• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 19 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Importing show from my direct TV DVR

dodgecrib

Question

I have a direct tv dvr and I want to burn some fo the shows to dvd. I can run about 15' of rca jacks from the dvr output to the front of my HP input jacks. How do I capture the show, what program in EMC9 should I use and how does it sense the singnal. Does the computer or EMC9 automatically detect the singnal when it's plugged in?

Thanks, BILL

3 answers to this question

YOu have two options: digital capture or analog capture. Teh way you have it connected now is analog. Since your HP has video inputs, I'll assume it is a Media Center PC with a TV card/video capture (like a Hauppauge card). EMC 9 Media Import has no problem capturing from these cards. It works fine on my HP Media Center. You may have to update drivers and/or DirectX 9 to get it to work. Some users need to and some don't.

One other option that may give you better quality is digital transfer, but the cord would be much shorter. I did some experimenting on a friends Comcast digital DVR. I had to dig on the internet to get Windows drivers, but I did find them. I was able to transfer video LIVE only though, but no loss of quality. I was then able to use the digitally captured files directly in Videowave/MyDVD with no problems. Something similar may work with your DirecTV DVR. My sister has a DirecTV DVR so I might have to play around with that, too.

YOu have two options: digital capture or analog capture. Teh way you have it connected now is analog. Since your HP has video inputs, I'll assume it is a Media Center PC with a TV card/video capture (like a Hauppauge card). EMC 9 Media Import has no problem capturing from these cards. It works fine on my HP Media Center. You may have to update drivers and/or DirectX 9 to get it to work. Some users need to and some don't.

One other option that may give you better quality is digital transfer, but the cord would be much shorter. I did some experimenting on a friends Comcast digital DVR. I had to dig on the internet to get Windows drivers, but I did find them. I was able to transfer video LIVE only though, but no loss of quality. I was then able to use the digitally captured files directly in Videowave/MyDVD with no problems. Something similar may work with your DirecTV DVR. My sister has a DirecTV DVR so I might have to play around with that, too.

Ok , Id like to use something higher quality like HDMI cable wich my HP media center comp. has in the back but there is no way I'm buying a 20' HDMI cord! I can hook up my computer to the satelite box somehow. the media center is capable of that but Im not sure I want to permantly connect it. Im not sure if Im going to use an antenna to connect either. I just got this sytem and am figuring everything out.It does have the ability record broadcasted TV.

BILL

More than likely the HDMI connection is OUT only from the PC plus I've never heard of capturing from that. I was talking about firewire. Every DVR that I've seen has firewire, but not all of them are activated. You would have to search the internet for the DirecTV DVR to see how or if others have done that.

The easiest/cheapest way is how you started by recording analog. Quality should be 'ok' and you should be able to use Media Import 9.

Archived