Also can't copy DVD

Shubes

Question

What happens if you make a Data DVD, does that burn and close okay? Just trying to establish a baseline for your DVD writer.

I'm having the same problem with EMC 7 (build 7.1.189). It happens when I try to burn a non-encrypted DVD file from my hard drive onto either DVD+ or DVD- media, and it makes no difference whether it's a premium disc (Maxell) or a generic disc from Fry's electronics.

Get to the closing seconds, EMC says the disc wrote successfully, but then behind all the windows is that nagging little devil: "There was a problem creating a file."

I have also run into the same problem while trying to write standard data discs, except the data disc will get about 75% of the way through the process before deciding to shut down.

I am using EMC 7 on a Toshiba Satellite laptop with WinXP-SP2 installed. It came with a Pioneer DVR-K17 DVD writer, but I can't find any information on that particular drive, much less firmware for it. Have checked Toshiba's site as well as Pioneer, driverguide.com, etc. No luck.

Hoping someone will come up with a solution for this problem, as I am really getting weary of burning coasters.

Thanks.

I'm having the same problem with EMC 7 (build 7.1.189). It happens when I try to burn a non-encrypted DVD file from my hard drive onto either DVD+ or DVD- media, and it makes no difference whether it's a premium disc (Maxell) or a generic disc from Fry's electronics.

Get to the closing seconds, EMC says the disc wrote successfully, but then behind all the windows is that nagging little devil: "There was a problem creating a file."

I have also run into the same problem while trying to write standard data discs, except the data disc will get about 75% of the way through the process before deciding to shut down.

I am using EMC 7 on a Toshiba Satellite laptop with WinXP-SP2 installed. It came with a Pioneer DVR-K17 DVD writer, but I can't find any information on that particular drive, much less firmware for it. Have checked Toshiba's site as well as Pioneer, driverguide.com, etc. No luck.

Hoping someone will come up with a solution for this problem, as I am really getting weary of burning coasters.

Thanks.

I don't consider Maxel a "premium" disc, they are no better then your "generic" discs from Frys.

I sometimes get the same error (bolded text above) when I use a generic disc from Staples or such . When I switch to a higher quality disc (Verbatim or Sony) the same project burns without problems right after the previous failure. I also make it a point to never burn at a higher speed then half the maximum.

Well, I thought we had solved it.

I followed the steps to uninstall/reinstall the Secondary IDE controller, thus allowing Windows to re-enable DMA for the DVD writer. It worked like a charm, or so I thought. I burned 5 discs right in a row without a hitch, including a data backup disc as well as burning video files onto a disc.

This morning, however, while burning my second disc, it happened again:

Disc gets 100%, says "Writing completed successfully" and spits the disc out, except lurking behind the screen was this little devil...again:

transcode.jpg

Thought to myself, "Well, one out of seven ain't bad..." So I popped another disc in, and the same thing happened. It gets all the way to the finish line, then stumbles, even though, from all appearances, the disc wrote successfully.

I've Googled the error message but can't seem to find a whole lot on it, so I'm hoping someone can help me here again. Is it possible that the DMA is resetting itself, or being corrupted somehow? Or is this a totally different monster?

Thanks again for the help; it seems to at least be moving me in the right direction. Here's hoping I can finally get this resolved..

It worked like a charm, or so I thought. I burned 5 discs right in a row without a hitch, including a data backup disc as well as burning video files onto a disc.

Check your DMA settings on the secondary IDE controller, your probably back in PIO mode. You have a problem, the disc's are junk or your pc can't feed data at the speed your burning at! Slow down the burn speed and enable DMA again.

cd

Are you defragging the Hard Drive between discs?

Lynn

You've gotta be kidding me, right? :blink:

Defrag a 250G hard drive between each disc that I burn?! If that's the case, then I might as well throw this thing in the garbage and go back to my trusty old desktop system that burned discs without the slightest hiccup... :(

Okay, I went back and looked (yet again) at the properties, and this is what it's telling me...

properties.jpg

Is there something I should change in these settings? It looks like they are configured properly, but I noticed on another thread that someone else seemed to have some problems with their DMA settings "staying put".

Also, this error has occured with Fujifilm DVD-R, Sony DVD-R, Memorex DVD+R, Memorex DVD-R, as well as the generic GQ (Fry's brand) DVD+R.

