• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 14 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Partial install

GRA

Question

EMC was supplied with a Plextor DVD drive but I want to use only Drag to Disk, which is not even mentioned in the "custom install" menu but is included in the package. Is there a way to install -only- Drag to Disk without any of the other EMC programs?

Thanks for your help.

14 answers to this question

Perhaps he wants compatibility with another PC that has D2D already installed and working. <_< I know some don't like D2D but it works for me. :D

I didn't, and wouldn't, buy EMC. It came with a Plextor DVD Drive, as did the first version I ever tried.

I find Drag-to-Disk to be preferable to Microsoft's XP version, in part, because of the menu. It is the only part of EMC currently unavailable as a standalone program that I would be willing to pay for, although $49.99 would be too steep a price.

I do use Easy Copy 2, which I purchased separately, and that came with CinePlayer 2.3. The latest version of CinePlayer, 3.2, will not recognize my hard drives and the interface is, imo, a big step backwards.

The earlier version of EMC, which was 4 or 5, did enable me to load parts and then eliminate everything but D2D. That latest version screwed up my existing Easy Copy and CinePlayer programs and required a clean uninstall and a registry scrub to get things working properly again.

So, I'll settle for the XP version rather than waste more time on EMC.

Thanks for your comments and help.

I didn't, and wouldn't, buy EMC. It came with a Plextor DVD Drive, as did the first version I ever tried.

I find Drag-to-Disk to be preferable to Microsoft's XP version, in part, because of the menu. It is the only part of EMC currently unavailable as a standalone program that I would be willing to pay for, although $49.99 would be too steep a price.

I do use Easy Copy 2, which I purchased separately, and that came with CinePlayer 2.3. The latest version of CinePlayer, 3.2, will not recognize my hard drives and the interface is, imo, a big step backwards.

The earlier version of EMC, which was 4 or 5, did enable me to load parts and then eliminate everything but D2D. That latest version screwed up my existing Easy Copy and CinePlayer programs and required a clean uninstall and a registry scrub to get things working properly again.

Drag to Disc, and Windows XP burning program are two different animals. D2D is packet writing software, and XP's is Session writing software.

The XP software can't burn to DVD's.

Glad you got back to us!

I would venture that you are using far too many OEM versions. Whenever I get a piece of hardware that comes with a disc, the disc goes straight into the trashcan without ever being opened!!!

Of course we don't know what was included with the OEM version that came with your Plextor drive, but the first step to installing it would be the removal of everything Roxio. Then and only then will your install be conflict free.

D2D is a packet writer. Like any and all packet writers, it is the least reliable form of burning ever devised!

For whatever reason, you decided not to use it, you will be better off.

EMC was supplied with a Plextor DVD drive but I want to use only Drag to Disk, which is not even mentioned in the "custom install" menu but is included in the package. Is there a way to install -only- Drag to Disk without any of the other EMC programs?

Thanks for your help.

No.

Glad you got back to us!

I would venture that you are using far too many OEM versions. Whenever I get a piece of hardware that comes with a disc, the disc goes straight into the trashcan without ever being opened!!!

Of course we don't know what was included with the OEM version that came with your Plextor drive, but the first step to installing it would be the removal of everything Roxio. Then and only then will your install be conflict free.

D2D is a packet writer. Like any and all packet writers, it is the least reliable form of burning ever devised!

For whatever reason, you decided not to use it, you will be better off.

Thanks for the information. Just to clarify, there were no remnants of any OEM supplied versions left on the computer. They were long gone and even at least one clean reinstall of XP removed. I was using Easy Copy 2, which I purchased directly from Roxio about a year ago, and CinePlayer 2.3, which came with it. I did try to upgrade to CinePlayer 3.2, also purchased directly from Roxio, but couldn't make it work. And I did look at the programs on the Plextor EMC version. Its version of CinePlayer had a more complete menu than the one I paid for and downloaded from Roxio but still would not play movies stored on a hard drive.

To get the earlier version of CinePlayer to work again when I reinstalled it, I had to do the clean uninstall referred to earlier.

My only experience with any versions of EMC, and with Nero for that matter, have been via OEM supplied programs. Although Nero was the first such program I used, and probably much less complicated then, it caused no problems on installation and operated as it should, something I have not been able to say about EMC.

In any case I am one of those who tries the "free" version. If I had liked it, I would have purchased later versions. That hasn't happened and isn't likely to.

After my most recent experience with Roxio's products, I suspect PowerDVD will be my next player.

Thanks again for your help.

You might try a custom install and pick and choose what you want installed and when that is done go back into the control panel programs and then remove all the Roxio, Sonic, Divx etc... that you want removed except D2D. That might work but I haven't tried it.

Yeah, it works. I just did it, so I know.

You might try a custom install and pick and choose what you want installed and when that is done go back into the control panel programs and then remove all the Roxio, Sonic, Divx etc... that you want removed except D2D. That might work but I haven't tried it.

No way will he be able to do that.

Aside: The only thing that I remove, after an install, is Drag to Disc. :) I really do.

Actually if all the OP wants to do is 'drag to disc' he doesn't even need any program suite

XP has built in session writing for CDs and Vista has built in packet writing for CD and DVD

Seems a tad strange to me that anyone would buy a program suite when all they want is the already present ability to drag files to an optical disc

Archived