scottj_1611

Progam Locking Up

Question

I'm trying to do a simple slideshow with background music and narration. However the program seems to lockup when doing some of the following: Adding a picture, background music, adding text, adding transitions, changing the duration of a slide and so on. I have contacted tech support and get the same answer ever time. Update your video driver. I have done that. I have also tried to run videowave 7 pro after disabling all programs in MSCONFIG without success. Any help would be appreciated.

Computer specs.

Dimension E310 Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 521 w/HT Technology (2.8GHz,800FSB)

Memory 1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 400MHz -2DIMMs

Monitor 17 inch E176FP Analog Flat Panel

Video Card Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 900

Hard Drive 80GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM)

Operating System Genuine Windows® XP Media Center 2005 Edition

Network Interface Integrated 10/100 Ethernet

Modem 56K PCI Data Fax Modem

CD or DVD Drive Single Drive: 16X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability

Sound Integrated 2.0 Channel High Definition Audio

22 answers to this question

Guest mlpasley

Are you saving frequently?

Do you have an 'always on' internet connection?

Edited by mlpasley

Guest mlpasley

The cause of freezing can be difficult to track down, but I do have a couple of ideas.

In your WindowsXP Control Panel\ System Properties\ Advanced\ Performance Settings\ Visual Effects... choose Adjust for Best Performance. While you're there, under the Advanced tab choose Virtual memory Change and set the minimum for your 1 GB RAM (1024) and the maximum twice your RAM (2048), Ok.

Windows doesn't seem to handle memory well with video editing.

The other thing I'd suggest is disabling your 'always on' when you're video editing. There should be a little icon on your taskbar (mine looks like a computer monitor). By right clicking on that icon, you can choose disable.

Editing pictures and video requires a lot of RAM memory and programs running in the background can interfer. I'd been using VW for a few months before I got an 'always on' connection and I found everything in VW slowed to a crawl or froze until I disabled it. Now that might depend on your ISP provider, but it couldn't hurt to try.

One thing that you might have missed ml is the OP is not running Win XP per say. In his personal data he lists Windows XP "Media Center 2005". Based on what he is trying to accomplish, I doubt if his problem is the size he sets for the amount of RAM he has, as it appears to be enough the way MS sets it by default.

Just a suggestion however.

Frank...

Guest mlpasley
One thing that you might have missed ml is the OP is not running Win XP per say. In his personal data he lists Windows XP "Media Center 2005". Based on what he is trying to accomplish, I doubt if his problem is the size he sets for the amount of RAM he has, as it appears to be enough the way MS sets it by default.

Frank...

Frank,

I appreciate your input.

I did notice that, but I'll confess my ignorance as to how WindowsXP Media Center 2005 sets the memory default. I know that many video editing programs recommend setting the memory manually to the minimum on the computer and maximum 2x RAM. I had lots of crashes and freezes when I let Windows manage the memory and set virtual memory.

I'd appreciate any input from someone who uses Media Center. I think I'm missing something that should be obvious.

Edited by mlpasley

Hello - I am having the exact same problem as described. I can do one or two things, like add a photo or two, or do an effect, then it locks up and the only thing that allows me to return to work in the program is to reboot. I have a brand new Dell, dual chip processor with Window Media Center. Any other possibilities?

I feel your frustration. My problem is a little stranger though.

I have been using VideoWave7 for a year now with very few if any problems. During the last few days though, I've experienced similar problems...simple slideshows being made, adding a transition or changing duration and whammo. Storyboard seems to be the culprit for me, it just hangs up. Why now? I do not know. The only thing that helps is to shut down storyboard using the task manager. Oh, and I guess I have to save and save often. I have tried many "repairs" and even uninstall/installs. It's helped little. By the way, uninstall is very sloppy in my opinion, leaving many files and folders behind. Could this be a problem?

Is a corrupt file or folder reappearing for me? In the meantime, it's task manager to the rescue for me.

By the way, I'm running on XP-Pro, 3 Ghz dual core, 2 gigs of ram, 128meg ATI card if that all means anything.

P.S., I noticed another person with an install/reinstall problem and someone told them about a Roxio tool that absolutely removes all traces of Roxio. Might this help me out?

thanks in advance for any input that anyone can give me...I'm new to this and hope I haven't been too long winded.

I have been using VideoWave7 for a year now with very few if any problems. During the last few days though, I've experienced similar problems...simple slideshows being made, adding a transition or changing duration and whammo. Storyboard seems to be the culprit for me, it just hangs up. Why now? I do not know. The only thing that helps is to shut down storyboard using the task manager. Oh, and I guess I have to save and save often. I have tried many "repairs" and even uninstall/installs. It's helped little. By the way, uninstall is very sloppy in my opinion, leaving many files and folders behind. Could this be a problem?

