WILL ROXIO SURVIVE?

joe doc

Question

I really don't know what to make of this situation. We've all purchased EMC9 from Roxio and for the life of me can't understand how a product, any product can be released to the buying public having so many inherent operational problems. I've read most of the posts on many of the Forums and the problems the users have are not centered on one module. Each module has, at least from my perspective some serious defects. Most software that's released has some glitch but I've never seen anything like this.

Each time I send a request to Tech Support, the response I ALWAYS get is to uninstall and re-install. There is no depth to this type of answer. They don't seem to know how to understand and analyze the issue to come up with a solution that works. The time consumed working through these various problems represents thousands of man hours. Have any of you had to invest so much valuable time tring to get any other product you've purchased to work as advertised. I bet not.

It's pathetic to read how some users "got lucky" that the software installed correctly on their third try. I'm not being critical of these Forums, after all you guys take the brunt of the frustrating experiences of the rest of us and provide us with solutions that help. Why doesn't Roxio do this/ They certainly have to be aware of the types of problems we are all having and yet nothing meaningful is communicated to the customers/users either by email or Tech Support.

I can only conclude that there are no strong competitors out there or this company would be gone in a flash. We shouldn't have to try this, try that and try the other thing to get the product to work much less get it installed in the first place. I'm not going to try to reinstall it again until a workable fix is delivered that solves most of the issues reflected here in these Forums.

21 answers to this question

Rich

No! I am not confused.

I have used Easy CD Creator 5 Platium for a number of years and before that used Adaptec.

The first version I had came OEM with a computer that had Windows 97. I bought ECDC 5 Plat when I bought my next computer that had come with Win 98 and used it for many years.

It wasn't until I bought a computer in 01 ( I think ) that came with Win XP did I start having problems. ECDC 5 would not recognize the Drives. When I tried to install on XP I was given error messages that it would not work with this version of windows, I ignored and installed anyways. I do not remember how I tripped over the ONLY Upgrade for ECDC5 had, but I downloaded it and installed it and ver 5 worked a while longer, until my drives got firmware upgrades etc. or was it when SP2 came out, I do not remember. I then purchased Ver 6 and hated it and gave it away. I only used certain programs in ver 5 until I finally broke down and got ver 7. I then tried to get use to the changes and used it for awhile and updated to 7.5 in hopes it would be better than 7. It wasn't. Never got any patches for either one of them. If you say there was numerous patches for 5, they sure had them as a Best kept Secret. I bought Ver 8 for one daughter and 8.5 for the other daughter. I just bought Ver 9 for myself a bit ago and have posted several problems and to date, none of them have been fixed. They have all been posted on these boards and they still aren't working.

1. The check mark will not stay checked in the label creator for keeping cut lines.

2. The Edge labeling does not duplicate for both sides, as it use to. I have to cut and paste to bring the same title to the other edge.

3. Sound Editor is a nightmare as compared to ver 5.

I have dropped a lot of money with Sonic and Roxio and Adaptec. I have posted Tech Messages and they have stayed posted etc etc.

When these newsgroups appeared, I was right there and joinded as quick as I could, because I know from being on the Microsoft Newsgroups for years and getting very needed answers and support from other users, I knew the discussion boards would be a God Send for the Support Roxio refuses to give.

If you had all of these patches, I sure would like to know how you came about getting them.. My software would NOT do autoupdating and I searched and searched for updates, the only one I ever found was Easy CD Creator 5.x.x Platinum to version 5.3.5 I never found anything prior to this one and since this one other than a patch that was basically the same for ver 7 and 7.5 for mobil whatever, I never got updates for them ether. as far as 8 and 8.5, well my daughters are easy to please and don't require the needs that I have.

I have been waiting for awhile for the ELUSIVE ver 9 update and am begining to feel it will be the $79 ver 10

Rich

No! I am not confused.

I have used Easy CD Creator 5 Platium for a number of years and before that used Adaptec.

The first version I had came OEM with a computer that had Windows 97. I bought ECDC 5 Plat when I bought my next computer that had come with Win 98 and used it for many years.

It wasn't until I bought a computer in 01 ( I think ) that came with Win XP did I start having problems. ECDC 5 would not recognize the Drives. When I tried to install on XP I was given error messages that it would not work with this version of windows, I ignored and installed anyways. I do not remember how I tripped over the ONLY Upgrade for ECDC5 had, but I downloaded it and installed it and ver 5 worked a while longer, until my drives got firmware upgrades etc. or was it when SP2 came out, I do not remember.

