nVidia low-end card finally out

ggrussell

Based on all the bad comments I have been reading on the forum about NVIDIA Gary, I'm not sure I would want another one. $69 bucks is certainly a low ball cost for a decent card though.

Do you suppose this new 8400 GS will be any better than my NVIDIA 7900GS ??

Frank...

Bad comments? If you're talking about the still image problem in Videowave, I wouldn't consider that much a problem.

The new line supports DirectX 10 for Vista. The 7900GS does not.

Yeah, I thought you were the first one that brought up a problem with the jerkiness or slight movement of the photos when run in Videowave. And it was a big problem as far as you were concerned at that time. And I thought after that there were many threads talking about that and the basic suggestion I got from everyone, was that it was do to the NVIDIA video card and drivers as opposed to an ATI card. I think Bruce was pretty adiment about that.

Or maybe I'm thinking of something else.

The new line supporting DirectX is certainly a good step if you are running Vista. No doubt.

Frank...

Based on all the bad comments I have been reading on the forum about NVIDIA Gary, I'm not sure I would want another one. $69 bucks is certainly a low ball cost for a decent card though.

Do you suppose this new 8400 GS will be any better than my NVIDIA 7900GS ??

Frank...

If you're looking for a good card, skip the 8400's and move up to the 8600's. You can get a DX10 capable MSI 8600 GTS OC (factory overclocked) card for around $150 at newegg. I've been playing World in Conflict (heavy graphics) without any hiccups.

Yeah, I thought you were the first one that brought up a problem with the jerkiness or slight movement of the photos when run in Videowave.
Not really a problem for me because I don't use 3D transitions much. 99% of the time I use disolves only. I'm just a voice for those that do . :)

The new nVidia DirectX 10 line so far 8400, 8600 and 8800

The new ATI DirectX 10 line so far HD2400, HD 2600 and HD2900

ATI is usually is a little more expensive. I haven't seen the HD2400 under $100 yet.

Just keep in mind that if you ever want to play with Linux, the ATI cards probably won't work while nVidia cards will.

They do, they do :lol:

I'm using an ATI X300 and it works great :P

You have to remember tho that the 'proper' drivers are close source binaries and the nVidia one after a reboot will toss up messages about it 'tainting the kernel'

Archived