can't open avi file in VideoWave 7

Karensw

Question

Hello everyone,

I recently created a video production in VideoWave 7 and then successfully rendered it as an AVI file with the DivX 5.1.1 codec. The AVI plays fine in Windows Media Player (I have rolled back to vs. 10 as one possible solution). But when I try to view it in VideoWave, it appears with a x'd circle around it and is unusable.

I installed the Video Inspector (as per another suggestion) and the codec says "DivX 4/5/6" and is installed. When I click the FourCC changer it said: Stream Header DIVX; Stream Format DX50. I tried changing the Stream Format to DIVX but this did not help.

I have installed the Prefup patch.

I have rolled back Internet Explorer to 6.0

I have installed AVICodecPackPlus21

I have tried the solution found here: http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=8841

None of these things work!

I'm getting desparate! Any other suggestions?

Thanks so much for any help you can give.

10 answers to this question

What are you going to do with your DivX files? Simply burn them to a DVD or do you want to eventually create video DVD?

I admit I'm a bit of a newbie on this, but yes they were originally captured in DV AVI format. I just have so much video I'm working with that it took up most of the remainder of my HD space. I eventually want to be able to view them on my DVD player (as well as my computer). The finished videos will be about 45 to 50 minutes in length (I will be making about 4 or 5 different videos at that size).

So you suggest I just edit directly from the DV AVIs? What format should the final rendering be in?

Thanks again for your help!

I admit I'm a bit of a newbie on this, but yes they were originally captured in DV AVI format. I just have so much video I'm working with that it took up most of the remainder of my HD space. I eventually want to be able to view them on my DVD player (as well as my computer). The finished videos will be about 45 to 50 minutes in length (I will be making about 4 or 5 different videos at that size).

So you suggest I just edit directly from the DV AVIs? What format should the final rendering be in?

Thanks again for your help!

Yes, I would edit directly from the DV avis. Unfortunately the DV avis do take up a huge amount of disk space. In fact video work in general will gobble the real estate quickly. That is why a big hard drive (250GB or more) is a good investment.

Once you you have created to Videowave project you should save it as a dmsm file. This file not not an actual video file but only a list of all the source file in your project as well as the editing to be applied to your project. At this point you can Output your production to a video file. Since you want to later create a DVD your could select mpeg2, best quality as the output format since that is what DVD Builder would eventually create anyway.. Another option is to shut down Videowave and launch DVD Builder where you can add the dmsm file using the Add New Title task button or you can add the previously created mpeg2 file.

I hope this is not too confusing. Don't hesitate to come back and ask questions, that is what this forum is all about.

One slight change to what Walt said.....

You don't have to shut down VideoWave. Just click on the DVD icon and that will automatically open DVD Builder and put your production on a DVD Builder menu.

One slight change to what Walt said.....

You don't have to shut down VideoWave. Just click on the DVD icon and that will automatically open DVD Builder and put your production on a DVD Builder menu.

Thanks, I will try it today. I tried burning the unusable AVI in DivX-to-DVD Creator and something interesting showed up. Look at the first few lines...

divx.gif

Could that have anything to do with it?

Also, one other question: Sometimes when I first open a previously saved production, the "Add to current production collection" icon is either grayed out or not even present. If I drop down and view another collection, then drop down and reopen the first collection it sometimes reappears. Any reason for this?

Hello everyone,

I recently created a video production in VideoWave 7 and then successfully rendered it as an AVI file with the DivX 5.1.1 codec. The AVI plays fine in Windows Media Player (I have rolled back to vs. 10 as one possible solution). But when I try to view it in VideoWave, it appears with a x'd circle around it and is unusable.

I installed the Video Inspector (as per another suggestion) and the codec says "DivX 4/5/6" and is installed. When I click the FourCC changer it said: Stream Header DIVX; Stream Format DX50. I tried changing the Stream Format to DIVX but this did not help.

I have installed the Prefup patch.

I have rolled back Internet Explorer to 6.0

I have installed AVICodecPackPlus21

I have tried the solution found here: http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=8841

None of these things work!

I'm getting desparate! Any other suggestions?

Thanks so much for any help you can give.

I have just duplicated your problem and I am using EMC 7.5. Seems weird that Vieowave can create the file then not recognize it

What do you want to do with the new avi file? Could you output to DV avi and use that file? I know it will be much larger but at least it should work

I have just duplicated your problem and I am using EMC 7.5

What do you want to do with the new avi file? Could you output to DV avi and use that file? I know it will be much larger but at least it should work

It seems crazy that VideoWave can not read the file that it created!

Here's the situation:

I captured video from a VHS onto my computer using winDV. The captured file was split into 4 large files, totaling about 10 gigs. I wanted just one large file to edit with (I will be cropping it and mixing it with other captured video segments). File size is important, but so is quality. The current AVI file I rendered is about 750MB (much better than 10GB!)

But I went to use my new file in VideoWave and it is unusable... and I can't figure out why that would be so.

I have forgotten but does that route leave VW open, or launching DVDBuilder automatically close VW?

It automatically closes VideoWave.

From the last posting, it appears that the user is using another version than EMC 7 and is in the wrong forum. :(

It seems crazy that VideoWave can not read the file that it created!

Here's the situation:

I captured video from a VHS onto my computer using winDV. The captured file was split into 4 large files, totaling about 10 gigs. I wanted just one large file to edit with (I will be cropping it and mixing it with other captured video segments). File size is important, but so is quality. The current AVI file I rendered is about 750MB (much better than 10GB!)

But I went to use my new file in VideoWave and it is unusable... and I can't figure out why that would be so.

I assume that you originally captured to DV avi format since you created fairly large files. Actually I always capture to DV avi since that keeps the best quality and much easier to edit but I capture in 10-15 minute segments. What are you going to do with your DivX files? Simply burn them to a DVD or do you want to eventually create video DVD? The DivX avi files are heavily compressed and have to be uncompressed anyway for Videowave to work with them and that will slow down any editing.

When working with video files and you want to create a video DVD, forget about file sizes. A standard 4.7GB DVD will only hold about 60 minutes of best quality video. Anything more and the video has to be compressed with a resulting loss of quality.

Archived