• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 18 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

DVD Burner malfunction

DERJR

Question

Running EMC7, XP SP2 and HP dvd940i writer. Intially had trouble even getting the PC to recognize the burner, but after several weeks and different posts - got that accomplished where I can now burn DVDs.

The HP though will not boot when I put a music CD or DVD in. I have to put a music CD in the HP drive, power down the PC and let it re-boot before I can copy tracks from a music CD. A real pain the butt.

Any suggestions?

4 answers to this question

I'm a bit puzzled here.

...... are you putting a CD in the computer after it is up and it isn't being recognized?

Lynn

If the above is the case, go to Start/ My Computer, then right click on your DVD drive, select Properties, then click on the AutoPlay tab. See how your computer is set up to recognize a CD/DVD in your drive from the selections on the drop down menu.

If you are trying to do a cold boot with a CD in the CD drive, and it is a non-system CD, then (remember non-system floppy discs in the floppy drive?) I think that would block the boot if the BIOS is set to check the CD drive prior to the Hard Drive (where the Operating System is).

<snip>

Or am I entirely in a different frame of reference?

Lynn

Different page, Lynn.

A non-bootable optical disc in the drive won't "block the boot". If the optical disc isn't bootable the BIOS will just move on down the selected order to the other alternatives. The old XT machines you remember didn't have those alternatives.

Running EMC7, XP SP2 and HP dvd940i writer. Intially had trouble even getting the PC to recognize the burner, but after several weeks and different posts - got that accomplished where I can now burn DVDs.

The HP though will not boot when I put a music CD or DVD in. I have to put a music CD in the HP drive, power down the PC and let it re-boot before I can copy tracks from a music CD. A real pain the butt.

Any suggestions?

Contact HP, if it is under warranty, and get a new burner.

I'm a bit puzzled here.

Are you trying to do a cold boot with a CD in the CD drive? Or are you putting a CD in the computer after it is up and it isn't being recognized?

If you are trying to do a cold boot with a CD in the CD drive, and it is a non-system CD, then (remember non-system floppy discs in the floppy drive?) I think that would block the boot if the BIOS is set to check the CD drive prior to the Hard Drive (where the Operating System is).

At interconnection.org, when we refurbish computers, they are set for CD-ROM first (that is a generic term that can include a CD burner or a DVD drive if the latter is recognized as a CD drive - depends on how old the drive is), then floppy drive, and finally the Hard Drive. This is so it is possible to put a CD in and wipe the Hard Drive clean, and then put in another CD or attach to a LAN and put on the new Operating Sytem.

Of course, you could revise how the BIOS is set, but if you have to take it to the shop for repairs they might not appreciate that. :huh:

So if you are trying to do a cold boot with a non-system CD in the CD-ROM - wait until it has booted.

Or am I entirely in a different frame of reference?

Lynn

Archived