I apologize for the screenshots, but I know of no better way to show what's going on....

That looks like the BIOS settings aren't set for DMA. On mine it shows 'UltraDMA5' in the transfer mode.

From that screen shot it's saying that DMA isn't available

btw - in regard to defragging the drive - it's always a good idea, especially on a large drive, to do it regularly. What happens is that as stuff is erased and re-written, the drive fragments very badly and needs tweaked. Once a week is the minimum for defragmenting.

If it's kept reasonably 'clean' and unfragmented, it doesn't take long to run it again as most files will be contiguous anyway

If it's not done - the drive heads will be skipping round like a cat on a bed of hot coals - getting one cluster here, another cluster somewhere else and so on - the result can be anything from jerkiness to poor audio sync on the final burn

That looks like the BIOS settings aren't set for DMA. On mine it shows 'UltraDMA5' in the transfer mode.

From that screen shot it's saying that DMA isn't available

btw - in regard to defragging the drive - it's always a good idea, especially on a large drive, to do it regularly. What happens is that as stuff is erased and re-written, the drive fragments very badly and needs tweaked. Once a week is the minimum for defragmenting.

If it's kept reasonably 'clean' and unfragmented, it doesn't take long to run it again as most files will be contiguous anyway

If it's not done - the drive heads will be skipping round like a cat on a bed of hot coals - getting one cluster here, another cluster somewhere else and so on - the result can be anything from jerkiness to poor audio sync on the final burn

Thanks for the info; I probably should defrag the drive more often than I do, but I was unaware of how it affected th drive heads. (Makes sense though..)

In regards to the BIOS settings, I guess I can check that. It does appear, however, that lowering the burn speed to 4x made a huge difference. I just burned four in a row without a hitch; I would rather slow the burn speed down and get a good disc than to keep burning coasters at 16x. :blink:

I really do appreciate the input and the patience everyone has displayed with me. The info has been good, and it appears that my problem may be resolved.

Thanks to all who have contributed.

I don't consider Maxel a "premium" disc, they are no better then your "generic" discs from Frys.

I sometimes get the same error (bolded text above) when I use a generic disc from Staples or such . When I switch to a higher quality disc (Verbatim or Sony) the same project burns without problems right after the previous failure. I also make it a point to never burn at a higher speed then half the maximum.

Thanks for the input. I actually went looking for Verbatim but couldn't find any, and wasn't sure Sony would be considered any better quality than Maxell, so I purchased some Fujufilm discs this afternoon; hope they're "top of the line" as the sales guy put it. I wouldn't have considered them as such, but then...I thought Maxell was, so what do I know? :huh:

Anyhoo, I do appreciate the tip. Will post back later with results.

Thanks again. B)

PS: This is my first laptop ever; is it true that the writers on these things are more "finicky" about writing than the standard writers on desktop PCs?

Okay, well, it's 6:00 AM and I'm sitting here going through all the coasters that I've burned so far, just to see if I can find any usable data on any of them.

My next question is probably a rookie question, but here goes:

In looking at the Disc Info, I notice that all of these trashed discs are either multi-session, or have multiple tracks (one of the discs had 16 tracks, most have 2 or 3). Why/How is this happenening, if I am specifically telling it to use "Track-At-Once" and that it is not a multi-session disc? Does this (hopefully) reveal to you gurus and wizards something that I may be doing wrong, or possibly some configuration setting that I need to change?

I will try with Sony DVDs today; if that does not work, I will do a "Restory to factory settings" using the Toshiba Disc, and see if this burner works under Vista (after creating a Norton Ghost disc image first, of course!)

Thanks again for any help you can offer.

PS: I burned a CD yesterday with nary a hitch. The problem seems to be only with DVDs.

Most of us do tend to stick to 4x max for video work - while the drives and discs may be rated at 16x, it always seems to go belly up when you do that - even if they burn successfully, the players tend to spit them out as 'unreadable'

The only problem I've come across in laptops is that, in some cases, the graphics just aren't up to the job of encoding video. That and the standard 512 MB (but that's easily fixed - the graphics aren't)

Generally the optical drives are just slimline versions of the same one that you get in a desktop machine

Thanks.

Okay, well, it's 6:00 AM and I'm sitting here going through all the coasters that I've burned so far, just to see if I can find any usable data on any of them.

