Roxio 8.2 XE..bundled with Mad Dog drive

niteowl

Question

Hi, I bought a Mad Dog 18x triple Format internal DVD-Rw drive around January but haven't tried to install it until now. I was waiting until I got around to doing a clean install of windows and my old burner was still working ok. Now i've sold off my old burner and have my fresh install of Windows XP Pro with SP2.

I have an AMD 2500+ processor on an Asus motherboard and a MSI FX5700LE graphics card,256MB(nvidia). I have 512 MB of RAM. I've installed the latest DirectX 9.0c_jun07.

While trying to install Roxio Creator, it crashes with several errors...one is...Error 1406. Could not write value Standard to key\Software\Roxio\VideoUi\VideoOptions...Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact support personel.

I'm the only administrator on my computer and have no network. However, it gives me the option to ignore that error and go on but then it crashes with a BSD that i can't read in time before it reboots, an IRQ thing i guess.

When it restarts, i get an error message that says...RoxWatch Tray.exe - Bad image The application or DLL c:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\Dll Shared\homeutils8.DLL is not a valid Windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette.

So anyway, I went to Mad Dog's site and Downloaded a firmware update and installed that just fine. But i still have the same problems trying to load Roxio.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I bought this drive because it came with Roxio which i really liked on my old drive.....But this has really put a stain on their rep with me. Thanks in advance to any replies.

3 answers to this question

Thanks gi7omy for your answer, however, my main thing is that roxio never gets installed in the 1st place because while installing it, it crashes to a blue-screen. So I just restored to an earlier time. Looking through these posts id discouraging. I stopped reading around page 17. I'm not sure if it was Mad Dog or Roxio that's responsible for ripping me off but it's Roxio's name on the product. My drive by itself seems fine. I bought this drive specifically because it had Roxio software included, rejecting an identical drive that had Nero. I had Roxio 6 earlier and really liked it & used it a lot. I'm really dissapointed that Roxio allows this kind of buggy crap to go out marring their reputation. Or at least has a big post on this site pointing to a patch that takes care of the problem. I shouldn't have to rely on other users coming up with work-arounds. Although i really am appreciative of your efforts, gi7omy. :) I didn't see anything at all about this on Mad Dog's site, I just got their firmware update.

I'll check back later to see if there are any more answers but I think i'm gonna try some freeware burning products out there.

Thanks gi7omy for your answer, however, my main thing is that roxio never gets installed in the 1st place because while installing it, it crashes to a blue-screen. So I just restored to an earlier time. Looking through these posts id discouraging. I stopped reading around page 17. I'm not sure if it was Mad Dog or Roxio that's responsible for ripping me off but it's Roxio's name on the product. My drive by itself seems fine. I bought this drive specifically because it had Roxio software included, rejecting an identical drive that had Nero. I had Roxio 6 earlier and really liked it & used it a lot. I'm really dissapointed that Roxio allows this kind of buggy crap to go out marring their reputation. Or at least has a big post on this site pointing to a patch that takes care of the problem. I shouldn't have to rely on other users coming up with work-arounds. Although i really am appreciative of your efforts, gi7omy. :) I didn't see anything at all about this on Mad Dog's site, I just got their firmware update.

I'll check back later to see if there are any more answers but I think i'm gonna try some freeware burning products out there.

The problem is with your OS not Roxio.

Try creating another User Account, with full privileges and run the install under that account.

V8 has been out of production for about a year… I could also be a conflict with IE7, may want to roll that back to IE6.

The XE version is one that was modified by Maddog but I'll give this a shot

Go to start, run and type in msconfig

In the startup tab, find RoxWatch#.exe (can't recall whether v8 has a number on it or not) and clear the check box.

Shut down and reboot

At the nag screen, tell it that you know you deleted a startup item and not to ask again

That disables Roxwatch from loading up at the start

Let us know how you get on

<edited to translate from Typonese>

Archived