Is a corrupt file or folder reappearing for me? In the meantime, it's task manager to the rescue for me.

By the way, I'm running on XP-Pro, 3 Ghz dual core, 2 gigs of ram, 128meg ATI card if that all means anything.

P.S., I noticed another person with an install/reinstall problem and someone told them about a Roxio tool that absolutely removes all traces of Roxio. Might this help me out?

thanks in advance for any input that anyone can give me...I'm new to this and hope I haven't been too long winded.

vid2man97,

Those sound like symptoms of a corrupt Media Manager Database. Try the following:

Your Media Manager database (folder) is likely corrupt. That is a very common problem. Try this:

Removing the existing Media Manager database so it can be rebuilt:

(Note that the folder is a "hidden" one, so you may need to change your folder option settings to show hidden files & folders)

a. Close all open applications, especially Roxio applications

b. Open 'my computer'

c. Double click on the 'C:' drive and browse to 'C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\Roxio' where 'USERNAME' is the name of the user you are currently logged in as.

d. Right click on the 'MediaManager' folder and choose rename

e. Call the folder 'MediaManager.old'

f. Now try

If you have been using Videowave for a long time there is the possibility of a lot of temporary audio files remaining on your system. To clear these go to to Tools/Options/File Control and then click Delete Files. Some users have had GBs of files using up valuable disk space.

Thanks, Larry and Walt.

Even though I've used this program for a while, I have tried to make sure I delete what is no longer needed.

Even though I have three HDs adding up to many hundreds of gigs, I hate clutter. (Wish that was my problem...easy solution).

I did try the file rename suggestion and it appeared to work and then I got a glitch. I have Norton2006, spyware sweeper and adaware. I'm fairly confident I have nothing on my drives that doesn't belong, have done nothing unusual lately, files tidy and defragged. I'm going to try the uninstall with the Roxio application (if I can find the posting I saw it on) and re-install.

I guess I could try Roxio support too.

thanks again. will let you know if I succeed..

Thanks, Larry and Walt.

Even though I've used this program for a while, I have tried to make sure I delete what is no longer needed.

Even though I have three HDs adding up to many hundreds of gigs, I hate clutter. (Wish that was my problem...easy solution).

I did try the file rename suggestion and it appeared to work and then I got a glitch. I have Norton2006, spyware sweeper and adaware. I'm fairly confident I have nothing on my drives that doesn't belong, have done nothing unusual lately, files tidy and defragged. I'm going to try the uninstall with the Roxio application (if I can find the posting I saw it on) and re-install.

I guess I could try Roxio support too.

thanks again. will let you know if I succeed..

Well guys, here I am more than a week later and no response from roxio to my requests for help. Roxann is of no help and I'm putting myself in your hands. I see my options as either roxiozap, and/or windows uninstall utility, just forgetting about the program and use Premier Pro or a disc wipe and reinstall winxp et al. Sounds extreme.

So...I'm open to your advice as to my easiest and safest option.

thanks in advance

Well guys, here I am more than a week later and no response from roxio to my requests for help. Roxann is of no help and I'm putting myself in your hands. I see my options as either roxiozap, and/or windows uninstall utility, just forgetting about the program and use Premier Pro or a disc wipe and reinstall winxp et al. Sounds extreme.

So...I'm open to your advice as to my easiest and safest option.

thanks in advance

I had a problem recently that sounds similar. I would start Videowave and start working on a production. But after I tried to edit anything, the Production Preview window would go blank and the controls grey out. I tried reinstalling my display driver and I also reinstalled EMC several times. I finally ran Norton Systemwork's one-button checkup and it found a dll file for my display driver in the Windows\System32 directory that was missing. I don't know why it didn't get replaced when I reinstalled the driver. I compared the display drivers on my computer with another computer that had the same driver and made a list of those that were missing on mine. I then found the missing files in another directory on my computer and copied them into the Windows\System32 directory.

This may not have been the best way to go, but it fixed my problem. I'm not a real Windows guru, by any means, but EMC is now working.

I had a problem recently that sounds similar. I would start Videowave and start working on a production. But after I tried to edit anything, the Production Preview window would go blank and the controls grey out. I tried reinstalling my display driver and I also reinstalled EMC several times. I finally ran Norton Systemwork's one-button checkup and it found a dll file for my display driver in the Windows\System32 directory that was missing. I don't know why it didn't get replaced when I reinstalled the driver. I compared the display drivers on my computer with another computer that had the same driver and made a list of those that were missing on mine. I then found the missing files in another directory on my computer and copied them into the Windows\System32 directory.