My next question is probably a rookie question, but here goes:

In looking at the Disc Info, I notice that all of these trashed discs are either multi-session, or have multiple tracks (one of the discs had 16 tracks, most have 2 or 3). Why/How is this happenening, if I am specifically telling it to use "Track-At-Once" and that it is not a multi-session disc? Does this (hopefully) reveal to you gurus and wizards something that I may be doing wrong, or possibly some configuration setting that I need to change?

I will try with Sony DVDs today; if that does not work, I will do a "Restory to factory settings" using the Toshiba Disc, and see if this burner works under Vista (after creating a Norton Ghost disc image first, of course!)

Thanks again for any help you can offer.

PS: I burned a CD yesterday with nary a hitch. The problem seems to be only with DVDs.

The description of what is showing on the discs almost sounds like you are burning some sort of data discs.

In your first post, you say you have a "DVD file" on your hard drive. Is that an image file of a DVD? Something like <filename>.iso ?

What program in the suite are you trying to use to burn this "DVD File" to the discs?

The description of what is showing on the discs almost sounds like you are burning some sort of data discs.

In your first post, you say you have a "DVD file" on your hard drive. Is that an image file of a DVD? Something like <filename>.iso ?

What program in the suite are you trying to use to burn this "DVD File" to the discs?

My bad...

In the first post, I should have said I have a non-encrypted video file on my hard drive, not "DVD file". Sorry about that. (Basically it's just a ripped DVD that I'm trying to create a backup of.)

Regarding the second post, I should have mentioned that the pile of "trashed discs" include attempts at both burning video files onto DVD as well as just trying to burn a simple data disc (backing up documents and files, etc). I have had limited success (but yes, on occasion) with either mode. However, both types of discs show up as "multi-session" and having multiple "tracks". Usually one track (or session) is quite small, and the other will show anywhere from 2G to the full 4G capacity. Yet, nothing is readable when you attempt to recover any data from them.

Sorry about the mistake, but maybe this will help clarify the problem I'm having.

Disc gets 100%, says "Writing completed successfully" and spits the disc out, except lurking behind the screen was this little devil...again:

Or is this a totally different monster?

Thanks again for the help; it seems to at least be moving me in the right direction. Here's hoping I can finally get this resolved..

Have you tried restarting your computer when this problem happens? I have one burner that is very 'temperamental' and clearing the RAM by restarting the computer usually solves the problem of unsuccessful burns.

Thanks for the input. I actually went looking for Verbatim but couldn't find any, and wasn't sure Sony would be considered any better quality than Maxell, so I purchased some Fujufilm discs this afternoon; hope they're "top of the line" as the sales guy put it. I wouldn't have considered them as such, but then...I thought Maxell was, so what do I know? :huh:

Anyhoo, I do appreciate the tip. Will post back later with results.

Later.

Results = Same thing. :angry:

I will try with Sony DVDs (since that seems to be considered top-notch, and no one has confirmed or denied whether Fujufilm discs are any good) tomorrow. Maybe.

This laptop came with Windows Vista installed, but I wiped the drive and rolled back to XP-Pro/SP2. I can't find a firmware update; can't even find this particular drive listed on the Pioneer site! (Pioneer DVR-K17) and have had absolutely NO LUCK finding a driver update for it yet. I wish I could rule that out (firmware) before I throw away money on more discs, but until...

My only other option at this time is to do a System Restore to Windows Vista and see if that solves the problem. If not, then I guess I'm up the creek without a laptop until Toshiba fixes this one. :(

Will keep you posted, if for no other reason, so anyone else that comes across this problem may have somewhere to look for a solution.

Thanks to all for the feedback thus far. Please keep the tips and suggestions coming. I'm scratching my head over this one.... ;)

Have you tried restarting your computer when this problem happens? I have one burner that is very 'temperamental' and clearing the RAM by restarting the computer usually solves the problem of unsuccessful burns.

I don't think that is the drive, the software seems to have a lock on it after using that application and a reboot clears it..

gi7omy Posted Today, 01:29 PM

Most of us do tend to stick to 4x max for video work - while the drives and discs may be rated at 16x, it always seems to go belly up when you do that - even if they burn successfully, the players tend to spit them out as 'unreadable'

The op is trying to burn too fast, for his setup and system.

Sorry, I haven't burned DVD video at 4X since my Sony DRU 500AX, 2003 model I think.

