• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 22 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Cindy

Activating MPEG-2 codecs

Question

I just upgraded tp easy creator 9 and I keep getting the message first must activate codecs MPEG-2 no matter what I try to open,when I click on ok I then get another box showing just two arrows and a circled checked already(there is no text or imagages int the box,I then click on an arrow and a third arrow shows with the same rectangle boxes you get that requires the purchase code,I tried adding my code since I'm not sure what I'm being asked for since all is blank and that's not correct,when I try another arrow I get the printer box ,I'm not sure what this is,any suggestions?

16 answers to this question

I just upgraded tp easy creator 9 and I keep getting the message first must activate codecs MPEG-2 no matter what I try to open,when I click on ok I then get another box showing just two arrows and a circled checked already(there is no text or imagages int the box,I then click on an arrow and a third arrow shows with the same rectangle boxes you get that requires the purchase code,I tried adding my code since I'm not sure what I'm being asked for since all is blank and that's not correct,when I try another arrow I get the printer box ,I'm not sure what this is,any suggestions?

First, make sure you shut down any pop up blockers and firewalls until mpeg is activated. Then, visit the Activation section to see some suggestions.

I purchased Roxio 9 upgrade by download,now it closes after asking for activating Mpeg-2 codec to work,I see blank boxes for a code,my serial # is only 17 charactors,where do i find the 25 charactor activation product code I need ,my software keeps closing this is frustrating,Please help!

I am having the same problem Cindy describes. The automatic activation of MPEG-2 codec fails just as she describes it, with a pop up window that is mostly blank (making it difficult to navigate!).

I have tried the offline procedure, but was never presented with any option to select offline activation.

I have wondered if any of this is related to my inability to register the product, which has been another fiasco. The automatic registration fails to connect to the registration server (many tries over several weeks) and my attempts on the Roxio registration web site consistently return the message: "Sorry an error occured registering your product. Please try again later."

I haven't had any issues with error messages indicating a bad install or anything like that, but this software is pretty useless if you can't write a production to DVD.

Any advice?

ozonide

You can manually register here

The oversized window could be down to your desktop settings - set that to 1024 x 768 and 96 DPI and see if it's any better

You can manually register here

The oversized window could be down to your desktop settings - set that to 1024 x 768 and 96 DPI and see if it's any better

That manual registration site is exactly where I get the error message I referred to.

Not sure what you mean by the oversized window - I haven't seen anything like that. The window that appears after the failed activation of MPEG-2 codec looks as though it has only partially loaded - buttons, but no labels, and a set of five rectangular boxes (presumably to accept the activation code) but, again, unlabeled.

ozonide

If you're getting a partial window, the normal reason for that is the desktop settings, but if yours are as I suggested, did you turn off any pop-up blockers, etc?

If you're getting a partial window, the normal reason for that is the desktop settings, but if yours are as I suggested, did you turn off any pop-up blockers, etc?

desktop settings are as you indicate, and pop up blocker is disabled, but still the same result. The window I see looks as though it hasn't loaded completely, but I've tried waiting and no change. This happens after a series of 'script' errors.

A bit of a long shot, but what browser are you using? I use Firefox myself with the Java plug-in enabled.

It could be worth a shot (always remember that no MS browser is W3C compliant - maybe MS wants to re-invent the web :lol: )

A bit of a long shot, but what browser are you using? I use Firefox myself with the Java plug-in enabled.

It could be worth a shot (always remember that no MS browser is W3C compliant - maybe MS wants to re-invent the web :lol: )

I wonder if you are on to something here . . . I, too, use Firefox, but have MS Explorer installed as well. Is it possible that the Creator activation tries to use the 'wrong' browser? I'll have to check this when I get home this evening.

Let us know how you get on - it was just a very long shot (blindfolded and in the dark too) to think 'browser'

But for the life of me I can't see why FF would throw up blanks - I found it a lot more reliable than IE

Unless there's a problem with an extension or plug-in - anything is possible I suppose

Let us know how you get on - it was just a very long shot (blindfolded and in the dark too) to think 'browser'

But for the life of me I can't see why FF would throw up blanks - I found it a lot more reliable than IE

Unless there's a problem with an extension or plug-in - anything is possible I suppose

Off topic but had to say this. I visit the forums daily and I have noticed that your posts are extremely useful yet I seldom see any "thank you" for your efforts. Though you have not had the opportunity to help me directly with any problems, I would like to say thank you for the help you have provided indirectly to me with your responses to others .

