Copy Home Video Dvd To Hard Drive

uva25

Question

I have been capturing movies from my DVD's that contain my home videos (recorded on a Sony DVD recorder). I capture into MPEG format. A few questions. Is this MPEG 2? Am I losing much quality? Also, it seems as if I select the entire movie (rather than each chapter), I can't fast forward/go to next chapter when I play it on my media server. If I select the list of chapters to copy to hard drive I am able to skip. Does this make sense?

2 answers to this question

The files on the miniDVD are MPEG2. They are copied to the hard drive as MPEG2 and you should not be losing any quality. I don't know what you are using as a 'media server'. The chapters would not be transferred. That is a function of DVD menu. You should be able to transfer the 'chapters' on the miniDVD into individual MPEG files. Instead of highlighting them all and clicking IMPORT. You have to select one at a time and then IMPORT. Each chapter on the disc will then be transferred as a single file. If you have 5 chapters, you will then have 5 separate files.

The files on the miniDVD are MPEG2. They are copied to the hard drive as MPEG2 and you should not be losing any quality. I don't know what you are using as a 'media server'. The chapters would not be transferred. That is a function of DVD menu. You should be able to transfer the 'chapters' on the miniDVD into individual MPEG files. Instead of highlighting them all and clicking IMPORT. You have to select one at a time and then IMPORT. Each chapter on the disc will then be transferred as a single file. If you have 5 chapters, you will then have 5 separate files.

Thanks. It sounds like I am better off doing each chapter. I am using Windows Media Connect software on a D-Link 520. I realize that when I capture from DV to hard drive it says MPEG2 but I wasn't sure when I capture from a burned DVD (VOB files created by a Sony GX7 recorder) if it also created MPEG2's.

Archived