• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 25 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Split Files and Roxio Retrieve

BJBBJB

Question

I am aware that Easy Creator can take your selected data project and backup files over multiple DVD's.

Well I know I have done it, still need to find the option in 9. My question involves split files.

I see that "Roxio retrieve" is still a component and is briefly mentioned in the manual in order to copy split files back onto a hard drive. I don't like this because I would like the ability to use windows explorer anytime, anywhere, on any PC with these backup I am making.

Is there any setting that will tell Creator Classic to span across DVD's but DON'T split files? Just go to the next DVD?

If I have to rely on software to restore files I might as well make an image (which I also do). However there is certain data I just want in raw data file format on optical media. Anyway to do this with Roxio My current hunt and peck selection method done manually is getting old.

Thanks,

BJBBJB

8 answers to this question

What version of the software do you have?Open the Home app,click Help,About and see what the version says.Could be your version of Creator Classic doesn't have it.Here's a look at mine.

Help>about Creator Classic = Creator Classic, Roxio Easy Media Creator 9

From home page help>about Roxio Creator 9 home version 9.0.546.

Roxio core version 3.4.0

This is a full retail boxed version not OEM. Roxio Easy Media Creator 9 Suite. The only other version I saw at the time of purchase included the capture box which I did not need. I can't believe that changes the functionality of this module? That was the Deluxe version which I do NOT have. I just checked the Roxio website comparison in the Burning and Data section and they both show the same features.. Is it a patch perhaps??

I DID do a custom install and did not install every single module.

I REALLY wanted to post my printscreen but I guess since I am not a registered member long enough I do not see an option to attach files unless I missed something there too. Getting a complex here!

I understand that the split file box is supposed to be in settings. But I have THREE boxes in the Project Settings General box at the bottom:

X Validate Source Files before recording

X Automatically verify File System after recording

X Enable Compression

That is it. I see the images that have been posted. However I can assure you that box is not on my screen. Is there some related setting that needs to be flipped to make that option appear???? I have tried it with a blank DVD in, without, etc. No difference.

Are you all running Deluxe? I can't believe that would be the difference?

BJBBJB

There is only One retail version… If your Project Settings in Classic don't look like the screen captures posted, you aren't running Classic or have an OEM knockoff version.

The ONLY way to keep Classic from spanning discs is to setup the projects manually! Even with it checked not to, it will then fail when you insert the next disc. This is a known problem if you are dealing with large files and there is no fix in sight for it.

The ONLY way to keep Classic from spanning discs is to setup the projects manually! Even with it checked not to, it will then fail when you insert the next disc. This is a known problem if you are dealing with large files and there is no fix in sight for it.

Thanks so much James for sticking with me on this. I did read about this issue with very large files...I am talking smaller files, but a lot of them. Does Roxio have an issue with this also on multi-disc??? I do not have any one file that is too big to fit on one DVD. I just want to make sure if I am near the limits of one disk, it does not span a 400K file just to maximize space useage. I want it to go on a new disc. If Roxio cannot even do this (once I get that checkbox)....well that is disappointing.

As far as my version, I will be on the phone with Roxio Monday. I can't imagine how much fun that conversation might be. I purchased it from a large, nationally known company. The P/N on the Program CD sleeve is 150193-01EU. EMC9.05 Suite/EU. It certainly does not look like an OEM disc to me. All Roxio, full color, etc. It also has the anti-theft RF tag on the sleeve with the CD key, etc Full color retail box.

I registered the serial number with Roxio with success. So....

Part of me still wonders if there is some seemingly unlrelated module out of the 100's (okay not that many) that it tries to install that I didn't that has a relationship somehow. I also have turned of the Hard Disk monitoring service. That shouldn't matter.

To be clear, the classic screen I am seeing looks EXACTLY like the attachments, it just does not have that split-file option. I have been using classic for many years, real familiar with the general interface.

I DID have an old version of Roxio EZ CD installed but I uninstalled it before installing this suite.

What do I have to do to be able to post an attachment?

BJBBJB

To be clear, the classic screen I am seeing looks EXACTLY like the attachments, it just does not have that split-file option. I have been using classic for many years, real familiar with the general interface.

I DID have an old version of Roxio EZ CD installed but I uninstalled it before installing this suite.

What do I have to do to be able to post an attachment?

BJBBJB

The easiest way is if you have some web-space, often provided by your ISP, you can upload a picture there, then click the icon on the edit screen when posting here that looks like a small tree, and put in the URL for the image file.

Alternatively, and really just as easy, there are free image hosting sites, such as ImageShack that will let you upload your pictures, and again, use the URL for your image to add the picture here. I've not used ImageShack and can't offer any information other than I've heard the name, and it showed up on my google search.

Hope that helps!

Have you tried going to File,Project Settings and checking the box that says "do not split files in multi-disc projects"?

Well that certainly would have been easy. :)

Using Roxio Creator Classic, and opening project options, I do not have that checkbox. I have "Validate source files....", "Automatically verify file system...", and "enable compression". Nothing about "do not split files". Am I missing something? Could it be I am using large fonts and can't see it? And this is while I am in a data project in RCC.

Starting a DVD data project from the home menu (NOT in Creator classic), there is no project options menu item under File. After pecking around I saw an option in tools>options>Data>advanced that has the "enable disc spanning for data discs". Which is not checked by default. However nothing about split files anywhere even after I checked it. What gives?

I chose 2 2.5Gig files that each would fit on one disc but would force spanning with both methods above. Neither one presented that option.

What File Type and Bridge should I be using for safe, normal backups?

I am aware that BackupMyPC makes backup files that cannot be read natively, you must use the program to restore. Is Roxio backup also like that? I also see easy archive? Does that copy native files?

Sorry for all the questions I consider myself pretty knowledgeable about PC's and software but this has me stumped...

Thanks for the help,

BJBBJB

Archived