• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 10 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

mult-disc project problem

orpioneer

Question

Has anyone else had this problem or know what might be causing it? The disc size selector and estimated project size functions in Creator Classic do not seem to be talking to each other. When trying to save a large folder full of picture files using CD Creator Classic I get an estimated project size of 5.15 GB which it claims requires only one disc despite the fact that the disc size selected is far smaller than that. (I have a 700 MB CD-RW in the drive, which Creator correctly read as being a 703 MB 80 minute disc.) I've tried selecting both larger and smaller disc sizes, but the estimate of number of discs (one) needed doesn't budge. I tried to go ahead and do a burn anyway, but once program finished preparing all the files and got to the part where it actually needed to burn the disk, there was a delay of several minutes with no apparent hard drive activity then the Burn Set-up box pops up showing my drive and giving the CD information (which has a parenthetical comment saying one 80 min CD needed). I check OK and after a few minute of project preparation it ejects my disk telling me that I need to insert a disk with at least 5.1 GB of storage and suggests a DVR-R double layer. I don't have such a disc but that's beside the point, why is the program ignoring the disc size selection?

The upshot is that I can't save anything that requires more than one disk. Is this another bug? It sounds like the program is unstable as all get out to judge by the posts I've reviewed so far.

4 answers to this question

Many thanks for the reply. If I understand you correctly then, this isn't a capability that works for some people and not others, but simply doesn't exist in the program. That's very disturbing. The ability to copy a large amount of data as unit, which means spanning multiple disks, is a key feature of any program claiming to provide back-up capability. It allows you to preserve file structure and makes it easy to copy everything on a regular basis, whereas picking out files to back-up means you don't wind up copying everything AND it require extra time that is in painfully short supply these days--with the result that you don't do it nearly as often as you should. (Note that I heartily agree with you that files spanning disks are more risky, and so I create additional single disk back-ups of the really critical, the world-would-end-without-them, files.)

However the reason that your news was disturbing to me was because, if I've interpreted your comments and others on this forum correctly then it suggests that this is not a software issue, or even a bug, but fraud. I bought the Easy Media Creator 9 Suite only last week and this capability is prominently advertised on the box which states "Automatically span large files or projects across multiple discs". This same language is on the Roxio website describing this program at this very moment. I understand the program has been out since at least last September so the company cannot claim ignorance about the missing capability, or lack of opportunity to provide what they promised. In fact it's extremely difficult for me to believe they were unaware that it was missing when they released it, it's too major and too obvious. And if they have no intention of EVER providing what they claimed, even as a program patch, well, wow......

Anyway I hope this isn't new trend in software, but I take comfort in the fact that word does get out. The manufacturer isn't doing themselves any favors.

So again, I really appreciate your taking the time to respond and let me know that there's no need to beat myself up trying to track down a fix!

Yes it is a known problem and has been reported. To be blunt, don't expect to see it fixed!

It really is not that hard to break down projects so that they fit a disc. I have been doing it that way since V3 and never lost a byte!

Those that think disc spanning works or that this sort of thing is easy to program are the ones always coming here and asking for help to recover their data. It is usually not recoverable…

Many thanks for the reply. If I understand you correctly then, this isn't a capability that works for some people and not others, but simply doesn't exist in the program. That's very disturbing. The ability to copy a large amount of data as unit, which means spanning multiple disks, is a key feature of any program claiming to provide back-up capability. It allows you to preserve file structure and makes it easy to copy everything on a regular basis, whereas picking out files to back-up means you don't wind up copying everything AND it require extra time that is in painfully short supply these days--with the result that you don't do it nearly as often as you should. (Note that I heartily agree with you that files spanning disks are more risky, and so I create additional single disk back-ups of the really critical, the world-would-end-without-them, files.)

However the reason that your news was disturbing to me was because, if I've interpreted your comments and others on this forum correctly then it suggests that this is not a software issue, or even a bug, but fraud. I bought the Easy Media Creator 9 Suite only last week and this capability is prominently advertised on the box which states "Automatically span large files or projects across multiple discs". This same language is on the Roxio website describing this program at this very moment. I understand the program has been out since at least last September so the company cannot claim ignorance about the missing capability, or lack of opportunity to provide what they promised. In fact it's extremely difficult for me to believe they were unaware that it was missing when they released it, it's too major and too obvious. And if they have no intention of EVER providing what they claimed, even as a program patch, well, wow......

Anyway I hope this isn't new trend in software, but I take comfort in the fact that word does get out. The manufacturer isn't doing themselves any favors.

So again, I really appreciate your taking the time to respond and let me know that there's no need to beat myself up trying to track down a fix!

Ah... you want to be using either Back Up My PC (BUMP) or Roxio Backup. What you indicated you were doing initially was just going to create a set of Data discs. Creating Data discs is not a "backup" application except manually, as James was explaining.

I believe both BUMP and Roxio Backup allow for incremental backups, but I don't use either of them, preferring a different backup application. So, start by looking into those parts of the EMC Suite.

Archived