• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 16 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Emc 7 Won't Update

kingstondeverill

Question

Please can anyone help?

I have navigated to the roxio.com website and from the home page I have clicked the link referring to the update for emc 7, then logged on using my login details. I then clicked 'patch my software' then clicked on the link for the retail version as opposed to the download version.

What happened next was that the page with 'patch my software' came up again and when I clicked on it again another page came up with a list of roxio applications with versions of emc 8, 7.5 and 7 at the top. Clicking on emc version 7 from this list either took me back to the page showing the links for the two different versions to download - retail or downloaded versions with the file names, or the 'patch my software' AGAIN!

How am I supposed to get the update?

Windows XP Home Edition sp2 - fully updated,

Word 2002 (as part of Works Suite 2005) +

Outlook 2002 (oem with smartphone) both fully updated with office XP sp3

Windows Defender (Beta 2)

Spyware Doctor 3.2 ('free' trial version)

Adaware SE 1.06r1

Spywareblaster 3.5.1

AOL Anti Spyware 2.0

Free Internet Eraser 2.05

Norton Internet Security 2005

Norton System Works 2005

I have run 'program scan' for Norton Personal Firewall within Norton Internet Security to configure all applications that need internet access according to aol instructions

Nothing in my pc's or any applications settings have been changed significantly since the last time I updated emc 7. I have to get the update again because of a 'system recovery'. Alternatively does anybody know where I could get a disc with this update on, or how to isolate a copy of the update on a disc if I do ever get the update to download?

Bob

11 answers to this question

To Jeff,

Thanks for your reply, but the link you provided takes me to the same page that I got to after clicking on 'patch my current software'. I was then directed to another with a list of applications and versions of same that seem to all require updates. The page that the link you provided takes/took me to should then have a link, that when clicking on it starts the download as you described, but it does not start downloading. All that happens is that I get re-directed to the page described above. I have got the roxio site url http://www.roxio.com in the trusted sites list and am enabling all cookies., but something is still stopping the download working.

To Frank,

I will try the suggestion about msconfig as a sort of last resort, if I cannot figure out anything else which might work as I did not have to do this to make the update download last time, neither did I have to disable any of my norton software nor did I find the aol software to be blocking it. What ever I did to make it work last time I have no idea - my computer just seemed to decide one day after multiple attempts, to actually download the update with no intervention on my part as far as I know, in changing any settings. Now with all the settings I can think of the same, or as near to the same as I can remember it is just is not playing ball!

Oh well, maybe it WILL work one day, but I won't hold my breath waiting.

Thanks anyway,

Bob

Guest mlpasley

Have you tried the automatic updater in the Extras & Utilities?

There also might be something in AOL that is blocking the download. If you're still having problems, try opening Internet Explorer and then cutting and pasting the link into the browser.

I'm not sure if this is what you are trying to do but if you are just trying to download the update (EMC 7.1.1.189ENU) and you always get into a loop that takes you back to a few steps and starts you all over, then try this: (This was advice from a Roxio Tech that appears to work and was discussed on several posts on the old forum).

Go to START--RUN--enter MSCONFIG-- and change the option to SELECTIVE STARTUP--then remove the check marks from all of the top 4 boxes. Click on APPLY then O.K. and reboot. Go to the Roxio download site and re-try downloading the update. The update for EMC 7 is approximately 122 MB so it will take a little time to download it depending on the speed of your computer, your ISP hookup etc. Don't worry about having to stop your anti-virus programs etc. as this selective startup will do it for you.

Just remember to go back and re-set your startup to NORMAL the way it was before after you have downloaded the update and saved the exe file to your computer.

Frank.........

Have you tried what ml suggested and use the built in updater.If your software has updates available then it should find it,download it and install it.Give it a try b4 you give up.

Yes, I have tried the 'roxio updater' in extras and utilities - this has never worked since day one. It always says there are no new updates available, despite the fact that the website says that there is. I have success fully downloaded the '70to71_2.exe' update on at least two previous occaisions, but due to another system recovery, I need to download it again. I have also checked in services.msc and msconfig to see if there is anything in there that should not be or if anything is missing that should be in there but I am none the wiser as I don't know what most of the entries are refering to.

