No Rant Here.

JamesTw

Question

This is not a rant but an attempt to offer technical support to others who are considering making the purchase of EMC9 (Vista Certified)

I think the technical term is ........... " Buyer Beware " !!!

I would love to say EMC9 works perfectly in Vista, you'll get no installation problems, creating video is a snip and the whole package fits together like hand and glove. However, I can't!

I think the technical term is ............ It's bust!

If Roxio could please patch this programme there will be no further need for technical help posts from me.

(or others having the same technical problems as me)

Is that okay John ???

16 answers to this question

Actually I still have an old box around (mainly because it still has ISA slots for my DRSI packet radio card)

Most packet radio programs (using TCP/IP or AX25) run under DOS so it still has its uses :P

For that QEMM (available from that website) is great - bumps base memory up by a whole 64K by grabbing the reserved video chunk from the top RAM. Throw in expanded and MSYS runs like a dream :lol:

A lot of people never actually understood that the old '640K' XT boxes actually had 1 MB under the hood with the top 360K reserved for system use

Actually I still have an old box around (mainly because it still has ISA slots for my DRSI packet radio card)

Most packet radio programs (using TCP/IP or AX25) run under DOS so it still has its uses :P

For that QEMM (available from that website) is great - bumps base memory up by a whole 64K by grabbing the reserved video chunk from the top RAM. Throw in expanded and MSYS runs like a dream :lol:

A lot of people never actually understood that the old '640K' XT boxes actually had 1 MB under the hood with the top 360K reserved for system use

I remember QEMM and DRVSpace or something like that? so you could get much more installed on your 20mb hard-drive.

My first PC was an Elonex 286 (8mhz) overclocked to 12mhz with 2mb ram. 51/4" Floppy and a Cirrus Logic Video Card. Top Notch !!! Proper sound froma SoundBlaster sound card.

Didn't know I was born..............happy days !!! :D

It's not like Microsoft makes it hard to get information on changes and through MSDN and such.

The problem is MS does like to change stuff at the last minute - then expect everyone else to play catchup.

Look at all the apps that got wrecked on XP with their 'critical' update of IE7

Vista SP1 Beta? - hope you've ghosted the main drive :lol:

I wonder what that will bring in its wake - I still remember the screaming when XP SP2 wiped out all the ECD5 users

I know what you mean Gary - I often wish that Captain Zilog had produced a 16 bit version of the Z80 chip back then - that beat the spots off the Intel 8080 and a 16 (and later 32 and 64 bit version) would have been something else

My first one was an XT (8088 16 bit) with 640K of RAM - it did have a 20 MB hard drive and I also managed to do a bit of plastic surgery on the case and slip in a 720K 3 1/2" - toss in Hercules graphics along with DOS 3.3 and GEM :lol:

Now look at it - there's more memory on my video card (and even more L2 cache) than I had back then :D

May as well do that James (I ain't even going to think aboput Vista until at least then)

But something that all you guys overlooked - it's MICROSOFT that certifies programs for Vista - not the app makers, so if there is a 'compatibility' problem - MS are the ones who said it was compatible

Not overlooked and agreed. (up to a point) Roxio is more than happy to promoted the "Vista Certified" bit to gain more sales when they must know full well that there's issues to be sorted? In fact they must do as there's a patch ehhemm??? in the offing??? When??? I dunno !!!

I've seen other suite's do the same, where they say "Vista Certified" then somewhere in the small print they state it applies to one part of the application, not all. Very naughty !!!

But this is not a rant only an attempt to enlighten potential buyers to make sure they know all the issues and can work within those limitations. :rolleyes:

Okay John ???

My first one was an XT (8088 16 bit) with 640K of RAM - it did have a 20 MB hard drive and I also managed to do a bit of plastic surgery on the case and slip in a 720K 3 1/2" - toss in Hercules graphics along with DOS 3.3 and GEM :lol:

Now look at it - there's more memory on my video card (and even more L2 cache) than I had back then :D

My first computer came from Radio Shack. There were no color printers out then. When the first Dot Matix color printer came out, at that time, if I remenber right I paid $500.00 for it, This was a lot of money at that time.

What I paided for my first computer, I could buy two today. I still have my 3 dot matix printers from then up in my attic. A standed one, a wide one. and a color one.

Back then not to many people had computers.

The good old times, Right! ;)

That is, as far as I can recall from some Roxio staff posts on the board, that they were getting the whole kit and caboodle certified for Vista rather than just one bit, hence the delays in the 9.1 update. 9.1 (ESD version or a boxed version), IS certified, updated 9 to 9.1 will also be certified.

I can't recollect just where it was, but TomatRoxio did post a while back saying that there was a beta test of the updater supplied to some people but it failed and had to go back to the drawing board. That being the case, I would assume that the patch is nearly ready but when is another question (when everyone is happy that it works I suppose)

Personally - I'm sceptical of MS 'new' OSs - I do recall the disasters that were 95A, 98 (original) ME and so on - I can even go as far back as DOS 3.1 and do remember the mess that was DOS 4 and 5 (not forgetting all Windows up to and including 3.0) :lol:

Personally - I'm sceptical of MS 'new' OSs - I do recall the disasters that were 95A, 98 (original) ME and so on - I can even go as far back as DOS 3.1 and do remember the mess that was DOS 4 and 5 (not forgetting all Windows up to and including 3.0) :lol:

You go back a long way. I can remenber when Windows 3.1 came out. I installed the program, but didn't like it and went back to DOS.

Everything was simple to operate then. I been using computers for over 20 years. mainly, Cad programs to drawing plans for work I've done.

B)

I remember all of the above well and I also remember that most Windows applications worked pretty well by the time that Win 98 SE hit the OEM's and the 32bit migration was completed. There were a few bumps with ME which is when most people started switching to Win2K Pro. XP didn't fair too well for the first year but SP1a addressed a lot of difficulties. Also hardware design and capabilities progressed rapidly from 2002 forward when AMD really started getting some recognition for the quality processors they were making. Unfortunately after SP2 was introduced, third party software, hardware and driver providers took a breather instead of preparing for Vista which had already been in the works for 3 years at that time. It's just plain ridiculous that software vendors are running into such difficulties at such late dates. It's not like Microsoft makes it hard to get information on changes and through MSDN and such.

Yes, It's not all Roxio fault that there program doesn't work right on Vista. Vista also has a lot of problem with this new system. But a program shouldn't say; "it's Vista ready if it don't work right with Vista."

I have another program that is suppost to be Vista ready, it also dosen't work right with Vista. But on the other hand I've installed programs from my last computer, operating system XP, programs that work right with no problems what so ever. Some tell me why this is? Vista ready programs don't work right on Vista, but XP programs do. Hum! Tell me Why

Before I install another program on Vista, I'm going to wait for Vista's SP! package to come out. Maybe, Just Maybe, it will make a diference. What do you think?

BooBoo :lol::P:rolleyes:

Well Vista SP1 beta due in two weeks. I will get my hands on that and hopefully it will help the Vista/Roxio problems. I will post back with the results if the SP1 beta is not too limited. We generally get the 'first look stuff' so I am thinking positively.

May as well do that James (I ain't even going to think aboput Vista until at least then)

But something that all you guys overlooked - it's MICROSOFT that certifies programs for Vista - not the app makers, so if there is a 'compatibility' problem - MS are the ones who said it was compatible

Archived