Will new computer be big enough for Videowave

gmkbdl

Question

3 weeks ago, I wrote about EMC8 videowave coming to a halt. Alas, it was my computer, but had extended warranty. After numerous trips, I am now in the process of paper work for new replacement computer. I was looking at Sony VGNSZ650N/C. MY ONLY CONCERN IS THAT IT WORKS WITH EMC8. I use it all the time. I did look up the specs, but honestly, they mean very little to me. Does anyone out there have a computer like this and will it do the job for me? I am so hesitant, and wish I knew more about these things. I won't get anything that won't run EMC8 properly. Also, thinking of upgrading to EMC9, will this work? Sorry to be a pain, but I trust you more than I trust a salesman. Thanks.

9 answers to this question

3 weeks ago, I wrote about EMC8 videowave coming to a halt. Alas, it was my computer, but had extended warranty. After numerous trips, I am now in the process of paper work for new replacement computer. I was looking at Sony VGNSZ650N/C. MY ONLY CONCERN IS THAT IT WORKS WITH EMC8. I use it all the time. I did look up the specs, but honestly, they mean very little to me. Does anyone out there have a computer like this and will it do the job for me? I am so hesitant, and wish I knew more about these things. I won't get anything that won't run EMC8 properly. Also, thinking of upgrading to EMC9, will this work? Sorry to be a pain, but I trust you more than I trust a salesman. Thanks.

Regardless of the computer properties, V8 does not run with Vista. That new computer will probably have Vista Business unless you make other arrangements.

As usual, that laptop is NOT listed on the Sony US site (that I could find). Amazon has it listed but it must be so new that there are no reviews to read. Why not something in the FZ series if you have that option? According to Sony, that is their multimedia line of laptops. Do you want the small screen of the one you listed?

Wait a little while, EMC V10 is supposed to ship towards the end of September.

Thanks for all your help = you can't imagine how scarey this is for me. I talked to a manager today to see if they can repair mine, so I can keep what I have. Don't think I should have to spring for a new program. Just makes me sick. MK

I'm back. Because of "no lemon warranty", I will be getting a new computer with Vista on it, so I will be upgrading my EMC8 to EMC9. You suggested I get Delux 9.1 version. I am having a hard time locating the 9.1 version. Any suggestions as to web sites that offer the 9.1 version. I can only find the "9" version. Will the "9" version work on vista??? Thanks for the advice. MK

You should be able to open the projects in V9. Since you are going to a new computer, put everything - images, music, project files in a folder and copy that folder to your new computer. When VideoWave opens, open the project. When it says it can't find the images, point to that folder.

Seems like you are already half way there.

Thanks for all your help = you can't imagine how scarey this is for me. I talked to a manager today to see if they can repair mine, so I can keep what I have. Don't think I should have to spring for a new program. Just makes me sick. MK

I'm back. Because of "no lemon warranty", I will be getting a new computer with Vista on it, so I will be upgrading my EMC8 to EMC9. You suggested I get Delux 9.1 version. I am having a hard time locating the 9.1 version. Any suggestions as to web sites that offer the 9.1 version. I can only find the "9" version. Will the "9" version work on vista??? Thanks for the advice. MK

You have delayed and that may be good for you. V10 is due out in Sept and you may want to try that instead.

I misspoke, there is no EMC 9.1 Deluxe. If you can find a good deal on the V9 deluxe; Roxio is expected to post an update to 9.0 to 9.1 (promised long ago). That way you''l have V 9.1 Deluxe. There are a lot of extra content in the deluxe as well as a good program to clean up audio *Sound Soap) and the Dazzle DVC 90 capture device. Many people get V9 to run on Vista while others have problems. You may want to read some of the posts in the Vista area of these boards to get some hints on running it.

Thank you, it never dawned on me that EMC8 would not work with Vista. Now I am in a pickle. I will look at the FZ series. I didn't realize Sony had computers aimed at multi-media. What does this mean? Are they geared more for photo projects? Sorry to be so dumb, but I want to make sure I can use EMC as soon as I can. Thanks. MK

Thank you, it never dawned on me that EMC8 would not work with Vista. Now I am in a pickle. I will look at the FZ series. I didn't realize Sony had computers aimed at multi-media. What does this mean? Are they geared more for photo projects? Sorry to be so dumb, but I want to make sure I can use EMC as soon as I can. Thanks. MK

According to their site they do. Some of the laptops have very good quality video chips (NVIDIA® GeForce® 8400M GT) and probably have a better sound system device. There are a few that you can customize that end up about the same price as the one you looked at. If you get that computer with Vista, and you want to get back into editing quickly, see if you can find a deal on EMC 9.1 Deluxe. Make sure it is the 9.1 version.

According to their site they do. Some of the laptops have very good quality video chips (NVIDIA® GeForce® 8400M GT) and probably have a better sound system device. There are a few that you can customize that end up about the same price as the one you looked at. If you get that computer with Vista, and you want to get back into editing quickly, see if you can find a deal on EMC 9.1 Deluxe. Make sure it is the 9.1 version.

If I upgrade to Vista and EMC 9.1 , will I be able to download a project I started in EMC 8, or will I have to start all over. I had finished a project on my old computer, but could not get it to burn. Saved all the photos and music, plus the project itself. Would it be better if I looked for something with Windows XP rather than Vista? Boy, what a mess this is. Thanks again, especially on the screen size, something I didn't even think about. MK

You have delayed and that may be good for you. V10 is due out in Sept and you may want to try that instead.

I misspoke, there is no EMC 9.1 Deluxe. If you can find a good deal on the V9 deluxe; Roxio is expected to post an update to 9.0 to 9.1 (promised long ago). That way you''l have V 9.1 Deluxe. There are a lot of extra content in the deluxe as well as a good program to clean up audio *Sound Soap) and the Dazzle DVC 90 capture device. Many people get V9 to run on Vista while others have problems. You may want to read some of the posts in the Vista area of these boards to get some hints on running it.

Thanks once again, this has been quite an ordeal. A month without my computer - bad news, no Roxio; good news; house is cleaner than ever. MK

If I upgrade to Vista and EMC 9.1 , will I be able to download a project I started in EMC 8, or will I have to start all over. I had finished a project on my old computer, but could not get it to burn. Saved all the photos and music, plus the project itself. Would it be better if I looked for something with Windows XP rather than Vista? Boy, what a mess this is. Thanks again, especially on the screen size, something I didn't even think about. MK

You should be able to open the projects in V9. Since you are going to a new computer, put everything - images, music, project files in a folder and copy that folder to your new computer. When VideoWave opens, open the project. When it says it can't find the images, point to that folder.

Seems like you are already half way there.

Archived