• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 16 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Sonata SD video card causes Toast 8.0.1 to crash immediately

Denski

Question

Have spent almost 2 solid weeks trying to solve this problem.

OS 10.4.9, QT 7.1.6, all the recent security updates, 1.8GHZ G5 single CPU.

1. Installed Toast 8.0.1 from factory CD (not a download). No other version of Toast was on this G5, prior to trying to install this version.

2. When trying to start the program, the icon would 'bounce' momentarily in the dock and then quit. No error message, etc. Could not get to the point of even entering the CD key.

3. Followed all the suggestions for Perian (not installed) listed in other threads in the Roxio forums.

4. Uninstalled multiple times all parts of Toast (per web support from Roxio), repaired permissions, did complete shutdowns/restarts. None of that helped at all.

5. Problem was with the video card, Sonata SD (Sonnet Technology) which is no longer made. Designed to have a standard VGA and the old Apple 15 pin on the same card. I was hooking up an 1997 Applevision 850 to the Apple 15 pin connector.

6. When I accidentally had to connect a different monitor during the troubleshooting (prior to calling Roxio by phone), the problem disappeared. I connected a flat panel to the G5 Geforce FX 5200 stock video card DVI port, and Toast came up, allowed the complete registration/etc. Restarted, and Toast and all of the other sub-programs (CD Spin Doctor....worked also).

7. Tried connecting a regular VGA to Sonata SD, Toast stopped working (as before), but weirdly, all the other sub-programs continued to function, just not Toast.

8. Connected a regular VGA monitor using the Apple DVI to VGA adaptor cable to the GeForce FX 5200 DVI port, and Toast started up, even with the Sonata card still inside. Problem only occurs when a monitor is connected by either port on the Sonata SD card. I have removed the card from this G5 and will use various video adaptors to connect the monitors to the GeForce FX 5200.

9. No other programs on this G5 seemed to have any problems with this card which has been in the Mac for 2 years with no other obvious conflicts.

So, if anyone else is having these bizarre Toast crashing on starting, consider whether you are using a different video card then what is stock in your Mac. I have done some searching and could find no other instance of a video card and Toast 8 conflict.

2 answers to this question

You're not the only one who hasn't heard of something like this. :)

Can you try this:

1) Launch Toast while connected to your nVidia card

2) Open up Toast Preferences

3) Uncheck "Enable enhanced window animations"

4) Close prefs and quit Toast

Now restart Toast with your display connected to the Sonata card.

Patatrox: Thanks for the suggestion. I will test if I can edit the Toast Prefs as you suggested. So far, Toast has had no problems with the GeForce FX card in the G5. There are quite a few other threads in this Forum dealing with 'crashing' Toast that produces no error message/etc. I sure hope that Roxio is cataloging all these conflicts for their tech support staff.

I have done some searching and could find no other instance of a video card and Toast 8 conflict.

You're not the only one who hasn't heard of something like this. :)

Can you try this:

1) Launch Toast while connected to your nVidia card

2) Open up Toast Preferences

3) Uncheck "Enable enhanced window animations"

4) Close prefs and quit Toast

Now restart Toast with your display connected to the Sonata card.

Archived