Now somewhat on topic - I am a software engineer in a large company where IE is the corporate standard, intranet applications have to work on IE only. However, to satisfy my own curiosity, I have FF on my production machine, my web based applications (created using Visual Studio complemented with a lot of client side coding) will look great on IE, but look like crap on FF - gapping holes where things do not appear or do not appear in the correct place, yet I would not have even came close to thinking of the browser possibly being the cause of this problem. Even if it turns out to not be the problem, to have thought of it as a possibility is fantastic.

Edited by who are you

You have to remember that there are a lot of sites out there made with Frontpage extensions. Now I don't know if you ever looked at the html that is produced by Frontpage but, according to a web designer friend of mine, it needs degunged - badly :lol:

The problem is twofold - FP extensions only look good in IE, but IE isn't W3C compliant (and contrary to what MS might like to have you think, they did NOT invent the web. Whether it was invented in Switzerland or France really depends on which end of the CERN tunnel Tim Berners-Lee's office was in ;) )

MS is determined to claim 'ownership' of the web - why else would they go so far outside the international standards with their products? If you think that a far-fetched notion - remember when they tried to mould Java in their own image until Sun hauled their corporate posteriors into court and made them stop messing around with it.

I am having the same problem Cindy describes. The automatic activation of MPEG-2 codec fails just as she describes it, with a pop up window that is mostly blank (making it difficult to navigate!).

I have tried the offline procedure, but was never presented with any option to select offline activation.

I have wondered if any of this is related to my inability to register the product, which has been another fiasco.

The automatic registration fails to connect to the registration server (many tries over several weeks) and my attempts on the Roxio registration web site consistently return the message: "Sorry an error occured registering your product. Please try again later."

I haven't had any issues with error messages indicating a bad install or anything like that, but this software is pretty useless if you can't write a production to DVD.

Any advice?

ozonide

I tried this and finallyu had success,maybe this will work for you also:

These are the instructions for a clean installation. Clean Installation of Easy Media Creator on XP http://kb.roxio.com/content/kb/Creator/000086CR Clean Install Instructions for Creator 9 on Windows Vista

gi70my and Cindy,

Thanks very much for your help. I was able to (finally) get this activation to work. Wish I could say specifically what did it. I did find that it was Internet Explorer that was generating the script error windows, but I never figured out how to stop IE from appearing. I thought I had uninstalled it (including by removing Widows compoents), but it kept coming back. I thought of driving a wooden stake through my computer, or shooting it with a silver bullet, but decided to try other things first.

I then went through the clean install process (twice), and activation worked after the second time! I had some trouble deleting folders, sincce my system would not let me delete a file called "shellex.dll." Druing the second install, I was again unable to remove this one, and also a second one, "dlaap-w.dll." Presumably, those aren't involved in this problem. During the second install, I also fourd an application "Sonic DVD and CD Burning" in the Add and Remove Windows Component tab on Add or Remove Progams Utility (after I had unistalled all the Sonic and Roxio applications in the usual way). Don't know if that was the key thing or not, and doubt that I could repeat the experiment. Anyway, I'm relieved to get past this problem, and thank you for your guidance.

I must admit, however, that I am uneasy about the low level of technical support from Roxio, and dread my next problem with this software.

can someone actually help me fix this problem? the mpeg-2 codec actiavation thing..seems everywhere i look in here there is nor eeal answer. so what should i do. junk my creator nine and look for something else? like someone else said somewhere in my miles of posts i read. i do not want to spend the money on naother program and go thru the whole learning curve again? someone have any suggestions? cuz the cleaning up deal and the manually activating deal is not working? help please....

Guest RCD74
can someone actually help me fix this problem? the mpeg-2 codec actiavation thing..seems everywhere i look in here there is nor eeal answer. so what should i do. junk my creator nine and look for something else? like someone else said somewhere in my miles of posts i read. i do not want to spend the money on naother program and go thru the whole learning curve again? someone have any suggestions? cuz the cleaning up deal and the manually activating deal is not working? help please....

Did you ever get any help? I am having the same problems. I had no installation problems from the beginning, the program was working great for months until I went and tried updating to 9.1. BIG MISTAKE!! I now get the Mpeg-2 codec thing - I have tried the offline but no 25 digit code, also uninstalled and reinstalled with no success. Just wondering if you've solved your problem or if you have any suggestions. Thanks!!

Rachel