black border needed on videos

Zombie

Question

9 answers to this question

A quick note of caution, zombie: In my opinion and FWIW, you normally don't want to resize the video to the *title* safe zone unless it's a title or something like that...

For a regular TV with a picture tube there is no standard on how much of the picture is displayed, and how much is cut off by the bezel of the case. The safe area that part of the frame just about guaranteed to show up on every TV out there, including rather ancient ones, but the border surrounding it will normally be quite visible. You might also see some artifacts, especially top and bottom, at the black border, and please remember that any resize will effect the overall quality of your video. You might also want to consider the same basic effect, adding a black border, but not going all the way to the title safe zone -- while it's not really common, there are a folks who prefer doing it.

I am having to play some subbed anime shows on a overhead projector screen. it seems to be both cutting some of screen image from the projection and again some from the viewable section of the screen so this time I'll work on the 15% trim as a starting point. This program was chosen as a replacement to simply recording the shows on DVrecorder by playing them thru the TV. That meant 90 minutes to transfer the show over as they played plus 10 minutes (generous rounding up) to finilaise the dvd

The amount of pissfarting I have to do to get it using the computer alone means 10 minutes to establish the video file layout, 1 hour rendering the file then another minimum time 45 minutes to burn the dvd. It seems to be taking 3-5 times longer to complete the task for a minor increase in quality. This is not taking into account the 2 days defraging my system, updating drivers and generally abusing the computer

EMC9 may be good but for my needs it so far has been failing abysmally. It has went from a promised drag a selected video file, drop into position, burn dvd to open video project, select video file, edit, save project, do the same 2 more times, open dvd project, select edited video files, burn dvd, and hope the #$^@ project will not spontaneously fail.

It has this last chance and if it again fails to perform to my much lowered expectations it will be erased from my system and I will be getting a refund

I am having to play some subbed anime shows on a overhead projector screen. it seems to be both cutting some of screen image from the projection and again some from the viewable section of the screen so this time I'll work on the 15% trim as a starting point. This program was chosen as a replacement to simply recording the shows on DVrecorder by playing them thru the TV. That meant 90 minutes to transfer the show over as they played plus 10 minutes (generous rounding up) to finilaise the dvd

The amount of pissfarting I have to do to get it using the computer alone means 10 minutes to establish the video file layout, 1 hour rendering the file then another minimum time 45 minutes to burn the dvd. It seems to be taking 3-5 times longer to complete the task for a minor increase in quality. This is not taking into account the 2 days defraging my system, updating drivers and generally abusing the computer

EMC9 may be good but for my needs it so far has been failing abysmally. It has went from a promised drag a selected video file, drop into position, burn dvd to open video project, select video file, edit, save project, do the same 2 more times, open dvd project, select edited video files, burn dvd, and hope the #$^@ project will not spontaneously fail.

It has this last chance and if it again fails to perform to my much lowered expectations it will be erased from my system and I will be getting a refund

Um, can't blame Roxio that you has to take 2 days to clean up your computer.

If it is taking 45 minutes to burn a DVD, then you may have a problem with your burner firmware. Burning should take much less then that especially with a file that rendered in one hour.

Also, since you are using a projector and feeding it from a computer, you should see what you see on your computer screen. Have you looked at the projector set up and/or looked at a different projector?

Since we are users and not Roxio employees, we really don't care if you find a different program that fits your needs. Good luck (seriously.)

Um, can't blame Roxio that you has to take 2 days to clean up your computer.

If it is taking 45 minutes to burn a DVD, then you may have a problem with your burner firmware. Burning should take much less then that especially with a file that rendered in one hour.

Also, since you are using a projector and feeding it from a computer, you should see what you see on your computer screen. Have you looked at the projector set up and/or looked at a different projector?

Since we are users and not Roxio employees, we really don't care if you find a different program that fits your needs. Good luck (seriously.)

And it is from the users that I have gotten the most assistance from.

It only takes 45 minutes with Roxio, the same size files (4.4Gb) take less than 20 minutes on Nero.