Good media, a clean system, and a decent burner. I have no problem burning at 8 to 16X speeds,

off a SATA Raid Stripe Array, and my DVD settop players have no problem playing the disc's and no errors!

cd

(Basically it's just a ripped DVD that I'm trying to create a backup of.)

Commercial bought DVD movies put out by studios have copy protection. Roxio and Sonic are located in the US and Canada and it is illegal here and not discussed on this board. A search on the net will find forums that do.

You need to explain the steps your using and in what program of the suite, that your having trouble with burning the data disc. The data disc sounds like your doing a multi-session in creator classic.

cd

My bad...

In the first post, I should have said I have a non-encrypted video file on my hard drive, not "DVD file". Sorry about that. (Basically it's just a ripped DVD that I'm trying to create a backup of.)

Regarding the second post, I should have mentioned that the pile of "trashed discs" include attempts at both burning video files onto DVD as well as just trying to burn a simple data disc (backing up documents and files, etc). I have had limited success (but yes, on occasion) with either mode. However, both types of discs show up as "multi-session" and having multiple "tracks". Usually one track (or session) is quite small, and the other will show anywhere from 2G to the full 4G capacity. Yet, nothing is readable when you attempt to recover any data from them.

Sorry about the mistake, but maybe this will help clarify the problem I'm having.

You still have not told us what type of "video file" you have on your hard drive that you are trying to burn, or which of the many burning apps and the steps you've tried to burn it to a disc with.

If all you are trying to do is make a copy of a non-encrypted dvd disc, then you should just be using the Disc Copier app for that.

If the original dvd disc is a copy protected one, then this topic will need to come to a close as breaking copy protection is a subject that's not allowed to be discussed on this forum.

I don't think that is the drive, the software seems to have a lock on it after using that application and a reboot clears it..

The op is trying to burn too fast, for his setup and system.

Sorry, I haven't burned DVD video at 4X since my Sony DRU 500AX, 2003 model I think.

Good media, a clean system, and a decent burner. I have no problem burning at 8 to 16X speeds,

off a SATA Raid Stripe Array, and my DVD settop players have no problem playing the disc's and no errors!

cd

I have a tendency to agree with cdanteek on his philosophy. I went from a 2.4GHz Intel processor with 1G of RAM (desktop system) "down" to a Core2Duo 1.66GHz with 2G of RAM. One would think it would be as fast (or faster) but so far it doesn't seem to be as speedy as the old desktop system.

Re-installing the Secondary IDE Channel, and allowing Windows to reset the DMA settings, along with slowing the burn speeds down to 4x seems to have resolved the issue, so I'm thinking that, as was stated, the software was burning (or attempting to) burn faster than the system could keep up with.

I would rather slow down and burn good discs at 4x than continue burning coasters at 16x speeds.

Commercial bought DVD movies put out by studios have copy protection. Roxio and Sonic are located in the US and Canada and it is illegal here and not discussed on this board. A search on the net will find forums that do.

You need to explain the steps your using and in what program of the suite, that your having trouble with burning the data disc. The data disc sounds like your doing a multi-session in creator classic.

cd

If I was doing something illegal, a board like this would be the last place I would discuss it.

I may not know the solution to the problem with my DVD burner, but give me some credit for not being stupid enough to come to a Roxio public forum and ask, "How do I burn illegal copies of movies?" Sheesh.... :rolleyes:

"The data disc sounds like your [sic] doing a multisession in creator classic." If you read the entire thread, you will notice that in one of my posts, I plainly stated, "Why/How is this happenening, if I am specifically telling it to use 'Track-At-Once' and that it is not a multi-session disc?" If I were burning multi-session discs, I would understand the disc details showing it as such.

However, both types of discs show up as "multi-session" and having multiple "tracks".

You still have not told us what type of "video file" you have on your hard drive that you are trying to burn, or which of the many burning apps and the steps you've tried to burn it to a disc with.

Track-at-Once

A method of writing data to CD-R or CD-RW media. In Track-at-Once recording, all of the data on a disc is recorded one track at a time. This method allows the user to pause a recording session and to add tracks in different sessions. Discs recorded using Track-at-Once include a Table of Contents.

Optical disc recording modes..Disc-At-Once, Track-At-Once, and Session-At-Once.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optical_disc_recording_modes

cd

Archived