• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 11 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

MyDVD in EMC 9 'hangs up'

Laulen

Question

Here is my difficulty:-

I am using EMC 9 and MyDVD to create some training DVDs from some DVD hard drive movies stored on a Sony digital camcorder.

I can save custom Menu Styles but, whenever I try to 'Change Menu Style' from the Roxio default one I find that MyDVD 'hangs'. What should, could I do to rectify this irritating fault?

I have some seven DVDs to produce of our training day activities and have to achieve this within a week.

Can you help?

Thank you in anticipation.

Below is my computer configuration.

Laulen

Operating System System Model

Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (build 2600) Enclosure Type: Desktop

Processor a Main Circuit Board b

2.00 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core

256 kilobyte primary memory cache

512 kilobyte secondary memory cache Board: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. M61VME-S2

Bus Clock: 200 megahertz

BIOS: Award Software International, Inc. F4 09/18/2006

Drives Memory Modules c,d

81.95 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity

17.40 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4163B [CD-ROM drive]

ROXIO DVD-ROM EMULATOR SCSI CdRom Device [CD-ROM drive]

Maxtor 6V080E0 [Hard drive] (81.96 GB) -- drive 0, s/n V232AG4G, rev VA111900, SMART Status: Healthy 768 Megabytes Installed Memory

12 answers to this question

Why can't Roxio just fix this stuff rather than making customers rely on the discussion groups swamp of

information overload?

Fix what? A video adapter that doesn't (or might not in this case) meet the minimum requirements for the software, or has an outdated driver? There is nothing for them to fix in this case.

I suggest, since this is your first post, that if you are having some kind of issue, start a New Topic with your question/problem and included some details.

I don;t see your video adapter listed, which is an important piece. Check for driver updates for it (from the manufacturer not MS updates) and make sure you have the latest DirectX9 updates from MS also.

Also, if you haven't already, try opening MyDVD by going to Start -> Programs -> Roxio->.... rather than thru the Home page.

Hi Larry,

I followed your excellent advice and have found that I have the following video adapter:

chip Type: NVIDIA GeForce 6100 nForce 400, DAC Type: Integrated RAMDAC, Memory Size: 512 MB, Adapter String: GeForce 6100 nForce 400, Bios Information: Version 5.61.32.19.04

The drivers were last updated on 29/06/07 to Version: 6.14.11.6218. I believe that this is the most up to date driver.

Is there anything else that I might be able to do to make the change menu style work, I wonder?

Kind regards

Laurence

Operating System System Model

Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (build 2600) Enclosure Type: Desktop

Processor a Main Circuit Board b

2.00 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core

256 kilobyte primary memory cache

512 kilobyte secondary memory cache Board: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. M61VME-S2

Bus Clock: 200 megahertz

BIOS: Award Software International, Inc. F4 09/18/2006

Drives Memory Modules c,d

81.95 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity

17.40 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4163B [CD-ROM drive]

ROXIO DVD-ROM EMULATOR SCSI CdRom Device [CD-ROM drive]

Maxtor 6V080E0 [Hard drive] (81.96 GB) -- drive 0, s/n V232AG4G, rev VA111900, SMART Status: Healthy 768 Megabytes Installed Memory

Why can't Roxio just fix this stuff rather than making customers rely on the discussion groups swamp of

information overload?

Good grief. The first step in using your computer is understanding it. I suggest that you do a little reading about computers and the hardware within.

Once you do that, you will find out that there are different drivers, software, and firmware updates for the different components in your computer, and that video editing software isn't going to do any of the updates for you. YOU have to do it.

Looking at your system specs, I notice that you only have 17GB free on your hard drive. That is not very much when doing video work. Also have you defragged your hard drive lately? If that free space is fragmented badly you will have "bottlenecks" in your processes.

Yes, I have defragged the computer and improved speed by 8%. I recommend a very small free utility called Auslogics Disc Defrag, available from www.download.com.

17GB free is a small amount, but it is the best that I have, short of using an external USB hard drive of 250GB.

Thanks for your continuing advice and help. Very much welcomed!

Laulen

Hi gi7omy

Yes, I have done all of this and it does seem to improve things slightly. This time I can see a new window open stating that Roxio MyDVD is 'Changing menu style...' with the yellow progress band moving quite swiftly across this open window.

Unfortunately this seems to to these for a very long time (around ten minutes) with the processor going at 95-100% almost continuously. It does not seem to resolve this 'change' as it has yet to stop, unless I >Ctrl+ >Alt + >Delete to bring up the Task Manager to 'End Program'.

I is rather disappointing to say the least. Thanks for your suggestion though. It is still 'playing with itself' as I type now!

