• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 20 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Compact Disc turns 25

Brendon

IT was August 17, 1982, when row upon row of palm-sized plates with a rainbow sheen began rolling off an assembly line near Hannover in Germany.

An engineering marvel at the time, today they are instantly recognisable as Compact Discs, a product that turns 25 years old on Friday - and whose future is increasingly in doubt in an age of iPods and digital downloads.

Article here.

IT was August 17, 1982, when row upon row of palm-sized plates with a rainbow sheen began rolling off an assembly line near Hannover in Germany.

An engineering marvel at the time, today they are instantly recognisable as Compact Discs, a product that turns 25 years old on Friday - and whose future is increasingly in doubt in an age of iPods and digital downloads.

Article here.

Not so sure Brendon. I think maybe they will be around for quite some time yet. <_< I'm styill waiting til they come out with one that can hoild way more than 8.5GB (double layer kind).

Frank...

Not so sure Brendon. I think maybe they will be around for quite some time yet. <_< I'm styill waiting til they come out with one that can hoild way more than 8.5GB (double layer kind).

Frank...

Wouldn't that be the Blue-Ray and HD ones that are like 25gb and 50gb? :P

I was in my local suppliers a day or two ago and a guy was in looking for 'double layer double sided' DVDs - he left in a huff when told he could get one or the other (they do keep double sided in stock) but that nobody has come across one that will hold 16 GB of data on the one disc :lol:

Actually, I did. :P

Edit: But I'm rooting for Blu-ray Disc.

Lynn

Rooting for one format, with SONY being the main backer of Blu-ray and the user of the 'RootKit' on CD's. :angry:

Might be a good thing for SONY but not for us user's! :lol:

cd ;)

I didn't know you had one of those players, Lynn. That's good to hear.

Which one do you have, and what are your impressions of it? - I'm saving up for one, and need to know the pros and cons if possible.

Brendon

Archived