?

I still can't use my EMC9 without internet connection. After going through all the painful experience, I think I just use my EMC9 with my broadband on all the time, and wait for any future update to solve the issue.

I bought my new Dell desktop with preistalled EMC9 DE one month ago. I started having problem 2 weeks back when my EMC9 won't launch without internet connection. Hoping to repairing it by unistalled/reistalled several time by using install/uninstall programme, things getting worse, myDVD disappeared. Managed to recovered the file at one point but can't use it as it requires MPEG2 codec activation. Following all instruction to activate but failed. Very frustracting. Thinking to switch to Nero. Till yesterday when I read your post, I printed it out and follow your instruction accurately, I did a clean unistall (which I didn't do it previously), perform clean install and activated it. MAGIC, it works! Thanks God, I love you baby, Thanks "frustrated customer2". The only things that I could not run was the instruction no.10, I was unable to run the PathcApp update. I had been trying many times and waited even up to 30 min, still there was no response. Is this patch important? What will it try to fix?

I still can't use my EMC9 without internet connection. After going through all the painful experience, I think I just use my EMC9 with my broadband on all the time, and wait for any future update to solve the issue.

There may not be any update to fix the having to be connected to the internet problem. That is a problem that is exclusive to OEM versions of the software. It doesn't happen with the Retail versions.

Edited by grandpabruce

Waiting for the release of EMC9.1 update. Not sure whether it will fix my "internet connection" problem

Just found the EMC9.1 update here:

but only for Window XP or 2000, not for Vista.

Seems I have to wait for another update rectify my problem.

You might want to read the first sentence in the screen that comes up. :blink::blink::blink::blink:
I don't know where you got that link form, since there is no link on the support pages yet for the 9.1 uipdate, but I don;t think it's any good yet. Those download links try to lead to the old v8 update at this point. I'd wait until they officially post the updates on their regular support pages as the one you linked to seems to be a work in progress still at the moment.

I got it from: Roxio comm>EMCP>EMC9>Window Vista, newly posted by one user. I think I might have misinterpreted it wrongly, sorry!

Since the last "successful" intallation, I haven't tried it out till 2 days back, when I tried to burn my audio file, the programme failed, showing: " A suitable drive was not detected. Please attach a drive and try again" and when trying to burn my VCD/DVD file, the programme also failed, showing:"RoxWizard Launcher module has stopped working".

I had tried clean unintalled/reinstalled twice, still same problem.

I got it from: Roxio comm>EMCP>EMC9>Window Vista, newly posted by one user. I think I might have misinterpreted it wrongly, sorry!

Since the last "successful" intallation, I haven't tried it out till 2 days back, when I tried to burn my audio file, the programme failed, showing: " A suitable drive was not detected. Please attach a drive and try again" and when trying to burn my VCD/DVD file, the programme also failed, showing:"RoxWizard Launcher module has stopped working".

I had tried clean unintalled/reinstalled twice, still same problem.

Try the PX engine patch, and see if Roxio sees your DVD or CD burner.

http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=4194

Bruce- I too am getting the "the following codec(s) must be activated before using this application... and 'bad installation" error for the MPEG-2 codec. I have a 13 month old Dell XPS w/4GB of memory (added to insure that wasn't the problem), a 2.79GHz processor, 400GB of spare hard drive space, I have been working on this for 4 weekends. It started because MyDVD froze up when starting the burn, so I followed the instructions to eliminate the OEM installed Sonic/Roxio apps, clean the registry and bluescreened the computer. Did the system restore and finally got the machine running, but still didn't have Roxio running. After a lot of handwringing, I finally committed to a fresh xp install, so I did a complete format and reinstall of xp and installed roxio as the first software and still got the same MPEG-2 errors. After 4 weekends, I am reluctant to start this process again. I have installed 30 other apps on the machine w/no problem, except this one. There has to be something simple that is being missed. How do we find out if the product is being repaired by Roxio? Ideas?

Bruce- I too am getting the "the following codec(s) must be activated before using this application... and 'bad installation" error for the MPEG-2 codec. I have a 13 month old Dell XPS w/4GB of memory (added to insure that wasn't the problem), a 2.79GHz processor, 400GB of spare hard drive space, I have been working on this for 4 weekends. It started because MyDVD froze up when starting the burn, so I followed the instructions to eliminate the OEM installed Sonic/Roxio apps, clean the registry and bluescreened the computer. Did the system restore and finally got the machine running, but still didn't have Roxio running. After a lot of handwringing, I finally committed to a fresh xp install, so I did a complete format and reinstall of xp and installed roxio as the first software and still got the same MPEG-2 errors. After 4 weekends, I am reluctant to start this process again. I have installed 30 other apps on the machine w/no problem, except this one. There has to be something simple that is being missed. How do we find out if the product is being repaired by Roxio? Ideas?

You don't think that by installing "30 other apps on the machine you might have induced some problems???

For some the activation is a difficult and persistent problem. You can be pretty well assured that Roxio is not working on it! You can also be assured that they wish they had never thought of it!

You are going to have to do the Clean install and follow the procedure pined to this forum. If it doesn't work, open a support ticket.

I know this doesn't help, but I have installed this program about 10 times and have yet to have any problem with the activation…

James- my only point in mentioning the 30 apps I installed was that I didn't have problems w/them. They were what I had to reinstall since I did a clean install of windows, on a reformatted hard drive all for the EMC 9 problem solving. Don't know if I was clear before.

So, that being said, are you recommending I reinstall again? I did that before and it forced me to a system restore since I wiped out something that was needed to operate the machine. That is why I went to the format and XP install, then EMC9 only and still had the problem

Thank you for responding-Mike

Edited by Mahimike

Try the PX engine patch, and see if Roxio sees your DVD or CD burner.

http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=4194

Bruce, I had tried that link but it didn't work for me.

I just remember that I forgot to do one thing after the installation.

I went back to "start"->"msconfig"->enable all button again in "services" & "startup".

And now I have successfully burned my CD&VCD.

I will try out other functions as well when I am free.

Thanks, Bruce.

Bruce, I had tried that link but it didn't work for me.

I just remember that I forgot to do one thing after the installation.

I went back to "start"->"msconfig"->enable all button again in "services" & "startup".

And now I have successfully burned my CD&VCD.

I will try out other functions as well when I am free.

Thanks, Bruce.

You are welcome, and high fives to you for getting up and running.