I am making video DVD's to play in the projector since noone has a laptop to simply connect to the projector (life would be much easier with one this hassle would not be need). A different choice of projector is not an option as the uni has only a limited number, and all are of the same type and vintage (pre 2000 make and must have fallen off the back of a truck)

And the cleanup fragmentation started at 25% and after 4 successive defrags I got it down to 24% it was only then that EMC9 would let me start to burn a project. Why I do not question just content that it decided to start working for me.

I am just getting irritated that what should by all accounts be a simple fire and forget (3x 24min avi's to be placed on a DVD to be played on a DVD video player. No extras, no special effects, default as much as possible) has turned into a screaming fubar

And it is from the users that I have gotten the most assistance from.

It only takes 45 minutes with Roxio, the same size files (4.4Gb) take less than 20 minutes on Nero.

I am making video DVD's to play in the projector since noone has a laptop to simply connect to the projector (life would be much easier with one this hassle would not be need). A different choice of projector is not an option as the uni has only a limited number, and all are of the same type and vintage (pre 2000 make and must have fallen off the back of a truck)

And the cleanup fragmentation started at 25% and after 4 successive defrags I got it down to 24% it was only then that EMC9 would let me start to burn a project. Why I do not question just content that it decided to start working for me.

I am just getting irritated that what should by all accounts be a simple fire and forget (3x 24min avi's to be placed on a DVD to be played on a DVD video player. No extras, no special effects, default as much as possible) has turned into a screaming fubar

File Size is totally irrelevant! Length of play is the only significant value. – 3 @ 24 minutes = 1:12. A DVD holds 1 hour so a lot has to take place to fit your overload onto the disc! It also depends on your CPU.

Nero is faster? Great, it also has far, far less of the video editing capability. But is speed is the only thing of importance to you, go for it!

You have a very specialized need based on the obsolete equipment you have to deal with. – Pity, but hardly Roxio's fault!

4 defrags and you can only get it down to 24%??? I just did One this morning and my 300gb drive with only 39% free space is down to 6% total. You have one heck of a mess on your hands! – Again not Roxio's fault.

This is not taking into account the 2 days defraging my system, updating drivers and generally abusing the computer
Interesting attitude toward what should be normal computer maintenance.

(3x 24min avi's to be placed on a DVD to be played on a DVD video player. No extras, no special effects, default as much as possible)
Most likely those files are also DivX or Xvid which require decompression and recompressed to MPEG 2 regardless of software used.

There is also a KNOWN conflict if you have updated DivX after installing EMC 9 because EMC 9 actually installs an earlier version. There is a pinned post how to fix that.

If you are doing a lot of video work, you'll quickly find that regular defragging is a MUST especially if you only have one hard drive and getting low on space.

I was hoping that EMC would be able to edit a video to reduce the video played to fit within the tv safe zone. is their any way to do that?

In VideoWave, insert a color panel, make the duration of that panel the same length as your movie, insert the movie on one of the overlay tracks, and resize the video on the overlay.

A quick note of caution, zombie: In my opinion and FWIW, you normally don't want to resize the video to the *title* safe zone unless it's a title or something like that...

For a regular TV with a picture tube there is no standard on how much of the picture is displayed, and how much is cut off by the bezel of the case. The safe area that part of the frame just about guaranteed to show up on every TV out there, including rather ancient ones, but the border surrounding it will normally be quite visible. You might also see some artifacts, especially top and bottom, at the black border, and please remember that any resize will effect the overall quality of your video. You might also want to consider the same basic effect, adding a black border, but not going all the way to the title safe zone -- while it's not really common, there are a folks who prefer doing it.

Zombie, video projects are often not fun -- I sympathize. Often it's a matter of trying to do something the folks who wrote the software never envisioned.

"...overhead projector screen. it seems to be both cutting some of screen image from the projection and again some from the viewable section of the screen"

Reading this I wonder if there isn't an adjustment that could be made to the projector or TV out or something that would save you some work? I've got/had TV out from my video cards as well as external hardware like scan converters and there always was some adjustment just for the sort of problem you're experiencing.

Archived