This may not have been the best way to go, but it fixed my problem. I'm not a real Windows guru, by any means, but EMC is now working.

Glad it worked out for you. As far as I can tell I have everything else on my computer working nicely. For some bizarre reason one day I suppose I got a corrupted file and boom. My big problem seems to be the storyboard component. Sometimes I go into it and it hangs, sometimes while in storyboard, adding a transition or changing duration of a transition or pic, something simple like that, is enough to hang it again.

Uninstalling and reinstalling is giving me a hard time. I can work wonders with photoshop cs2 and a computer and it bothers me to get stymied by what should be a simple little program/problem. I guess you can't know everything...or maybe it's just me. By the sounds of it, some guys around here sure seem to know a lot. That's why I come here. I love to learn. Now if I could learn how to make videowave work....

3.0Ghz HT Prescott chip

P4P800SE board

2 Gigs Kingston 400mhzDDRram

1 80 Gig SATA Seagate

1 120 Gig SATA Seagate

1 200 Gig ATA Western Digital

ATI 9600 128 meg video

Lite On 167T DVD16X/CD52X reader

Pioneer 107D DVD8X/CD24X writer

LG 17 inch LCD monitor

WinXP-Pro with all patches+packs

Well it seems I just had a messy registry. I wonder if that's why I couldn't get a clean uninstall. So I uninstalled using Windows add/remove, then manually deleted any files and folders left over. I ran a registry cleaner called AMust...it pretty much rocks. I seem to be fine now with the new install. I still have to turn of Norton Antivirus 2006 though. Does anyone else out there use it? It's very intrusive.

thanks to all the advice I've seen on this forum from all you gurus...

Edited by vid2man97

Glad it worked out for you. As far as I can tell I have everything else on my computer working nicely. For some bizarre reason one day I suppose I got a corrupted file and boom. My big problem seems to be the storyboard component. Sometimes I go into it and it hangs, sometimes while in storyboard, adding a transition or changing duration of a transition or pic, something simple like that, is enough to hang it again.

Uninstalling and reinstalling is giving me a hard time. I can work wonders with photoshop cs2 and a computer and it bothers me to get stymied by what should be a simple little program/problem. I guess you can't know everything...or maybe it's just me. By the sounds of it, some guys around here sure seem to know a lot. That's why I come here. I love to learn. Now if I could learn how to make videowave work....

3.0Ghz HT Prescott chip

P4P800SE board

2 Gigs Kingston 400mhzDDRram

1 80 Gig SATA Seagate

1 120 Gig SATA Seagate

1 200 Gig ATA Western Digital

ATI 9600 128 meg video

Lite On 167T DVD16X/CD52X reader

Pioneer 107D DVD8X/CD24X writer

LG 17 inch LCD monitor

WinXP-Pro with all patches+packs

Well it seems I just had a messy registry. I wonder if that's why I couldn't get a clean uninstall. So I uninstalled using Windows add/remove, then manually deleted any files and folders left over. I ran a registry cleaner called AMust...it pretty much rocks. I seem to be fine now with the new install. I still have to turn of Norton Antivirus 2006 though. Does anyone else out there use it? It's very intrusive.

thanks to all the advice I've seen on this forum from all you gurus...

I'm back to having problems similar to yours. When you deleted the file and folders left over, did you delete the "c:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared" folder? Just wondering as I'm trying to do the same thing that you did hoping that it will fix my problems.

I'm back to having problems similar to yours. When you deleted the file and folders left over, did you delete the "c:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared" folder? Just wondering as I'm trying to do the same thing that you did hoping that it will fix my problems.

Yes I deleted this one too. You might see a warning that other programs might need info that's in there. It refered to logs relating to the cd/dvd drives. It should only matter to Roxio but if it makes you nervous, you can always backup the folder to a cd and replace it if things go wonky on you. Good luck.

I hate to revive this old old topic but I seem to need advice again.

I thought I had this problem licked long ago, and used VW7 Professional just a few times right after I presumed it was fixed. It seemed fine.

That was then, and this is now, a few months later when I went to use it and found I actually have the exact same problems. The program locks up primarily in Storyboard, although it's happend in videowave as well.

Simply dragging in a transition or changing the transition or pic duration times can cause my little hourglass to appear and taunt me forever.

Last time around, the only thing I didn't try was the Microsoft cleaner (or roxizap). How safe is it (either one) to use, and is this my only other option? Is one better/safer than the other?

To remind everyone, I simply uninstalled with add/remove, manually removed some leftover folders, and ran Amust registry cleaner.

Thanks for any help...

