No audio on DVD import. Videowave 9 says I need AC3 support.

tempest765

Question

I tried to import a DVD of home movies that I had made on my outboard DVD recorder from VHS. Videowave 9 (EMC9) will not let the audio play in preview or be imported with the video. It does recognize AC3 but also says "unknown". I would really like to get this going so I can make my compilations. System info: Windows XP Pro 64 bit, 2.4 AMD processor, 2 HD's each 250GB, 3GB RAM, Nvidia 512MB video card, M Audio Audiophile 192 sound card. Thanks, Tony.

7 answers to this question

Hence the problem. It is supposed to work, and doesn't, and noone has been able to say why that would be. Maybe its panasonics fault? My set top Panny DVD recorder very easily turns my tapes or whatever into proper DVDs that are readable on any computer or player I have. My Panny DVD camcorder software very nicely turns the discs .vro files into mpegs with AC3 audio. And their rudimentary editor can turn them into DVDs. Creator 7 could not do anything with the mpeg files, nor can version 9. I have gone out and tried some various freeware and shareware authors and codec packs etc., and they seem to be able to deal with AC3 just fine. I would however like an "all-in-one package", like Creator or Nero or Pinnacle or Ulead or ............ to do it.

Am I a noob? No, I have currently have 5 computers all running quite nicely in my house and several that need to be recycled in the basement. I still have my old Buz, DVC11 and some other stuff from years of playing with video. I do not however write software, and I just wish there was either support to get it to work as published, or recourse for when it does not.

Anyways, thanks for your response Grandpa.

I am having a similar issue with getting the video recoded on Panny DVD recorder imported in EMC 9.0 and I guess there is no way out this seems to be problem with EMC and Panny DCD recorder. It will be of help if you can sugget a few freeware / shareware that I can use to get this thing done.

Thank

Slimshaddyz

I doubt that anyone in the forum is going to absolutely guarantee you will have AC3 work with EMC 10, on your computer. If it didn't work in EMC 9 for you, chances are, you MAY have the same problem in EMC 10.

I haven't had a problem with either versions, but that doesn't help you. No lacklustre versions of the EMC suites that I have had.

Hence the problem. It is supposed to work, and doesn't, and noone has been able to say why that would be. Maybe its panasonics fault? My set top Panny DVD recorder very easily turns my tapes or whatever into proper DVDs that are readable on any computer or player I have. My Panny DVD camcorder software very nicely turns the discs .vro files into mpegs with AC3 audio. And their rudimentary editor can turn them into DVDs. Creator 7 could not do anything with the mpeg files, nor can version 9. I have gone out and tried some various freeware and shareware authors and codec packs etc., and they seem to be able to deal with AC3 just fine. I would however like an "all-in-one package", like Creator or Nero or Pinnacle or Ulead or ............ to do it.

Am I a noob? No, I have currently have 5 computers all running quite nicely in my house and several that need to be recycled in the basement. I still have my old Buz, DVC11 and some other stuff from years of playing with video. I do not however write software, and I just wish there was either support to get it to work as published, or recourse for when it does not.

Anyways, thanks for your response Grandpa.

I tried to import a DVD of home movies that I had made on my outboard DVD recorder from VHS. Videowave 9 (EMC9) will not let the audio play in preview or be imported with the video. It does recognize AC3 but also says "unknown". I would really like to get this going so I can make my compilations. System info: Windows XP Pro 64 bit, 2.4 AMD processor, 2 HD's each 250GB, 3GB RAM, Nvidia 512MB video card, M Audio Audiophile 192 sound card. Thanks, Tony.

Try downloading and installing this

Try downloading and installing this

Same problem, many seem to have it. No AC3 support in 9, even though I have read in here before that 7 and up had support. Seems most recording equipment I have uses AC3 but it never seems to be supported in any RETAIL software. Freeware and shareware seem to have it but I would like my nice glossy boxed package to have it.

I have been through a couple of roxio things, adaptec before that. I have refrained from Ulead, Pinnacle, Adobe etc. so far but now am looking at them. Nero 8 is out and Creator 10 seem to be delayed. Pinnacle, sadly, wants another 10 bucks online for the AC3 so they can kiss my butt ................. again. Creator 10 **SEEMS** to say it will support it, but the lacklustre performance of the last versions, including this 9, have me looking hard at Nero right now.

Any support people in here wanna tell me how to make my 9 run AC3? Or absolutely guarantee me that version 10 will directly open and work on .vob and .vro files that have AC3 audio? If it did, I might wait for it, but i doubt it will do it out the box for some reason.

AC3 like mpg2 can exist in many different forms -- I guess think of it as different dialects for one language. Hardware can handle different types because all it has to do is decode and play -- software tries to understand the file a bit more. Sometimes various software has problems with different ac3 &/or mpg2 -- this is not limited to Roxio. The solution when it comes to editing ac3 is to turn the ac3 into ordinary wav files -- as ac3 is not editable anyway, it makes sense. [software that reads ac3 will just have to decode, edit, and re-encode anyway]. Also Videowave/MyDVD will not encode 5.1 ac3, though they will pass it thru.

FWIW I use PgcDemux with discs from my Pani DVDR -- this gives m2v video and ac3 audio that while a bit different is usually tolerated in most software. I also use Copy which gives a mpg file with both audio and video that works well with Videowave/MyDVD [they work better with muxed mpg2 & ac3 versus separate files].

Who's fault is it that the Pani's files are a bit different? The folks who came up with the specs that concentrate on playback & not encoding. As it is any hardware or software can encode mpg2 or AC3 however they choose, as long as the result is playable on your DVD player. With an unlimited variety of how mpg2 & ac3 files can be encoded, no editing software will be able to handle everything 100%. Higher end video editing software often won't even try.

Same problem, many seem to have it. No AC3 support in 9, even though I have read in here before that 7 and up had support. Seems most recording equipment I have uses AC3 but it never seems to be supported in any RETAIL software. Freeware and shareware seem to have it but I would like my nice glossy boxed package to have it.

I have been through a couple of roxio things, adaptec before that. I have refrained from Ulead, Pinnacle, Adobe etc. so far but now am looking at them. Nero 8 is out and Creator 10 seem to be delayed. Pinnacle, sadly, wants another 10 bucks online for the AC3 so they can kiss my butt ................. again. Creator 10 **SEEMS** to say it will support it, but the lacklustre performance of the last versions, including this 9, have me looking hard at Nero right now.

Any support people in here wanna tell me how to make my 9 run AC3? Or absolutely guarantee me that version 10 will directly open and work on .vob and .vro files that have AC3 audio? If it did, I might wait for it, but i doubt it will do it out the box for some reason.

I doubt that anyone in the forum is going to absolutely guarantee you will have AC3 work with EMC 10, on your computer. If it didn't work in EMC 9 for you, chances are, you MAY have the same problem in EMC 10.

I haven't had a problem with either versions, but that doesn't help you. No lacklustre versions of the EMC suites that I have had.

Archived