<snip>

Well, just to argue the version 5 issue a bit more, version 5.0 was the first version of ECDC 5. It didn't work with XP, and an update to 5.1 was released. That patch nuked Take Two, because it was apparently less than trivial to make it work with XP. 5.2 was another update released to fix some other problems, which I don't recall. I believe 5.3 and 5.3.5 were separate patches as well. And, as Rich mentioned, several updaters for the drive recognition were involved as well. As each update was released, the previous ones were removed because the updaters were cumulative, that is, the 5.3.5 update included everything from 5.2 and 5.1, so that may be why you never saw them.

Prior to ECDC 5, was ECDC 4, and prior to that ECDC 3.5.

ECDC 3.5 was an Adaptec product, as was ECDC 4.0. But I believe around ECDC 4.05 is when Adaptec spun off the software group to create Roxio. ECDC 3.5 was a combination of Easy CD Pro, by InCat, which Adaptec bought, and CD Creator by Corel, also purchased by Adaptec. I came up through the InCat Easy CD line myself.

joe Doc

You have hit the nail on the head. The NEWEST way to protect your bottom line is to get other people to Support your products and solve your problems....HARK! Disccussion Boards were created.

Roxio has no clue what is going on, they just keep ringing up the sales and leave all of the dirty laundry for Customers to solve and they only reward some of these customers with the title MODERATOR.

I hae had zero good experience with Roxio, their Product Support is Non exsistant. Go ask Roxeanne and see where that gets you. Post a Tech Note and see how long it stays unanswered. Try and call Roxio, Hell try and find their number. The ONLY place you will find any answers and that is after you weed your way thru sarcasisms and ego trips, is right here on the User Run Discussion Boards.

Roxio doesn't even know what Negitive Feedback is.

Find the Terms and Conditions of these Boards..... Mods will tell you there are rules, they are as stealth as Roxio Support.

Oh yeah! I forgot to add " what updates and patches?" Do you mean EMC10 for $79 and if you can prove you are a prior owner you will get a $10 discount, do you mean those Updates and Patches. I had ECDC 5 and there was one Patch and then there was ver 6 and then 7 and then 7.5 and then 8 and then 8.5 and now 9.. LOL, patches my a--

I have had problems of one sort or another with every single version. and other than Support here, that is the extent of any support period.

Version 6 I recall having at least two updates that I applied way back when. Those, like the v5 ones, were cumulative so all the earlier ones were included in the one on the updates page.

Version 7 had two updates that I know of, the first one taking it to 7.0.430 and the second to 7.1.1.189 (included DL support as I recall). Again, the 7.1.1.189 included all the stuff in 7.0.430 so they saw no reason to leave both on the updates page.

7.5 came after Sonic purchased Roxio and was released as a new version with additional apps added to the core of 7.1 They had one update that I recall that had something to do with LightScribe, but I think it was only for the help files.

The original 8.0 had only one update that brought it to 8.05. There was/is no 8.5, so I'm guessing that's actually referring to 8.05.

v9 is has been updated to 9.1, but so far it's only available with new purchases, the download to update 9.0 to 9.1 is the one many of us are still anxiously waiting for. They've said they'll post one, and since they have always posted updates when they said they would in the past, I'm going to believe they still will post this one. The only questions is when.

It seems to me that most of the changes in the number of updates has come since Sonic and Roxio merged, so I'm guessing it was a change in management style that caused it. I don't know how sonic used to do things before cuz I didn't really use their software, so I think it's just taking time for them to understand and blend their style with what Roxio's style was before. I think that shows in what happened with v8 and then v9. In v8 they had so many "flavors" of the software, and the cheaper the "flavor" the less functionality it had, that it just caused confusion and unhappy users because they would buy one product thinking it would do what they needed only to find out they need one of the higher end versions to do what they wanted. They seemed to have learned from that mess at least by putting all the functionality of each app into v9 and having a lot less "flavors". Hopefully they'll learn from the v9 update mess and improve that starting with their v10.

How do you know that???

a_t

Look at the total number of registered members on the forum - then ask yourself if that's all the stuff that Roxio and Sonic have sold - and don't forget, the sub-fora cover Roxio back to ECD 5 (and 4 in some cases) as well as Toast and other stuff.

I think they have sold a lot more than 30,000 programs in all the years :P

My daughter's laptop has a Blue Roxio Icon that clearly says 8.5 and not 8.05. I will check the DVD style Package that it came in and see what it says.

Yes! I do remember Take Two being taken away, I never used it, so didn't care.

Yes! I will agree things changed with the merge.

