• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 13 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Image Squashing and Main Menu

Cat Rosie

Question

Oh dear... I know that both of these topics have been posted recently, but I truly am a complete novice user who also doesn't understand much about computers, tried to figure out a solution from the posted answers but... sorry...

so

1. I am using Toast 6.1.0. Recently, it has been turning one of my films in particular, exported as a final cut pro self contained movie, into widescreen. It doesn't do that with anything else. I wonder if it is something to do with the fact that this particular film is all in portrait rather than landscape? Although I don't see what difference this would make... I can see that you can alter the aspect ratio under settings when you export from final cut pro, but i keep the same as all my other videos, and when I watch it back as a self contained movie it looks totally fine. Help! I tried to follow the instructions as per this previous programme but got totally and utterly lost.

2. I need to make a background that isn't that swirly blue one. Is this possible? I tried to find the menu file so that I could change it under photoshop but couldn't find it anywhere.

My ancient creaky old operating system is 10.2.4.

Thank you!

Cat Rosie

4 answers to this question

These are difficult issues that are better resolved in later versions of Toast which in turn require later versions of OS X.

There may be something you can do with the Final Cut settings that will help Toast 6 recognize the proper aspect ratio. I don't know what that is, though. Maybe this is addressed in the Final Cut forum at discussions.apple.com.

The problem likely is in a setting in the IFO which can be changed with MyDVDEdit. There is a tutorial on their site. The process involves copying the VIDEO_TS folder from the DVD to your hard drive, changing the folder's permissions to Read & Write, and using MyDVDEdit to change the aspect ratio setting to 4:3. Then you'd save the file and use Toast to burn the VIDEO_TS folder to a new DVD.

The menu background can be changed using versions of Photoshop that support layers. The menu layout is inside the Toast package (control-click on Toast and choose "Show Package Contents."

These matters are not easy to explain. It might be better for you to take your Final Cut project to a friend who can create a DVD for you than to try to make Toast 6 do what you want. Or you might use iDVD instead.

Thanks... this is really useful... but...

I seem to have figured it all out now, my dvd edit, how to change aspect ratio, and the photoshop part... apart from the most basic bit! I have the burned dvd, copied to my hard drive, which I am opening up in mydvdedit, but I am unable to open files & save changes.

I highlight the folder, and have tried highlighting individual documents within the folder, going to "get info" and trying to change permissions from "read only" to "read and write" but can't do it: it simply won't let me. I went into toast to see if there was any particular setting I should apply before burning a dvd to start with: but I can't manage it.

Any suggestions?!

Thank you!

Rosie

Thanks... this is really useful... but...

I seem to have figured it all out now, my dvd edit, how to change aspect ratio, and the photoshop part... apart from the most basic bit! I have the burned dvd, copied to my hard drive, which I am opening up in mydvdedit, but I am unable to open files & save changes.

I highlight the folder, and have tried highlighting individual documents within the folder, going to "get info" and trying to change permissions from "read only" to "read and write" but can't do it: it simply won't let me. I went into toast to see if there was any particular setting I should apply before burning a dvd to start with: but I can't manage it.

Any suggestions?!

Thank you!

Rosie

Drag the VIDEO_TS folder from the mounted DVD to the hard drive to copy it there. Click on the copied VIDEO_TS folder and choose Get Info. Change the permissions to Read & Write, click the triangle next to Details and choose Apply to Enclosed Items. You'll now be able to edit the IFO with MyDVDEdit.

After you've saved your edits then choose the DVD video from VIDEO_TS setting in the Toast Video window, select the copied VIDEO_TS folder and burn your new DVD.

Archived