• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 8 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

DVD Media Size limitation 4.4GB

mwwerner10

Question

hi, Over the weekend, took a bunch of Microsoft recommended security patches. Before taking them, I was using my burner for a routine burn of a DVD data disk where the allowable capacity was 4.7 GB.

Following hours of downloads (that's right no high speed internet available at my house, poor me) and a reboot now my max data disk size (same media) is limited to 4.4GB and it won't allow me to over burn.

So, obviously it was a MS security fix, (I'll have to provide the list of what I took on when I get home).

I'm using Windows XP SP2.

Hopefully the Windows Restore will take me back. Just wonder which one it is.

10 answers to this question

Maybe this wille xplain it - there are two ways of measuring disc size and, while computer people use one, the disc makers use the other (makes them look bigger) :lol:

"Disc manufacturers assume: 1 GByte = 1000 x 1000 x 1000 bytes, but computer software normally assumes: 1 GByte = 1024 x 1024 x 1024 bytes. So 4.7 (disc manufacturers) GBytes = 4.38 (computer software) GBytes"

interesting that you say this about the media size. in the Data Disc window, it used to show that it was a 4.7GB DVD in the drive. After the updates it showed 4.4 GB Disk in the drive.

My estimated free space in Creator Classic, with the drop down menu at the bottom set to 4.7GB disc, and a single layer DVD inserted in the drive. Reads estimated free space 4.38GB with 1.38mb used for for the data disc project.

cd

And btw - GI7OMY is a callsign and is used fully

Not by me, and I read all about it at eHam..

cd

interesting that you say this about the media size. in the Data Disc window, it used to show that it was a 4.7GB DVD in the drive. After the updates it showed 4.4 GB Disk in the drive.

You never have mentioned what you are looking at the discs with??? No idea what a "data disc window" is???

But in the end it really doesn't matter. Before your updates, your 4.7gb media held about 4.3gb of data.

After update, you 4.7gb media held about 4.3gb of data. So nothing has changed!!!

hi, Over the weekend, took a bunch of Microsoft recommended security patches. Before taking them, I was using my burner for a routine burn of a DVD data disk where the allowable capacity was 4.7 GB.

Following hours of downloads (that's right no high speed internet available at my house, poor me) and a reboot now my max data disk size (same media) is limited to 4.4GB and it won't allow me to over burn.

So, obviously it was a MS security fix, (I'll have to provide the list of what I took on when I get home).

I'm using Windows XP SP2.

Hopefully the Windows Restore will take me back. Just wonder which one it is.

I am using XP SP2 as well on my laptop. I am facing the exact same problem too. but I may not be the wondows update. because i have Ubuntu installed on my other partition. I tried it from linux as well. I got the same problem. I am pretty sure that it used to show 4.7GB on linux as well, but now it shows 4.4GB. And I am pretty #$^@ sure the data I was putting in these 4.7GB before was more than 4.4GB (even if you see physical number of bytes). I am using the same saved project to write the same data on to the same media (I have a DVD-R Cylinder and using the DVD from it just as before). There has to be another explanation other than whether 1KB is 1000 or 1024. If anyone has any good explanation, I would appreciate it much.

Hello Wshareef,

The answer to your confusion lies in what the various operating systems measure capacity with.

A DVD+ single-layered data disc has 2,295,104 sectors, each holding 2048 bytes = 4,700,372,992 bytes. The salesmen among us call that 4.7 GB. You could call that a decimal measurement.

If you're talking in binary measurements, a megabyte MB =1024 x 1024 bytes = 1,048,566 bytes, and a gigabyte GB =1024x1024x1024 bytes.

Under this system of notation, that 4700372992 bytes becomes a tad over 4482 MB, which when divided by 1024 becomes what the scientists among us would call 4.3776 GB or GiB (depending on our country of origin).

Some countries use the names kibibyte (KiB), mebibyte (MiB), gibibyte (GiB) for the binary measurement, but others call the same units kilobyte, megabyte, and gigabyte. You may need to do the math to work out if your operating system is using scientists' or salesmen's notation. It may well be that the "updates" have swapped your OS from one system to the other, but they haven't changed the actual capacity of the disc.

Please have a read of the Wiki explanation for all this mess here (click link).

Archived