• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 15 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Getting ECDC 4.02d to Recognize CD Drive

k2810e

OK. I have looked all through this site but can't seem to locate what I need to know. It is possible that I can't do what I want to but I hope that isn't the case.

I used ECDC 4 in my older computer and loved it. About 4 years ago I got a new computer - W2000, P-4, 1gRam and a Plextor Premium CD Burner. The Burner came with ECDC 6. I never was happy with the 6 version and kept burning on my old computer.

The other day I loaded (from my origonal cd) ECDC 4 on my new computer. The Jewelcase worked great & I transfered my projects from the old computer to the new one. Happy, I tried to burn a Music CD from ECDC 4 - Bummer. I got a message that the CD burner could not be found.

The ECDC 6 still burns fine. I can still play through MP 9. I do not use MP to burn anything.

Bet you know what I need now. I need to get the ECDC 4 to see my Plextor Premium burner. I am not sure if it is PATA or SATA. My mobo has both and my HD's are SATA.

Please, I hope you can help me.

Thanks, Steve

If it's a SATA (or even a modern IDE/PATA) you're completely out of luck I'm afraid.

ECD4 is a very old program and the driver database hasn't been updated in years.

You could try EMC 9 (there's a 30 day free trial version here) or even any of the more recent ones - 7, 7.5, 8 and they should be available at a discounted price on eBay or even Amazon

Hmm .... The only identification on the drive is Plextor Premium CD-RW Drive. It is a IDE drive and has a date on it of July, 2004. I looked up the devicd 106 in the registry and found:

"device106"="IDE-CD R/RW 8x4x32,IDE-CD,R/RW 8x4x32,PHIL4XRW,cdrmmc.drv,128"

In the System Properites>Device Manager>DVD/CD Drives> It says Plextor CD-R Premium, the device is working and is using a driver date of 11-14-99.

If you need more info, please tell me where to find it.

Also, I can text you the Registry if you need it.

Thanks, Steve

Hi Steve, please try this:

Right click My Computer, select properties, Device Manager. Find the DVD/CDROM icon, click on the + alongside to expand it and you will see an icon and text information for each CD/DVD device installed. This text is the ID String. Please quote it exactly.

(You click on the plus sign, not on the icon)

I also need the full version number of your ECDC4. Please run CD Creator as if you were making a Data CD, and then go to the top toolbar Help / About Easy CD Creator, and read the version number in the box which pops up.

Thanks

As I mentioned before, in the System>Properites>Device Manager>DVD/CD Drives>+> It says >Plextor CD-R Premium<, the device is working and is using a driver date of 11-14-99. There are no other strings in that section.

In the ECDC box it says >Version 4.02d< . As the ECDC was starting, I saw some extra numbers >Version 4.02d (292)<.

Also, when I installed the ECDC-4 it said that it could run on W-2000.

I am using W-2000 Pro with SP4.

Thanks, Steve

Hi Steve, (thanks Daithi)

Actually, this is the display in Device Manager I need you to go to. If something is saying the drives are working properly you're in the wrong part.

post-208-1188168404.jpg

Can you get to this display, Steve? I think W2K has it.

Regards,

Brendon

That is where I have been going. This site won't let me attach a jpg image of the Device Manager. Also, my DM does not have a initialization string like you pictured. I am an Administrator.

Where else can I look for what you want?

Thanks, Steve

Steve,

I'm perplexed as to why you can't find the Identity strings we need, however here's another simple way of finding them.

Get a free copy of Nero's CD/DVD Speed from here. It's a nice wee application (2 MBs) and it doesn't actually need installing. You just park it somewhere and make a desktop shortcut to it.

Anyway, when you run it you should get a display rather like this one

post-208-1188184250.jpg

One drive ID will be displayed in the box, but if you have more than one optical drive you can click on the V at the end of the box and display them all like I have. The [1:0] or [1:1] shows which IDE channel and what position the drive is on, but the rest of the entry e.g. BENQ DVD DD DW1640 BSRB are the interesting data.

