Music DVD importing music from iTunes

sp_ceboy

Question

I use Toast Titanium 7.1.2 and mac os 10.4.10

I have been trying for days to burn a Music DVD by pulling music in from iTunes. Everything goes perfectly. I can import all the music files in with album artwork. Then I go to burn and all looks good until it is about halfway done. Then it just crashes. I have a MacMini duo core w/ 1gig of ram. I have tried it with my internal dvd burner and my lacie external. Can someone give me some help? I also tried making a dvd video the same way and it crashes as well. The files in iTunes are Kind: MPEG audio file and Format: MPEG 1, Layer 3

Many thanks.

John

3 answers to this question

The problem likely is file specific. I've had Toast crash when trying to make a music DVD from certain mp3 files. I was able to see which file was the culprit by looking inside the Roxio Converted Items folder. The one after the last one written in the folder was the problem. In iTunes I converted the problem MP3 to AIFF and replaced the one in Toast with the AIFF version. All worked until the next flawed mp3 file. Eventually I got through the whole thing. Each time I chose Save as Disc Image.

"I was able to see which file was the culprit by looking inside the Roxio Converted Items folder. The one after the last one written in the folder was the problem."

I am not sure what the statement in quotes above means. I don't see any differences with the files in the Roxio converted items folder. I also don't know what "the one after the last one written in the folder was the problem" means?

Can you explain what you mean?

Many thanks

John

Can you explain what you mean?

Many thanks

John

Each of the mp3 files gets re-encoded by Toast to either Dolby Digital (AC3) or PCM (AIFF) depending on which option you chose in Toast. Each of those newly encoded audio files is written within the Roxio Converted Items folder (which by default is in your Documents folder). If you look inside the folder in list view and sort by Date Modified you can see which was the last file written before Toast crashed. The file names can be long so be sure to widen the view to show the entire file name.

When you look at your mp3s in the Toast window showing your music DVD layout you'll know that Toast crashed when trying to encode the mp3 that is next in order after the last one in the converted items folder. That mp3 file has a flaw. You could just remove that mp3. If you want to keep that song you'll need to use iTunes to convert the mp3 to AIFF or Apple Lossless and then swap the mp3 version for the new version in the music DVD layout. If the flaw is significant it may be audible even after converting to AIFF. I've had mp3s that are so damaged they start out playing one song and end up playing a different song in the same file. I don't know how this happens.

I once had many mp3s that had problems so I just converted them all to Apple Lossless before making my music DVD.

By the way, Toast's default preference is to automatically empty the converted items folder when you quit Toast. However, it doesn't get emptied if Toast crashes. I change the preferences so the folder is only emptied when I choose to empty it.

The problem likely is file specific. I've had Toast crash when trying to make a music DVD from certain mp3 files. I was able to see which file was the culprit by looking inside the Roxio Converted Items folder. The one after the last one written in the folder was the problem. In iTunes I converted the problem MP3 to AIFF and replaced the one in Toast with the AIFF version. All worked until the next flawed mp3 file. Eventually I got through the whole thing. Each time I chose Save as Disc Image.

Archived