• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 19 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Data Formats

zy1o9m5@yahoo.com

Question

I have just experienced a problem that is just crazy. I've captured 7 vhs tapes and want to burn them to

a dvd. I have already done this about 6 times. Now the problem, my inputted data are in wmv format but when the inported into dvd creator program they are in avi format and the size of file has changed from 833MB to 3.8GB. This just started about 4-5 days ago. have not downloaded any patches, etc from roxio, and I'a at a loss. thanks

7 answers to this question

Reply to James reply, Thanks but sorry, size means everything. First, add 1 more file to dvd burn and you exceed size of the dvd (4.7)GB. and dvd burn will not burn dvd.(lot of dvd's there). Second the file clip is 53 minutes. This is the approximate size from many estimation tables for approximately 53-54 min when captured in avi format, remember, it was not captured in avi and if size exceeds physical limits of 4.78 burned will not burn.

Thanks for the reply, still at a loss as to what changed in my system, or what did i change by mistake,

my inputted data are in wmv format

These files MUST BE converted before they can used on a DVD. The Windows Media file are usually much more compressed so the final MPEG2 would indeed be much larger than the original .WMV file.

if size exceeds physical limits of 4.78 burned will not burn.

True, but you can change the project's bitrate to compress the file(s) more. MyDVD defaults to 'fit to disc' so adding more than 53min may not cause you to get the disc full message.

When we mean 'size does not matter', that refers to length of video and bitrate. 4.7 gig is 4.7 gig. HOW MUCH TIME can be different by adjusting the level of compression. In that respect, size does not matter, but rather the length of the video and the quality desired.

Under 1 hour = best quality

That goes for ANY software on the maket. When the video goes over one hour, then it must be compressed more for it to fit.

More compression = less quality

Here is the dvd burn info:

File Size Est. Bytes to DVD Burn Left on DVD

No. Play Time

Menu 80.30 mb 4619.7mb

1 482kb 32.44 479.57 2299.9mb

2 789 52.42 770.00 33.7gb

3 72 4.49 70.01 48.2gb

4 75 5.03 72.33 8.3gb

5 167 11.14 162.68 20.06b

Notice how the bytes remaining for burn are all over the place first one is -2319.80 gb and second is

-2266.20.gb and the difference betrween 3&4 goes up.

As I said, this just started a few days ago and to the best of my knowledge, I have not added or changed a thing in roxio.

one other question, What is the contents disc used for? About the only place where I thought it would provide addition content was in the burn process looking for additional menues, but isystem just took me to BUY SOME MORE CRAP.

I have just experienced a problem that is just crazy. I've captured 7 vhs tapes and want to burn them to

a dvd. I have already done this about 6 times. Now the problem, my inputted data are in wmv format but when the inported into dvd creator program they are in avi format and the size of file has changed from 833MB to 3.8GB. This just started about 4-5 days ago. have not downloaded any patches, etc from roxio, and I'a at a loss. thanks

File Size is meaningless in video work. Time is what everything is based on.

I doubt that MyDVD is changing them to AVI because the only thing it outputs when you click Burn is mpeg2. That is what a DVD Movie requires.

From the 3.8gb project size, I woudl guess you have about 50 minutes of movie?

Archived