EMC8 - DVD Burning

Cheryl55

Question

Is this the default version that Roxio burns in its program. If so how can I manually change the setting to version 1.02 ? Some users have reported that video DVD's burned on their computers in UDF version 1.5 are not compatible with their set-top video DVD players. These players seem to be only compatible with UDF version 1.02.

" As some popular DVD burning programs such as Roxio's Easy CD & DVD Creator default to UDF version 1.5 when burning video DVDs, users have found it necessary to avoid using the software wizard and instead manually configure the burn to version 1.02 "

I got this off of another site. Can anyone confirm this information.

I do have a burned video disk that does not work off of a stand-alone and am wondering if that is why.

How can I go into EMC8 and change the version even though I know its to late on the already burned disk? I just don't want to make the same mistake on any others I burn . If this small change makes all my DVD's work on all stand alone players than I'll stick with the 1.02 version.

16 answers to this question

Your Plextor is an external, but it is a lot better than the burner Gateway put in your machine.

But, that may not be the problem. If what you burned plays in many DVD players, and not in one player, the one player probably doesn't like the media you are using.

You mean the make of the Disks? Memorex or Maxell?

Any suggestions or do you have a preference? Any insite as to the color? purple or gold or clear?

You mean the make of the Disks? Memorex or Maxell?

Any suggestions or do you have a preference? Any insite as to the color? purple or gold or clear?

That's exactly what I mean. The discs are called media. Memorex is junk, and some Maxell is. Try some Verbatim discs.

BTW, when referring to DVD (optical) media, it is called a disc. When referring to a CD, it is called a disk. Someone, who had nothing better to do, named them that way. :)

T

BTW, when referring to DVD (optical) media, it is called a disc. When referring to a CD, it is called a disk. Someone, who had nothing better to do, named them that way. :)

Not quite correct, Bruce.

When do you use "disc" and when do you use "disk"?

A
disc
refers to optical media, such as an audio CD, CD-ROM, DVD-ROM, DVD-RAM, or DVD-Video disc. All discs are removable, meaning when you unmount or eject the disc from your desktop or Finder, it physically comes out of your computer.

A
disk
refers to magnetic media, such as a floppy disk or the disk in a hard drive or iPod. Disks are always rewritable unless intentionally locked or write-protected.

Although both discs and disks are circular, disks are usually sealed inside a metal or plastic casing (often a disk and its enclosing mechanism are collectively known as a "hard drive").

Both CDs and DVDs are optical media because they use lasers to burn the data to the discs.

Not quite correct, Bruce.

When do you use "disc" and when do you use "disk"?

A
disc
refers to optical media, such as an audio CD, CD-ROM, DVD-ROM, DVD-RAM, or DVD-Video disc. All discs are removable, meaning when you unmount or eject the disc from your desktop or Finder, it physically comes out of your computer.

A
disk
refers to magnetic media, such as a floppy disk or the disk in a hard drive or iPod. Disks are always rewritable unless intentionally locked or write-protected.

Although both discs and disks are circular, disks are usually sealed inside a metal or plastic casing (often a disk and its enclosing mechanism are collectively known as a "hard drive").

Both CDs and DVDs are optical media because they use lasers to burn the data to the discs.

True, but if you go to most forums, and also look at most burning software, they call a CD a disk, and they call a DVD a disc. Right or wrong, that is what I have seen, over the years.

True, but if you go to most forums, and also look at most burning software, they call a CD a disk, and they call a DVD a disc. Right or wrong, that is what I have seen, over the years.

Take a look at a CD box. I am sure it will say "Compact Disc" and refer to the discs as disc.

Lets get back to what's important. Does it matter what the color on the media is in regards to whether the player will play it? (purple, gold, clear). Also the manufacturers (maxall, memorex, verbatim)?

Re-read post 9.

Color does not matter.

I found this statement about Roxio under a UDF explanation in http://en.wikipedia.org

I created a project video for a client. I compared her player with 3 other different players. All players are identical except for her player which does not play DVD-RW and SVCD.

I created the video on a DVD-R and a DVD+R and it still won't play on her machine. But it will play on all of my machines. Because of this problem, this is why I resorted to the 1.02 version under the UDF explanation, especially since Roxio was mentioned by name and there was a compatability issue with 1.05 that Roxio defaults to.

If its not the media, if its not the UDF flavor, then what is it? the color of the CD I use? I'm stumped. I hate to tell the customer to go buy a new DVD player.

What's the make/model of your dvd burner?

Some burners let you set the BookType for +R/RW discs to be DVD-Rom. Setting it that way can help with set top players that are picky about playing home made discs.

TSST Corp CD/DVDW TS-H552D (this is in my Gateway)

Maybe I should switch back to my Plextor PX-708UF, would that be better?

Cheryl: So in the end it is only one Player that will not play your burned DVD, correct?

You indicated that, that Player will not accept DVD-RW. It would be likely that it would not accept any 'dash' media.

The only other thing I can suggest is that you see if you can find a 'bit setting' utility for your burner. This would be from the manufacture of the burner and may be described as a utility to set 'plus' media to DVD-ROM.

The utility is run outside of Roxio and sets the drive to set all 'plus' media as DVD-ROM. It is intended for old players made before 'plus' media was introduced. Sometimes it will help.

Still the cold reality is that your clients player may never work!

I gave a new Player to someone and the only disc I can burn is a DVD+RW. No other burned discs will work in that Player and even those +RW's don't work 100%.

Depending on your relation with this client, you may want to include a new Player with the disc…

TSST Corp CD/DVDW TS-H552D (this is in my Gateway)

Maybe I should switch back to my Plextor PX-708UF, would that be better?

Your Plextor is an external, but it is a lot better than the burner Gateway put in your machine.

But, that may not be the problem. If what you burned plays in many DVD players, and not in one player, the one player probably doesn't like the media you are using.

Archived