• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 15 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

How Do I Burn Dvd Data Discs?

fredklatz

Question

I would like to archive data to DVDs with Toast 6. Specifically flac files. I have attempted make both a mac only & mac & pc readable discs. They both burned & verified automatically after burning but my G5 ejected both discs when I attempted to read them later. I cannot find any info on burning data DVDs as opposed to video DVDs. Any help would be appreciated!

6 answers to this question

I can't think of any reason that didn't work. You can burn data DVDs in those formats. What type of media did you use: DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW or DVD+RW? Is it possible your Mac's drive doesn't read the type of media you burned?

Hi Tsantee,

Thanks for answering my plea. I am using DVD-Rs. I do not get it. I haved burned hundreds of DVDs from VIDEO_TS folders with nary a failure. Maybe twice.

This is the procedure I used: Opened Data window, chose Mac & PC from both "Basic & Advanced" clicked New Folder, named it, then dragged numerous folders containing Flac or SHN & text files to the folder, I hit burn. It burned & verification completed successfully. Am I missing something?

As I said after ejecting & reinserting the DVD my Mac would not read the disc but simply ejected it. Arrgh.

Help.

I forgot to mention I am using OS X v.10.3.9 on a dual 1.8 G5 with plenty of RAM, if that matters in the way of any known issues. Thanks.

You did everything correct and I can't think of a reason the disc isn't being recognized. Have you tried it in a different computer? Is your drive having any problems recognizing any other burned discs?

One thing that can cause this is fingerprints or some other surface problem in the area that keeps the laser from reading the directory info.

You did everything correct and I can't think of a reason the disc isn't being recognized. Have you tried it in a different computer? Is your drive having any problems recognizing any other burned discs?

One thing that can cause this is fingerprints or some other surface problem in the area that keeps the laser from reading the directory info.

Thanks again for your response. I am fairly meticulous with the handling of media so I'll rule out that possibility.

Hmm, took your suggestion & just tried to play a number of burned video DVD-Rs on the computer & it ejects them all! But it accepts & reads burned CDRs. What is up with that? So this seems to be the issue. The super drive is rejecting all burned DVD media. It will read a commercially pressed DVD & any CD & CDRs I load in but not DVD-Rs that were burned by it (though they play just fine on my stand alone player.) Crud.

I just checked the 2 data DVDs in my wife's mac. They were recognized just fine.

Well thanks for helping me narrow this down. Any suggestions on what to do now that I know Toast is working fine? I don't know if this is in your area of expertise but is it possible to trash the super drive's software & reload it? Might this work? Could it be something wrong with the Super drive physically? Seems doubtful. Any opinion on the matter would be appreciated. Thanks much.

Sorry, the only suggestion I have is to shut down the Mac and wait a few minutes before restarting. Sometimes there are drive issues that get fixed doing that, but I'm not confident this is one of those issues. You might check the forum for you your Mac as discussions.apple.com. A lot of users have problems with Superdrives.

Sorry, the only suggestion I have is to shut down the Mac and wait a few minutes before restarting. Sometimes there are drive issues that get fixed doing that, but I'm not confident this is one of those issues. You might check the forum for you your Mac as discussions.apple.com. A lot of users have problems with Superdrives.

Thanks for all of your input. I just finished doing an hour long hardware test & everything passed on that. I will check with Apple & the mac forums. It may all be resolved with a clean OS install but I will wait to see what others say before going that far.

I did not know that there were lots of problems with Superdrives. If so I have joined their ranks. I just may shell out $100.00 tomorrow & buy an external DVD burner and then continue my struggles with the Superdrive.

Once again thanks for your assistance. I really appreciate it!

Fred

Archived