• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 14 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Disc Image Loader - time-out failure

TucsonBill

Question

I have a problem with Disc Image Loader that tech support has not yet solved.

After firing up Disc Image Loader, the dialog box to create an emulated drive comes up as usual. After clicking "yes", the message "Please Wait ... Creating emulated drive L:\" appears as usual. Eventually an error message "A timeout occured while changing the configuration of your emulated drive. You should not try to change the number of drives until you reboot." occurs. Disc Image Loader screen then appears with no emulated drive shown. Selecting "New" generates the message "Your computer needs to be rebooted to finish the drive configuration". If I select "Reboot", the computer reboots and I am right back to square one, with no emulated drive.

I have Windows XP Media Edition on 1yr old computer. EMC9 was installed in Dec. '06 and worked as advertised, including creating emulated drive (I accidentally deleted the drive in Disc Image Loader to arrive at my current problem). Norton System and Internet have been loaded and running since the computer was purchased (sorry Norton bashers). Am also using Mozilla Firefox and Adobe Photoshop Elements/Premiere Elements - both installed pre-Roxio.

I have:

-run pxengine per Roxio tech support email

-uninstalled all software loaded post-Roxio per blog suggestions (Sony Image Suite, Samsung MP3 pkg)

-checked registry using Norton - no Roxio-related issues appeared, corrected all listed problems

-replaced missing .dll files

-uninstalled and reinstalled EMC9 per Roxio tech support email

-checked for drivers for DVD (Cdr4_xp.sys) and Soft Scsi Host Adapter (c2scsi.sys) and verified versions

Does anyone know specifically what drivers and .dlls Disc Image Loader uses so I can verify them manually?

Any other ideas?

5 answers to this question

I'm not giving the exact path as it is on my system because it may be different on yours, but look for a folder in C:\program files under Roxio, called Virtual Drive or Virtual Drive 9 or find the folder containing DiscImageLoader9.exe. That has the dll files associated directly with the Roxio disc image loader. However, it may, of course, also call on other dlls (some Roxio Shared dlls, system dlls, etc), that may be missing or corrupt or not where Disc image loader is looking for them, so causing the time out.

You could use Process monitor from Sysinternals (now Microsoft) to follow what disc image loader calls and what it is trying to do when it times out.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysintern...essmonitor.mspx

You could also try a repair: in Control panel, add/remove, highlight Emc 9 suite entry, click change. Follow the wizard until you get to the screen with the options Modify, Repair, Remove; select repair, click next and the reinstall will proceed. It may ask for your CD. If you have the downloaded installation file, first extract its contents using Winzip or similar to a suitable folder. Then if/when the installer asks for a file, browse to that folder or a subfolder in it to find the required file.

Thanks for the Process Monitor path - its the most help I've gotten on this problem yet!

I've given up on Roxio help until I can investigate it myself and come up with specific questions. So far, the most I have gotten from them is an update to pxengine and assurance the problem is with somebody else's software, not theirs. They also only have tech support hours when most people, such as myself, are at work, earning the money that purchases their product in the first place. They were very nice, but ...

I have already reloaded EMC9 several times, run pxengine each time, uninstalled every piece of software I can remember loading since purchasing EMC9, again reinstalled, all to no avail. I have Norton System and Internet packages, System has a pretty good, but clumsy, Process Monitor package. I have begun, in my spare time, examining the Process Monitor output for a start-up sequence that begins with "boot" and ends with the Roxio DIL timing out. It took several tries to figure out what text format Norton uses in its reports (Unicode), and now I am slowly going over each entry to see if I can spot a conflicting process.

I have already downloaded the Process Monitor you suggested, and see it is far, faaaaaaaar superior to the Norton version. I'm going to start a fresh boot-and-timeout sequence using it.

If it is timing out after starting DIL, it tells me it is either not seeing a component dll or process, or it is not seeing the scsi emulator driver or the cd/dvd driver. I'm not Windows-literate enough to see how the drivers could not be seen. So I'm hoping to find something that accesses them prior to launching Roxio.

Again, thanks a bunch!

It's extremely unlikely that this is a BIOS setting. The drive detection there works on physical hardware and, as the emulated drive isn't loaded in until after the OS starts, the BIOS won't have any bearing on it.

Check that you don't have any drive letters unallocated (it should show in Control Panel, Administrativbe Tools, Disk Management)

Or - download the MS PowerToys - TweakUI normally lets you allow or deny any subsequent drive letter allocation

Those are the XP ones (they didn't make any for Vista but there is a basic TweakVI available here)

I have a problem with Disc Image Loader that tech support has not yet solved.

After firing up Disc Image Loader, the dialog box to create an emulated drive comes up as usual. After clicking "yes", the message "Please Wait ... Creating emulated drive L:\" appears as usual. Eventually an error message "A timeout occured while changing the configuration of your emulated drive. You should not try to change the number of drives until you reboot." occurs. Disc Image Loader screen then appears with no emulated drive shown. Selecting "New" generates the message "Your computer needs to be rebooted to finish the drive configuration". If I select "Reboot", the computer reboots and I am right back to square one, with no emulated drive.

I have Windows XP Media Edition on 1yr old computer. EMC9 was installed in Dec. '06 and worked as advertised, including creating emulated drive (I accidentally deleted the drive in Disc Image Loader to arrive at my current problem). Norton System and Internet have been loaded and running since the computer was purchased (sorry Norton bashers). Am also using Mozilla Firefox and Adobe Photoshop Elements/Premiere Elements - both installed pre-Roxio.

I have:

-run pxengine per Roxio tech support email

-uninstalled all software loaded post-Roxio per blog suggestions (Sony Image Suite, Samsung MP3 pkg)

-checked registry using Norton - no Roxio-related issues appeared, corrected all listed problems

-replaced missing .dll files

-uninstalled and reinstalled EMC9 per Roxio tech support email

-checked for drivers for DVD (Cdr4_xp.sys) and Soft Scsi Host Adapter (c2scsi.sys) and verified versions

Does anyone know specifically what drivers and .dlls Disc Image Loader uses so I can verify them manually?

Any other ideas?

:angry2: Same error and no answer!

Thanks for the Process Monitor path - its the most help I've gotten on this problem yet!

I've given up on Roxio help until I can investigate it myself and come up with specific questions. So far, the most I have gotten from them is an update to pxengine and assurance the problem is with somebody else's software, not theirs. They also only have tech support hours when most people, such as myself, are at work, earning the money that purchases their product in the first place. They were very nice, but ...

I have already reloaded EMC9 several times, run pxengine each time, uninstalled every piece of software I can remember loading since purchasing EMC9, again reinstalled, all to no avail. I have Norton System and Internet packages, System has a pretty good, but clumsy, Process Monitor package. I have begun, in my spare time, examining the Process Monitor output for a start-up sequence that begins with "boot" and ends with the Roxio DIL timing out. It took several tries to figure out what text format Norton uses in its reports (Unicode), and now I am slowly going over each entry to see if I can spot a conflicting process.

I have already downloaded the Process Monitor you suggested, and see it is far, faaaaaaaar superior to the Norton version. I'm going to start a fresh boot-and-timeout sequence using it.

If it is timing out after starting DIL, it tells me it is either not seeing a component dll or process, or it is not seeing the scsi emulator driver or the cd/dvd driver. I'm not Windows-literate enough to see how the drivers could not be seen. So I'm hoping to find something that accesses them prior to launching Roxio.

Again, thanks a bunch!

I think the problem is Hardware and not software. I have the same timeout error even after have installed EMC10 (or 9) immeadetly after Vista.

I think is a BIOS setting or something similar.

Any other idea?

Archived