I may have been able to realize one or two more of these Stealth Updates, but the program never had an Auto Update function, that I am aware of. I will always go to the website and search around and find it. I had to sign in, use a long forgotten password and user name and if I did keep it, it would never work from month to month and would try to register my software again and get messages that the Email is registered to another user. Then it would send me a confirmation email with directions to change, that NEVER worked and I would find that ONLY if I clicked the email link would I have limited access to the User Account items. Smile. This is the First version that when I registered, I was able to to continue and get to the discussion boards promptly. I noted that my membership was started back in version 7 or 7.5 was never able to access the boards.

Now I only have a Moderator who feels they should read my posts before posting and edit and delete as this moron sees fit before allowing my posts to be posted.

So Mr Moderator, show me a link to the Board rules and regulations and then explain to me where you think that what you are doing is any more legal than making an Archive Copy.......... LOL

Oh yeah! I forgot to add " what updates and patches?" Do you mean EMC10 for $79 and if you can prove you are a prior owner you will get a $10 discount, do you mean those Updates and Patches. I had ECDC 5 and there was one Patch and then there was ver 6 and then 7 and then 7.5 and then 8 and then 8.5 and now 9.. LOL, patches my a--

I have had problems of one sort or another with every single version. and other than Support here, that is the extent of any support period.

There were numerous patches to version 5, because one was need for each new drive that came out.

How do you know that???

a_t

It doesn't matter how many they sell...What matters is are they relatively trouble free. I'm sure there are a great many people out ther who have purchased the product who have no idea that these Forums exist. The average user is clueless. These Forums represent a microcosim of what's happening in the general population of users. Common sense will tell you that for every user reporting issues here, there are any number out there who don't bother or don't know how.

I don't understand why you keep defending Roxio to this extent. As I said in my previous post, most software has some glitches but this is beyond what is reasonable. And finally, can you name Gloria Gaynor's latest hit? She DIDN"T survive!

If you say there was numerous patches for 5, they sure had them as a Best kept Secret.

Please look here:

http://www.roxio.com/enu/support/ecdc/software_updates.html

There are 4, Platinum 5 patches, sitting at the above link, right now:

1. the updater to version 5.3.5 (which was the final version available as a result of updates all the way back to verison 5.0)

2. driveupdate 5.3.5.10v - with "v" being the primary indicator of how many driveup updates were released.

3. video impressions update

4. photo relay update

The update to bring a "Basic" Version to 5.3.5 is also sitting there.

Being a bit of a packrat - I find I still have various updates sitting on my hard drive folder including version 5.1 and version 5.3.4. And this is just on my laptop - there are more sitting on my home tower hard drive, I expect. To bring a Platinum 5 installation to its final available version level, you had to run the 4 updaters sitting at the link I included above. Version 5 was never certified to run under WinXP/sp2 - and Roxio made it pretty public that they did not support version 5 under WinXP/sp2 - but it worked just fine for many of us, if you did a fresh install of it from scratch after loading up the sp2 update. Drive support was handled via program and/or registry updates back then - which is why so many driveups existed. Later versions of the program suite establish support off the actual firmware in the drive (if it conforms to standards) eliminating the need for drive tables, etc. As big a nightmare as Platinum 5 was for a long time - by the end - at release version 5.3.5 - it ran quite well, with only a few oddities about it that we had developed very effective work-arounds for. Of course it did not have the capabilities or flexibilitiy later versions had - thus opening the doors to new places for bugs, etc. Nor did it support drives released after the "v" driveup updater (although a few of us created a number of bootleg registry entries to provide basic support for newer drives).

I skipped right over Version 6 - never even installed it.

I found Version 7.1 and 7.5 to be very reliable and it took a while before I moved past them.

There is no Roxio EMC 8.5 version that I am aware of. The only update available to EMC 8 brings it to Version 8.05. The wording under my desktop icon for Roxio Version 9 has been shortened so it displays "Roxio EMC9" and fits on 1 line - which I did myself. You should open the program and check the actual version via "Help" - "About" if you want to identify the actually installed version/build. I ran Version 8.05 for a number of months, without huge problems (although I absolutely agree that Label Creator behaves pretty strangely at times). I only recently migrated to Version 9 - and so far it is doing ok for me.

I'm really sorry you are frustrated with your use of the Roxio products and assure you that we all have had our share of issues also at times. Most of us are interested and willing to assist a fellow user in any way we can. Unfortunately we cannot make or force program patches and updates from Roxio/Sonic. Maybe the soon to be released 9.1 updater will address some of the issues you are dealing with. In the meantime, try not to vent your frustration on the participants of these forums. Calling folks names isn't going to accomplish anything positive for you. We're not the enemy - nor the source of your issues.

