Clean up of Recorded LP's - Very Time Intensive?

Nightmare

Question

I just got the trial version of EMC9 (expecting my hard disk tomorrow) and I have been transfering some analog (Vinal LP's) to digital format and it seems to be quite a long process. As I understand it, you first have to use the LP and Tape Assistant for this process.

STEP 1

Open LP and Tape Assistant.

Make sure that your equipment is hooked up right (mine is record player through amplifier to Creative Aidugy SE sound card - line in)

Either use the AUTO adjust or adjust audio input manually while running the LP to make sure that there is no over-modulation occuring.

Start the LP and then start the RECORD option.

Record the entire side of the LP then PAUSE and turn the LP over and then RECORD side 2, or just turn the LP over while still recording (deleting out the flop later) in step 2

Stop recording the LP when done.

STEP 2

Edit the digital music that was just recorded by adjusting the TRACK start and stop, editing out noises, etc, etc...

TAG the music tracks and add the album information.

STEP 3

(Now this is the time consuming part)

This is where you CLEAN, ATTENUATE and EQUALIZE the music.

For me, the only thing that I do is to CLEAN the CLICKS, POPS, etc from the digital recordings but it requires that I play the entire DIGITAL TRACK again (unless there is a shortcut that I have not found yet).

Verify that everything is OK then SAVE in the FORMAT that you desire.

I have over 800 LPs that I need to run this process on. If I have to play the album twice (once for recording and once for cleaning), that is an average of 1.5 to 2 hours per album. This is gonna equate to somewhere between 1,200 to 1,600 hours just to do these two steps (recording the album and then the clean process). And this is just a 'quick' clean and not much more.

Am I required to play the entire digital track to clean it or is there a shortcut that can be used?

Thanks

Steve

2 answers to this question

STEP 3

(Now this is the time consuming part)

This is where you CLEAN, ATTENUATE and EQUALIZE the music.

For me, the only thing that I do is to CLEAN the CLICKS, POPS, etc from the digital recordings but it requires that I play the entire DIGITAL TRACK again (unless there is a shortcut that I have not found yet).

Verify that everything is OK then SAVE in the FORMAT that you desire.

I have over 800 LPs that I need to run this process on. If I have to play the album twice (once for recording and once for cleaning), that is an average of 1.5 to 2 hours per album. This is gonna equate to somewhere between 1,200 to 1,600 hours just to do these two steps (recording the album and then the clean process). And this is just a 'quick' clean and not much more.

Am I required to play the entire digital track to clean it or is there a shortcut that can be used?

Thanks

Steve

As Gary said, you don't have to "play" the tracks. Apply the filters, listening to as much as you need to get the levels set appropriately. Once those are set, you Export the tracks/clips. During that step is when the actual filtering/equalization gets done, and it's done much faster than real-time. Playing them only lets you hear what they'll sound like after you've saved/exported them. Make sure you're saving them as .WAV files so there's no lossy compression done, which also takes extra time. Besides, if you're going to be making Audio CDs, you don't want to lose any data.

Hope that helps!

Archived