"the file you are trying to use can't be edited, and was not added"

niece

Question

i have been trying to burn dvds with this mydvd 9, and i either get this error message "the file you are trying to use can't be edited, and was not added", or i am able to add the file, but when i preview it, i have no audio. all the files i'm trying to use are avi format, which are supported. so will add to the project and the ones that don't get that error message. please tell me what i'm doing wrong?

thanks!

13 answers to this question

OK, download the codec from the link I posted and install it, reboot and try MyDVD again.

ok. installed Xvid. rebooted and tried mydvd again. now, instead of it allowing me to add them, it shows them in the list as not valid (icon has a red circle with a line through it).

so i tried gspot again, and now under video it says i have 4 compatible codecs installed. when i click on more info, the same one - ffdshow MPEG4 video decoder still says misconfigured, and when i clicked on it, the only error i saw was that it's not registered. i even d/l and installed another version of ffdshow.

any other ideas?

thanks!!

ok. installed Xvid. rebooted and tried mydvd again. now, instead of it allowing me to add them, it shows them in the list as not valid (icon has a red circle with a line through it).

so i tried gspot again, and now under video it says i have 4 compatible codecs installed. when i click on more info, the same one - ffdshow MPEG4 video decoder still says misconfigured, and when i clicked on it, the only error i saw was that it's not registered. i even d/l and installed another version of ffdshow.

any other ideas?

thanks!!

I wonder if you might now benefit from this post? Seems like this might be your problem.

i have been trying to burn dvds with this mydvd 9, and i either get this error message "the file you are trying to use can't be edited, and was not added", or i am able to add the file, but when i preview it, i have no audio. all the files i'm trying to use are avi format, which are supported. so will add to the project and the ones that don't get that error message. please tell me what i'm doing wrong?

thanks!

Exactly what type of avi files are these? Do they play fine in Windows Media Player?

Exactly what type of avi files are these? Do they play fine in Windows Media Player?

they are normal avi files to my knowledge. they play fine in windows media. it says avi on the file thumbnail...and video clip in the properties. they are large, like 600MB but i didn't think that was the issue being that even when i add smaller files, like 150MB, they will add, but don't have audio.

they are normal avi files to my knowledge. they play fine in windows media. it says avi on the file thumbnail...and video clip in the properties. they are large, like 600MB but i didn't think that was the issue being that even when i add smaller files, like 150MB, they will add, but don't have audio.

Download Gspot, import your file into it and look at the audio codec section to see what it says. Post back that info, also let me know what the video codec states.

post-79-1188012710.jpg

Download Gspot, import your file into it and look at the audio codec section to see what it says. Post back that info, also let me know what the video codec states.

ok....

the video says:

4CC - xvid

name - XviD

stat - codec misconfigured (more info says - ffdshow MPEG-4 video decoder (misconfigured))

Audio says:

name - 0x0055(MP3) ID'd as MPEG-1 Layer 3

stat - 3 compatible codecs installed

ok....

the video says:

4CC - xvid

name - XviD

stat - codec misconfigured (more info says - ffdshow MPEG-4 video decoder (misconfigured))

Audio says:

name - 0x0055(MP3) ID'd as MPEG-1 Layer 3

stat - 3 compatible codecs installed

I'm not totally sure what 'codec misconfigured' actually means but you might try by removing then reinstalling the xvid codec. However, it's your audio that isn't working and you do have the proper codecs installed for that. I'm not exactly sure what to suggest other than reinstalling your codecs.

Also try another xvid file and see if the same thing happens. It might just be a corrupted file that was screwed up while downloading it.

I'm not totally sure what 'codec misconfigured' actually means but you might try by removing then reinstalling the xvid codec. However, it's your audio that isn't working and you do have the proper codecs installed for that. I'm not exactly sure what to suggest other than reinstalling your codecs.

Also try another xvid file and see if the same thing happens. It might just be a corrupted file that was screwed up while downloading it.

thanks for your help...its appreciated.

i did check some of the others just now, every single one says the same thing as that one about the video codecs. all the audio codecs are fine. so maybe i will try reinstalling the codec.

im kinda new to this, so if you have any idea how to reinstall the codecs...please help...:-(

thanks!!!

thanks for your help...its appreciated.

i did check some of the others just now, every single one says the same thing as that one about the video codecs. all the audio codecs are fine. so maybe i will try reinstalling the codec.

im kinda new to this, so if you have any idea how to reinstall the codecs...please help...:-(

thanks!!!

Go into the Control Panel and uninstall the xvid codec. Then go here and download the latest xvid codec and install it and try again. I do have a feeling you won't see any difference but there's no harm installing the latest codecs any way. Another problem could be that there is more than 1 xvid codec installed. If so, remove it as well.

Go into the Control Panel and uninstall the xvid codec. Then go here and download the latest xvid codec and install it and try again. I do have a feeling you won't see any difference but there's no harm installing the latest codecs any way. Another problem could be that there is more than 1 xvid codec installed. If so, remove it as well.

ok i'm really feeling stupid for even asking...but i looked in the control panel, and i don't know where to find the codecs???

ok i'm really feeling stupid for even asking...but i looked in the control panel, and i don't know where to find the codecs???

You want to go to the Add/Remove programs section and search for XVID. It should be near the bottom as it's in alpha order.

and in gspot it did show more than one codec installed under video....

You want to go to the Add/Remove programs section and search for XVID. It should be near the bottom as it's in alpha order.

xvid is not in my add/remove programs....

Archived