:) Hello, this is my first time on this board. I've been reading all the posts re: locking up on Videowave which I have been using for the past year, NO PROBLEM. Now having the same problems as described in all of the posts regarding locking when adding transitions, new text and so on.

Frankly, I find this VERY scary.

Please help me find a solution that has actually worked. I'm a bit confused reading all this.

I have a project I thought was nearly complete, but now it keeps locking. As a test I've tried to make a few minor changes on another project (completed) but have the exact same result.

Am sure I will be dreaming of unending hour glasses for ever!!!!!!

Any advice will be grately appreciated.

:) Hello, this is my first time on this board. I've been reading all the posts re: locking up on Videowave which I have been using for the past year, NO PROBLEM. Now having the same problems as described in all of the posts regarding locking when adding transitions, new text and so on.

Frankly, I find this VERY scary.

Please help me find a solution that has actually worked. I'm a bit confused reading all this.

I have a project I thought was nearly complete, but now it keeps locking. As a test I've tried to make a few minor changes on another project (completed) but have the exact same result.

Am sure I will be dreaming of unending hour glasses for ever!!!!!!

Any advice will be grately appreciated.

For now, I've found a workaround that seems to be fairly trouble free. I'm pretty sure I've read that this isn't the right way to work on a slideshow, but storyboard is acting up on me.

I've been doing as much of my work in DVD builder as possible and saving it. Then, when I absolutely have to, I'll go into storyboard.

I'm just too wary of cleaning things out of the harddrive with utilities right now to risk messing something up cause I have too many other important things to do right now. It's wedding season and I don't need to be wasting time by creating more problems for myself. I can make ladies look beautiful in their wedding dresses but sometimes I need photoshop to help.

And I understand not getting any replies here. I think everyone's helped as much as they can. It must be hard to try to solve a problem without knowing all the facts. You can never know everything about someone's computer, what's been done to it, what hasn't and so on. There's probably nothing to add to what's been recommended.

But dang it, I wish I could go back in time and figure out why this started in the first place. I made so many DVDs with no problem and then one day...

Guest mlpasley
I've been doing as much of my work in DVD builder as possible and saving it. Then, when I absolutely have to, I'll go into storyboard.

vid2man97,

You really need to be building your productions in VideoWave.

Storyboard has a history of 'locking up' the applications. (For others who may be reading this..... when you build a production in DVD Builder and click Advanced Edit, Storyboard is the application that opens.) The edits are actually saved to a file in a temporary directory. I have a suspicion that the freezing has something to do with your RAM memory since a longer production with more advanced edits tends to freeze more often than a small production.

I stopped using Storyboard long ago.

1. A better way is to start your production in VideoWave. Do your editing in that program. Then burn the production with DVD Builder.

Now if you're in DVD Builder and discover that you need to make a lot of editing changes, quit DVD Builder and reopen you VideoWave project.

When you've completed your edits, save the production and exit VideoWave. Now reopen your DVD Builder project. The files are 'linked' so the edits you've made in VideoWave will automatically be in your DVD Builder project.

2. If you started that project in DVD Builder, you can get it into VideoWave by doing an Advanced Edit and making a small change and hitting Done (hopefully, it won't freeze). Then DO NOT CLOSE the DVD Builder project. Do a Windows/ Start / Search and look for your DVD Builder production file name in Advanced Search, look in hidden folders and subfolders. It will be a in a c:\Documents and Settings\ Owner\ Local Settings\ Temp. Double click on it and it will open in VideoWave. Do an immediate File\ Save project as.... and the file will be saved in VideoWave. This file won't be linked to your original DVD Builder project, so you'll have to delete the original file on the menu and add the VideoWave file.

Sorry for the long explanation, but I hope it helps. If I wasn't clear, please ask.

I knew there was some other way I was supposed to be doing this. Sorry for being lazy and not scrolling through all the previous topics to find it.

I've done video and very long slideshows without problems, and now just a quick test of a few pics in a slideshow will hang me up.

This was never a problem for me before...but that was then, and I'll follow these instructions from now on.

I don't have time right now, but hopefully tonight (my time...e.d.t.), I'll run some tests and will let you know how I'm doing.

I appreciate the help...and the more detailed the advice the better...thanks

Edited by vid2man97

I would have added a little smiley face in here, but It wouldn't compare to my big smiling face.

I followed ML's instructions and after a few different productions, I seem to be doing just fine. No more storyboard and that unending hourglass for me. I highly recommend to anyone else that's had problems with the storyboard to follow these instructions. Hopefully it'll get you smiling again too.

thanks again ML...

Guest mlpasley

You're welcome.

Those smiley faces are why I hang out here. :)