Most people who have a problem wind up here - why? Simple - google for roxio problems and you get loads of links

I've used a lot of different suites (including some you probably never heard of like k3b) and I never had problems with any Roxio s/w and I go back to ECD3

I'm not saying people don't have problems - sure they do but that covers any s/w. I've an XP 64 that steadfastly refuses to load the RAID drivers - if I try to access the RAID, it BSODs - now that's a problem

However - EMC works just fine on it so go figger

While I in no way would discount frustration (which I've experienced with other software), I just wanted to add that EMC has worked as advertised for me (on XP). I downloaded trial versions of several comparable products and found EMC worked best for my needs (VideoWave productions to send to family and friends on the Internet and DVDs to send them in the mail). I found these forums googling for EMC tutorials and found plenty of great help from the gurus (not the least of which is sknis' video tutorials, which really got me up to speed very quickly).

Anyway, I just wanted say that for me, EMC has worked as expected, and then some :)

While I in no way would discount frustration (which I've experienced with other software), I just wanted to add that EMC has worked as advertised for me (on XP). I downloaded trial versions of several comparable products and found EMC worked best for my needs (VideoWave productions to send to family and friends on the Internet and DVDs to send them in the mail). I found these forums googling for EMC tutorials and found plenty of great help from the gurus (not the least of which is sknis' video tutorials, which really got me up to speed very quickly).

Anyway, I just wanted say that for me, EMC has worked as expected, and then some :)

Aww... geez, now we need a few hundred more dissatisfied users to come balance out your one, "I'm happy" post. B)

Thanks for being the exception!

It's pathetic to read how some users "got lucky" that the software installed correctly on their third try.

I got it!!!!

All they (Roxio) have to do is mod the install routine so it installs three times and the user thinks it installed once.

Problem solved.. Then we would need no updates or patches. :lol:

Don't be too positive. That'll get your post deleted! :lol:

EMC also worked great for me when I was running XP. After changing to Vista, life with EMC became unbearable. Spend hundreds of manhours trying to get everything to work. Thru the Better Business Bureau, got Roxio to send me links to 9.1 version. This version worked completely with a fresh install of Vista, but was broken by the installation of many programs. I moved on to another package for Video Work. I have been with EMC since the Adaptec days, and love it. On the transaction from Win98 to XP, EMC had some serious pains, but updates (Attempted fixes) were available. That is not the case with Roxio and Vista. Because when working, I believe there is no better consumer product for Video then EMC, I will try to return to EMC around SP1 for Version 10.

I 'm sure somebody had no problem using EMC 9, may be something has been tested...

Anyway the amount of problems and disappointed users I see in the forum is really huge.

I came to version 9 because I was really really satisfied with RecordNow (that was standard on my IBM machines, never had a problem with it) and quite satisfied with version 7 that came with my Lacie DVD.

I don't use so many products on my machines, I use them for my job, but the amount of problems and limitations I had with EMC 9 has no comparison with other programs.

It's really the worst quality package I installed.

I hope the updates will solve many of the issues and limitations, otherwise I'm over with Roxio.

I also hope there'll be as many updates are necessary to make the product stable, and not jumping soon to version 10 (that should be payed).

While I share your frustration over some of the problems which seem to show up in Roxio software products, I would debate your comments about Version 5 of ECDC. There were numerous patches and releases made to the basic suite of that software. Plus 2 additional patches for 2 of the separate programs in the suite - plus numerous drive-up registry patches to add support for newer drives (something that is not necessary at all in the later versions). And those of us who worked the forums during that time spent a great number of hours developing work-arounds for the problems in that package. You may have been confused by the fact that the patches were cumulative - so if you came in towards the end - you probably only saw the last patch which included everything that needed fixing.

I am currently running the Version 9 suite just fine on my primary tower and laptop systems. I had a few install issues, but I am confident these were the result of the testing I was doing at the time with various versions and updaters against those installs. I find the best way to get a clean install of a Roxio product on my system is to always first go through the complete set of steps to remove all traces of that version of Roxio software from my system. Whenever I do that properly, EMC9 seems to install just fine. That surely isn't a cure-all for everyone - but it is what seems to work for me.

It is true that the current trend in the software industry is to offer new versions of their products fairly regularly, rather than upgrading products for free on a long-term basis via free updates. I imagine it is the only way to maintain some sort of revenue stream into the companies ionvolved. Roxio is just one of many in that regard.

And I assure you that most of us long-term members of the forums are in here to learn and assist as best we can. We come free also - and sometimes you get what you pay for from us also. We only have our personal experiences and what we've learned from others to offer. We're not the developers - although we sometimes do have the opportunity to do a bit of testing.

Archived