I have tried 'Roxann' but this never comes back with any found answers. I have tried 'sonic solutions' feature where I asked for help but there did not appear to be any button to click to 'post the message' anywhere so I have no idea if anyone has seen it. Trying some of the other buttons on the page tells me that I must allow cookies when I am allowing all cookies, including session cookies, I have also put www.roxio.com in the trusted sites list and in the list where you allow pop-ups. Nothing seems to be working, and I should not have to disable any part of Norton Internet Security to get this update, as I did not have to the last two times I was able to get it to download.

Any other ideas gratefully received,

Bob

Yes, I have tried the 'roxio updater' in extras and utilities - this has never worked since day one. It always says there are no new updates available, despite the fact that the website says that there is. I have success fully downloaded the '70to71_2.exe' update on at least two previous occaisions, but due to another system recovery, I need to download it again. I have also checked in services.msc and msconfig to see if there is anything in there that should not be or if anything is missing that should be in there but I am none the wiser as I don't know what most of the entries are refering to.

I have tried 'Roxann' but this never comes back with any found answers. I have tried 'sonic solutions' feature where I asked for help but there did not appear to be any button to click to 'post the message' anywhere so I have no idea if anyone has seen it. Trying some of the other buttons on the page tells me that I must allow cookies when I am allowing all cookies, including session cookies, I have also put www.roxio.com in the trusted sites list and in the list where you allow pop-ups. Nothing seems to be working, and I should not have to disable any part of Norton Internet Security to get this update, as I did not have to the last two times I was able to get it to download.

Any other ideas gratefully received,

Bob

I just went to the Software Updates an got the update you are trying to get, which proves the site is ok. You must have something in your system blocking your attempts.

The following is taken from this post ( http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=122 ) by fellow user Lynn98109.

Temporaily turn off pop-up blockers (it is a pop-up), advertising filters (it has the word "promotion" in it), firewalls (including the Microsoft one, if you have it and it has been activated by a Microsoft update without your knowledge or consent). If that doesn't work, temporarily turn off the Virus-scanner. If that doesn't work, some people have been successful by trying a different browser, such as Firefox or Opera. Both can be downloaded free; Firefox is around 4.5MB, and Opera is a little over 3MB. (Digital Guru d_deweywright reports that when using Opera, it is necessary to enable the Referrer Logging, and actually restart the browser.)

I just went to the Software Updates an got the update you are trying to get, which proves the site is ok. You must have something in your system blocking your attempts.

The following is taken from this post ( http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=122 ) by fellow user Lynn98109.

Temporaily turn off pop-up blockers (it is a pop-up), advertising filters (it has the word "promotion" in it), firewalls (including the Microsoft one, if you have it and it has been activated by a Microsoft update without your knowledge or consent). If that doesn't work, temporarily turn off the Virus-scanner. If that doesn't work, some people have been successful by trying a different browser, such as Firefox or Opera. Both can be downloaded free; Firefox is around 4.5MB, and Opera is a little over 3MB. (Digital Guru d_deweywright reports that when using Opera, it is necessary to enable the Referrer Logging, and actually restart the browser.)

Hello 'Ogdens'

Thanks for the info,

I have at last, finally managed to get the update to download last night. After going into add/remove programs, clicking on the entry for the emc 7 app', and then clicking on the 'change' button, I had three choices, one of which was 'repair'. While this 'repair' seemed to take a rather long time this was successfull enough to allow the download.

Thanks to you and everyone else who replied

Bob

Hello 'Ogdens'

Thanks for the info,

I have at last, finally managed to get the update to download last night. After going into add/remove programs, clicking on the entry for the emc 7 app', and then clicking on the 'change' button, I had three choices, one of which was 'repair'. While this 'repair' seemed to take a rather long time this was successfull enough to allow the download.

Thanks to you and everyone else who replied

Bob

Thanks for the feedback.

Ogdens

Archived