• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 15 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Audio Offset Units

bsant

Question

The Audio Offset units in the "Audio Options" dialog box are shown as follows:

00:00:00:00

I have an AC3 file (48 kHz, 16 bit, 6.1 Channels, 448 kbps) for a corresponding video .m2v file where I know the delay is:

-395 ms

How do I input this value (i.e., using the 00:00:00:00 audio offset field, what would I input to get a -395 ms audio offset)?

Or, is there an easier way to input the audio offset value of -395 ms?

1 answer to this question

The Audio Offset units in the "Audio Options" dialog box are shown as follows:

00:00:00:00

I have an AC3 file (48 kHz, 16 bit, 6.1 Channels, 448 kbps) for a corresponding video .m2v file where I know the delay is:

-395 ms

How do I input this value (i.e., using the 00:00:00:00 audio offset field, what would I input to get a -395 ms audio offset)?

Or, is there an easier way to input the audio offset value of -395 ms?

SORRY! I figured it out.

Since the last set of 0's in the audio offset only go to a value of 30, I multiplied this by .395 and got the value of 11.85 (rounded up to 12). I input the audio offset of:

-00:00:00:12

and le voila! Works like a charm. Ran it thru the Simulator and the video and audio synch perfectly all the way to the end of the clip (about 10 minutes long).

I think in a future release/update, DVDit Pro HD ought to consider inputing an alternative Audio Offset in terms of millisecond decimal units instead (e.g., -.395) of what is currently used. This is not an onerous request, e.g., the program mpeg-vcr allows decimal unit audio offsets to be input.

This alternative feature would be extremely useful.

For example, I use DGIndex to demux an .mpg file (converted from an HDTV broadcast .ts file using HDTVtoMPEG2) into video (.m2v) & audio (.ac3) files. DGIndex inserts the audio offset into the .ac3 file name for easy reference and in decimal units. This is more precise than rounding 11.85 to 12. I hope that in longer duration .m2v files, the slight difference does not accumulate into a synch problem.

Archived