how find firmware update?

yellowdog_9

Question

am receiving an "unspecified error" at different points during any DVD burn...I've used the same brand DVD successfully, but for no apparent reason, now it hangs - in disc copier, data, etc..looking through the solutions I see "update your firmware" over and over...have tried the Windows search in Device Manager, which said "can't find anything better", but am hesitant to insert the installation CD, as it has other things bundled that I had a difficult time removing (CyberLink for one)

haven't been able to locate any updates online...anyone know where I should be looking?

the bottom of the burner says:

MagicSpin

IDVD16DDBE

P: 6075822034

U: 78806900899

F: A089

PO: 95

and that other number, which seems to be of some use, though I don't know quite what it is:

USBSTOR\CDROM&VEN_DVDRW&PROD_USB_16X&REV_A089\00091101600000002958&0

21 answers to this question

Out of ideas here. Maybe someone else will have a fresh perceptive? Any other burning software without having to install Nero again?

Do you have any DVD RWs for testing?

first of all - thanks for taking an interest - I do appreciate the help!

no, I have only Rs left, but I was going to purchase some RWs, in the hopes that they'd be re-useable once I got this sorted out (am throwing away the Rs like they were free)...what would that tell me?...the Rs I purchased are Memorex - is there another brand that y'all would recc?...if I try and fail, is there info I should look for that would help you experts solve the problem?

I was wondering, also, if there's a chance that there was 'lingering Nero' in there somewhere...I had to manually edit the registry, but as you can tell, I'm very very new to this, and took out what I thought was associated - old Sonic, Nero and InCD...might I have missed something, and what would it be calling itself?

ok - well - I'm pretty clueless on that one...how do I tell?...I opened system>device mgr>usb controllers and the first item says :

Intel®82801db/DBM USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller - 24CD ,

but the rest don't show a number, or say enhanced

and I just got yet another "medium error" - at about 60% complete...*head desk*

first of all - thanks for taking an interest - I do appreciate the help!

no, I have only Rs left, but I was going to purchase some RWs, in the hopes that they'd be re-useable once I got this sorted out (am throwing away the Rs like they were free)...what would that tell me?...the Rs I purchased are Memorex - is there another brand that y'all would recc?...if I try and fail, is there info I should look for that would help you experts solve the problem?

I was wondering, also, if there's a chance that there was 'lingering Nero' in there somewhere...I had to manually edit the registry, but as you can tell, I'm very very new to this, and took out what I thought was associated - old Sonic, Nero and InCD...might I have missed something, and what would it be calling itself?

Try some Verbatim discs.

System Cleaner

Please choose from the following topics:

General CleanTool

Registry Checker and Driver CleanTool

InCD CleanTool

Nero 5 CleanTool

Nero 6 CleanTool

Nero 7 Clean Tool

NeroVision Express CleanTool

http://www.nero.com/nero7/enu/Clean_Tools.html

I agree with GPB the memorex are Ritek and they haven't made a good disc since the G04 days! Try some Verbatim discs.

cd

Click on the Roxio icon on your desktop, then click on Applications, and look for DVDInfopro, on the right side of the screen. Click on that, and in the dropdown box down below, make sure your burner is selected.

On the right side of the page, you will see your Firmware Revision number or letters. Write that down, go to the manufacturer's website, and see if there is an updated firmware for it.

thanks...found the number, but there doesn't seem to be anything on the site ( http://www.iomagic.com/ )

that looks like an update ...drat...just tried another dvd and it hung again,too

yellowdog_9,

I have both Nero 7 and Roxio EMC 9 installed on my pc. Nero's InCD Sonic's DLA, and Roxio's EMC 9 Drag 2 Disc or D2D, no more than one can be installed at one time! Do a clean uninstall and reinstall of the program you want, I would leave the three above on the disc and not on my pc.

cd

am receiving an "unspecified error" at different points during any DVD burn...I've used the same brand DVD successfully, but for no apparent reason, now it hangs - in disc copier, data, etc..looking through the solutions I see "update your firmware" over and over...have tried the Windows search in Device Manager, which said "can't find anything better", but am hesitant to insert the installation CD, as it has other things bundled that I had a difficult time removing (CyberLink for one)

haven't been able to locate any updates online...anyone know where I should be looking?

the bottom of the burner says:

MagicSpin

IDVD16DDBE

P: 6075822034

U: 78806900899

F: A089

PO: 95

and that other number, which seems to be of some use, though I don't know quite what it is:

USBSTOR\CDROM&VEN_DVDRW&PROD_USB_16X&REV_A089\00091101600000002958&0

Click on the Roxio icon on your desktop, then click on Applications, and look for DVDInfopro, on the right side of the screen. Click on that, and in the dropdown box down below, make sure your burner is selected.

On the right side of the page, you will see your Firmware Revision number or letters. Write that down, go to the manufacturer's website, and see if there is an updated firmware for it.

Ah.. DLA. Go to Add/Remove Apps in the Control Panel and remove it. DLA is a packet writing app. There would DEFINITELY be a conflict between that and Drag to Disc.

first - thanks again for all the time you've each put into trying to help me solve this...

got happy feet for a minute there , thinking the DLA thing might be the solution, but I don't see it Add/Remove!....it would be listed as DLA or Sonic, no?

today I managed to get a hold of the live chat help for my burner, to see if there was a firmware upgrade...*they* recomended uninstalling the Roxio and reinstalling Nero, but Nero comes packaged with their product, so I wonder how motivated they are to help fix the Roxio...

they did agree with you that the Memorex discs are problematic, btw

System Cleaner

General CleanTool

InCD CleanTool

Nero 5 CleanTool

Nero 6 CleanTool

Nero 7 Clean Tool

I agree with GPB the memorex are Ritek and they haven't made a good disc since the G04 days! Try some Verbatim discs.

cd

thanks for the links - I'll run those again...and pray

off to buy my new discs......

Since teh controller is USB 2, I would say that all the ports would be. How old is the drive? I have seen drives go bad, but no very often.

about a year old...and it worked fine , just recently, when I had the Nero freeware...honestly - I'm about ready to uninstall the EMC9, which I rec'd as a gift, and should have been a vast improvement over the Nero ... but I really struggled with removing the Nero - y'all provided the much needed assistance and inside info on cleaning the old program and old Sonic out of the system...and I have burned successfully with the Roxio, on the exact same DVDs - this "medium error" has only just started occuring...I'm so frazzled over it - have a harddrive full of stuff that needs to come out, and no way to burn it

I have tried:

updating the px engine (px?pc?...it was in another post as a possible solution)

looking for a firmware upgrade, but don't see one on the site

checking the port as you suggested

*sobs* any ideas as to what's next?

System Cleaner

General CleanTool

InCD CleanTool

Nero 5 CleanTool

Nero 6 CleanTool

Nero 7 Clean Tool

cd

*head desk repeat*

omg - a new error message

trying to creat Data Disc (just once more, before I go buy the Verbatim discs)

attempting to add data( a folder )...will allowuse of a CD, but when I switch to the DVD, it says "in use by Direct Letter Access" and then "can not add data"

*dies*

DLA might be listed as Sonic and might be spelled out (Direct Letter Access) instead of using DLA. When you removed Nero, DLA should have been removed, but sounds like something is lurking in the registry.

thanks - yes - the lurker...that's what I've suspected , too...unfortunately, now other parts of the program are crashing - if you switch back and forth between features too many times, the entire program freezes..I'm wondering if the answer really isn't just putting the Nero back ...

thanks again for following through on all my questions

Archived