BSRB (or 1.02 for the other drive) is the firmware revision. The rest is the Drive ID.

If you could give me what you find, I'll try to help you. I gather that you have ECDC4.02d, so I don't need that info again, just the drive ID.

Regards,

Brendon

(p.s. Don't throw CD-DVD Speed away, because it's a very useful utility which will run lots of tests for you.)

Your going to kill me but this is what I got in that line:

[0:0] Plextor CD-R Premium 1.05

I can't explain why we are so different. My mobo is an Intel 915 and my SATA & ATA (IDE) ports are both on the board. Don't know if that would make any difference.

Thanks for working with me on this.

Steve

Okay Steve,

I think I have it. It's the PlexWriter Premium, a 52x32x52 CD rewriter. Does that sound right? It might be hard for you to tell, but if a dot represents a space (this board gobbles extra spaces) the drive ID is

PLEXTOR.CD-R...PREMIUM

The three spaces after CD-R make it hard to search, but I think we have it.

Right, that drive was first supported in ECDC at version 5.3.4c, so it's a bit fiddly to translate back to 4.02d but I think it's doable. Please bear with me, and I'll be back a little later with something.

Brendon

That sounds about right. I've been looking and looking for the paperwork that came with the system but .... stuff's scattered everywhere. I need a secretary.

Far South? If you're south enough, it should be winter down there. Up here, it's 88dF with a dew point of 72. Seems like 100.

Thanks for all your help

Steve

That sounds about right. I've been looking and looking for the paperwork that came with the system but .... stuff's scattered everywhere. I need a secretary.

Far South? If you're south enough, it should be winter down there. Up here, it's 88dF with a dew point of 72. Seems like 100.

Thanks for all your help

Steve

Yes... Brendon is "Far South" where it's winter.

Hi Steve,

I'm back, and Spring starts on Saturday :) (not before time)

Sorry I've been so long, but I've been trying to decipher strange registry things. I think I've got something which will work for CD Creator and CD Copier. I can't test any further because I don't have your drive.

Now you seem to be able to run regedit, so this is what I need you to do.

-run regedit, and back up your registry if you feel you need to. We'll only be naughty with one key, so you could just back that one up if you want.

-navigate to [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Adaptec\Easy CD Engine\1.0\Devices] There should be 648 drive entries in there, but since we're not going to add or subtract any, the number isn't crucial

-look at device001. It should have the value "4X IDE CD-RW,*******,4X IDE CD-RW,STANDARDMMC,cdrmmc.drv,136"

where the asterisks represent spaces. This message board gobbles extra spaces, so I put asterisks instead.

-click on device001, and that value should appear highlighted in an edit box.

-press backspace, and the contents should disappear. Cut this string out of my message and paste it into the box.

PLEXTOR CD-R***PREMIUM,PLEXTOR,CD-R***PREMIUM,STDMMCDDWS,cdrmmc.drv,155

-replace the two sets of three asterisks with spaces, so that the string matches the ID string from your drive, and then click OK to complete the edit.

-exit from the registry editor.

What we've done is replace the entry for the 4X IDE drive with an entry for your drive. If we've been precise, your drive should now be recognized by ECDC 4.02d

Please note that the driver ECDC4 uses is an old one made for slower drives, so it's likely that it won't be able to work your newer drive to the max. You won't be able to use Direct CD (different recognition system) and you might be limited in burn speeds to the speeds available when 4.02d was cutting edge.

Please let me know how it goes.

That was a quick fix for me. I was able to burn an Audio CD. The max speed offered was 20x which is fine. The Buffer stayed above 87% the whole time (mp3 file to audio cd). In fact, it went faster and quieter than ECDC-6.

There are still a couple of little problems but I need to compare them to the way they it worked on my older computer. I'll know in a day or 2 and get back to you.

Many thanks, Steve

Archived