Copying DVD

CynthiaD

Question

Sorry if this isn't the correct thread, but hopefully someone will have a suggestion.

I'm actually using Roxio Creator Plus-Dell Edition that came with my computer. I want to copy a video DVD that I burned from a camcorder using a DVD recorder. When I pull up the disc info in Creator it says the DVD-R is a closed, Multi-border, DVD-video. (if that info helps to diagnose the problem)

When I run Disc Copy I'm duplicating the DVD to another DVD-R, but when it gets part way through the process I get an error message--something to the effect that there was a problem and if I want to try again I need insert another blank disc.

Of course the DVD I'm burning to is useless, though I find that if pull up the disc info on it, it says the DVD-R is an open, Multi-border, DATA DVD.

What am I doing wrong? The program help files say that you can copy Video-DVDs.

2 answers to this question

"burned from a camcorder using a DVD recorder"

DVD recorders write to disc using somewhat non-standard formats that vary by brand of recorder & type of disc written to. [Tip: often you'll get better results copying to hdd if you use +RW].

What you want to do is extract the video, and then re-write the DVD using MyDVD. To extract the video use the EMC9 Copy program, then import the new file on your hard drive into MyDVD, add menus or whatever and write the DVD layout to hdd & test, or straight to DVD.

Background: Generally a DVDR will allow you to do some editing, and to accomplish this it has a separate section on the DVD to record new directions for a DVD player... You don't edit out commercials for example, but tell the player to skip over them. Because of the way the DVD's written to accomplish it, not all players will handle it, and a lot of software isn't expecting it & will report errors. You might be able to copy the disc the same way you can duplicate a CD, but I don't think it's too common and there's probably not a lot written about it -- once you've gotten the video on your hard drive you can do such a better job editing, adding chapters etc. that I imagine there's not much reason for too many people to play with this and develop methods &/or software.

Try splitting it into stages - make a .iso image first on the hard drive and then open that to burn the copy.

It's possible that you may have to go further and 'rip' the DVD first to make a mpg2 file and then render that (again to the hard drive as an image) and burn that to the blank disc

Archived