• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 16 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

EMC 9.0 or EMC 9.1 and compatibility with Vista 64 bit

scott784

Question

I am running Vista Home Premium 32 bit edition. I am playing around with the idea of trying Win Vista 64 bit edition since I've got a legal copy of it and I also have 4 gigs of ram. However, I am trying to get some idea on the impact this would have on my current software.

So here is the question. Is there anyone on this forum running Vista 64 bit edition? If so, can you tell me if there are any compatibility issues with EMC 9.0 or 9.1? My gut is telling me that there "would" be some issues but I really don't know and there has been very little discussion about this topic. Any replies would be appreciated, including a response from John or Tom.

Regards,

Scott

8 answers to this question

I am running Vista Home Premium 32 bit edition. I am playing around with the idea of trying Win Vista 64 bit edition since I've got a legal copy of it and I also have 4 gigs of ram. However, I am trying to get some idea on the impact this would have on my current software.

So here is the question. Is there anyone on this forum running Vista 64 bit edition? If so, can you tell me if there are any compatibility issues with EMC 9.0 or 9.1? My gut is telling me that there "would" be some issues but I really don't know and there has been very little discussion about this topic. Any replies would be appreciated, including a response from John or Tom.

Regards,

Scott

I am running Vista Ultimate 64bit and have been unable to get either Nero or Roxio to install successfully.

Nero does a partial install of not very useful elements and Roxio fails in 64 bit mode which causes Vista to try again in 32 bit compatibility mode then it bombs out there to. Vista support is claimed after May 07 but I am sure my copy is earlier than that. No mention is made of 64bit Vista support specifically.

Nero support cant even return emails. Roxio support returns emails but does not seem to have anyone with Vista Ultimate 64 bit experience.

Its nice that the other responder was able to get his installed but the process he documents to do so is insanely complex. I do not buy commercial software to re-engineer the operating system so I can install it!

Now I am looking for Public domain single purpose utilities till someone at Roxio or Nero can answer intelligently about Vista 64 bit.

You would think it would not be so hard!

I am running Vista 64 on a Thinkpad with Core 2 Duo.

I had Roxio 9.0 installed and it actually worked but I had a lot of crashes and some of them were identified as Roxio driver related. This was before the MS released updates were installed.

I wound up reformatting and reinstalling Vista 64 (it got to the point it would not even boot but I don't know how much of that was Roxio). Since then MS updates installed now number 64 or so and it seams to be much more stable.

I have not reinstalled Roxio but would like to as the build in stuff from MS does not successfully burn DVDs. I don't know if this is a hardware or software problem. I am holding off on reinstalling Roxio for the reported 9.1 version but their posts now say that it has been further delayed as Beta testing turned up problems.

Right now, I have created a Virtual PC and installed XP on there. I will try Roxio on that and see how it handles the drive.

Regards,

Scott

I am running Vista Home Premium 64 bit. Be sure your CPU is 64 bit capable as Smonteijr said.

I installed EMC9.0 3 times without success but have not tried his procedure.

What I can say for sure is that you cannot uninstall EMC 9 on a Vista 64 bit machine using Roxio Article 000127CR.(revised April 11, 2007) See my post: http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=25682

Let's face it - the number of 64 bit programs around should be able to be counted if you use both hands (probably the fingers of one hand would do, but I'm being generous)

Look in your Program Files folder and see just HOW many apps are installed there - then check the Program Files x86 and look what's in there. The former will be 64 bit programs - the latter 32 bit programs that can run in a 64 bit environment - that doesn't make them 64 bit.

To me, any 64 bit OS is a quirk - sure, the OS is capable of getting the 64 bit performance, but it needs 64 bit programs and as far as I can see, there ain't any true 64 bit apps around (the only one I can think of right now is the Symantec Corporate A/V)

I am running Vista 64 Ultimate and the install was fine. The only problem I have found so far is that the audio capture does not allow you to set the auto record levels or manually. I hope this is fixed in the 9.1 release. As for 32 bit programs running with it so far I had had only two that didnt work at first but they were fixed by updates. I also am running 32 bit drivers for my scanner (Epson) and it works great. There is also the feature in Vista that lets you run most 32 bit programs as an emulation mode the same as XP. I also tried the 32 bit Vista but like XP it would not reconize memory over 3g I have 5g. With the 64 bit version all is well. The reason I am using it is I have two Intel Xeon cpu's both are 2.8's. Before you convert make sure that your hardware has Vista64 drivers available first. I have an ATI All in Wonder X1800XL they have the drivers for it but did not release the mmc applications for it so I lost the Tv and capture function. Thumbs down for AMD they are dropping the ball on this one. I closing I am going to say that most people who have issues is because their system is corrupt before they install programs. I say this because I repair a lot computers and you cant imagine how bad most of them are. You need a clean system for it to function correctly. Good Luck

All 64 bit systems have the same problem with drivers. I'm running XP64 Pro here for testing purposes and I just can't get the RAID controller to work. Latest nVidia drivers have been tried, but the OS stubbornly refuses to install them. The strange thing is that while it can see the RAID array any attempt to access it produces a BSOD (and EMC works fine - go figger ;) )

Archived