I don't know if you have 'mediawatch' running - that puts a big strain on the CPU while it catalogues what you have on the drive

Go to start, run and type in msconfig

Clear the tick box for Roxwatchtray9, close and reboot. You'll get a nag screen and tell that that, "yes, I know I've disabled a startup item now go away and don't pester me"

See if that helps

Thank you Larry for your reply. I have updated to the latest version of DirectX9 from MS (I could find it only listed as Microsoft DirectX Drivers Redistributable December 2006 in MS. I have also tried opening MyDVD by going to START -> Programs -> Roxio ->. Both these actions have failed to cure the problem.

As for the video adapter, which I understand can be variously described as a video adapter, video card, video board, video display board, graphics card or graphics adapter, I do not know how to find out what type I have. I believe it is probably a Motherboard Video-only Chipset, but I would be interested in finding out what type it is, if I have one.

My listed details came from BelarcAdvisor but I could not see anything listed there. Perhaps this is my problem. What do you suggest if I need a video adapter?

As you can see, I am something of a newbie at this activity!

I have a laborious 'work around' - recreate a customised menu style and menu chapters for each and every DVD I produce.

Laulen

PS: In this information I think my video adapter is listed as NVIDIA, not sure...

Controllers Display

NVIDIA MCP61 Serial ATA Controller

Primary IDE Channel [Controller]

Secondary IDE Channel [Controller]

Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller NVIDIA GeForce 6100 nForce 400 [Display adapter]

ACR AL1916 [Monitor] (19.1"vis, January 2006)

Bus Adapters Multimedia

Roxio SoftScsi Host Adapter (X86)

Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller

Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller Realtek High Definition Audio

Communications Other Devices

NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller

Dhcp Server: 192.168.0.1

Physical Address: 00:0F:EA:63:5E:67

USB ADSL WAN Adapter

SNAPSCAN TOUCH #4

USB PC Camera-168

Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard

PS/2 Compatible Mouse

NVIDIA Network Bus Enumerator

USB Root Hub (2x)

Hi gi7omy

Yes, I have done all of this and it does seem to improve things slightly. This time I can see a new window open stating that Roxio MyDVD is 'Changing menu style...' with the yellow progress band moving quite swiftly across this open window.

Unfortunately this seems to to these for a very long time (around ten minutes) with the processor going at 95-100% almost continuously. It does not seem to resolve this 'change' as it has yet to stop, unless I >Ctrl+ >Alt + >Delete to bring up the Task Manager to 'End Program'.

I is rather disappointing to say the least. Thanks for your suggestion though. It is still 'playing with itself' as I type now!

Looking at your system specs, I notice that you only have 17GB free on your hard drive. That is not very much when doing video work. Also have you defragged your hard drive lately? If that free space is fragmented badly you will have "bottlenecks" in your processes.

Thank you Larry for your reply. I have updated to the latest version of DirectX9 from MS (I could find it only listed as Microsoft DirectX Drivers Redistributable December 2006 in MS. I have also tried opening MyDVD by going to START -> Programs -> Roxio ->. Both these actions have failed to cure the problem.

As for the video adapter, which I understand can be variously described as a video adapter, video card, video board, video display board, graphics card or graphics adapter, I do not know how to find out what type I have. I believe it is probably a Motherboard Video-only Chipset, but I would be interested in finding out what type it is, if I have one.

My listed details came from BelarcAdvisor but I could not see anything listed there. Perhaps this is my problem. What do you suggest if I need a video adapter?

As you can see, I am something of a newbie at this activity!

I have a laborious 'work around' - recreate a customised menu style and menu chapters for each and every DVD I produce.

Laulen

PS: In this information I think my video adapter is listed as NVIDIA, not sure...

Controllers Display

NVIDIA MCP61 Serial ATA Controller

Primary IDE Channel [Controller]

Secondary IDE Channel [Controller]

Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller NVIDIA GeForce 6100 nForce 400 [Display adapter]

ACR AL1916 [Monitor] (19.1"vis, January 2006)

Bus Adapters Multimedia

Roxio SoftScsi Host Adapter (X86)

Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller

Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller Realtek High Definition Audio

Communications Other Devices

NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller

Dhcp Server: 192.168.0.1

Physical Address: 00:0F:EA:63:5E:67

USB ADSL WAN Adapter

SNAPSCAN TOUCH #4

USB PC Camera-168

Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard

PS/2 Compatible Mouse

NVIDIA Network Bus Enumerator

USB Root Hub (2x)

You're probably right about it being built into your motherboard.

Do this and see if it will provide what's needed.

Rightclick on an empty part of your desktop and you should get a menu, then select properties

You should now have a window open titled "Display Properties".

Go to the Settings tab and click on the Advanced button.

You should now have a new window open with a title that starts with "Plug and Play Monitor....."

Go to the Adapter tab and look in the Adapter Type section towards the top and list what it says.

Archived