• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 20 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Emulated DVD-ROM Issues

Hammie5150

Question

I had EMC9 installed on my WinXP machine, with one Roxio Emulated DVD-ROM drive installed on the system (E:). While this emulated drive was active, I upgraded to Vista Business 32-bit. The emulated drive became unresponsive. In addition, EMC9's Disc Image Tool does not recognize the E: drive following the Vista upgrade. Win Explorer, however, sees it just fine. It can't DO anything, but it is there. I can try to uninstall the drive's driver, but it just comes back after a reboot. I tried to do a clean uninstall/reinstall using the Vista administrator account, cleaning the registry, deleting temp files, etc. I did everything Roxio has suggested. No dice. I still have a broken emulated drive, and EMC9 cannot even make a new one that does work.

Any help is appreciated. I love EMC9, but it has created a DVD-ROM drive that does not exist and will not go away.

Hammie

4 answers to this question

I had EMC9 installed on my WinXP machine, with one Roxio Emulated DVD-ROM drive installed on the system (E:). While this emulated drive was active, I upgraded to Vista Business 32-bit. The emulated drive became unresponsive. In addition, EMC9's Disc Image Tool does not recognize the E: drive following the Vista upgrade. Win Explorer, however, sees it just fine. It can't DO anything, but it is there. I can try to uninstall the drive's driver, but it just comes back after a reboot. I tried to do a clean uninstall/reinstall using the Vista administrator account, cleaning the registry, deleting temp files, etc. I did everything Roxio has suggested. No dice. I still have a broken emulated drive, and EMC9 cannot even make a new one that does work.

Any help is appreciated. I love EMC9, but it has created a DVD-ROM drive that does not exist and will not go away.

Hammie

I am not sure what you need to do, but Vista made the DVD-ROM drive so that does not exist....., not Roxio.

I am almost sure that I saw a solution in these forums, but don't remember where it is. Hopefully, someone else will find it, and post the solution.

I've a sneaking suspicion what happened here Bruce was the OP 'upgraded' an existing XP installation with a Vista disc - bad idea as all sorts of things get grought over that shouldn't be there

Best way is a clean install of Vista.

I've a sneaking suspicion what happened here Bruce was the OP 'upgraded' an existing XP installation with a Vista disc - bad idea as all sorts of things get grought over that shouldn't be there

Best way is a clean install of Vista.

Yes, that is what he said, but I am sure that I saw a solution to fix the problem. I just don't remember where.

The only 'fix' I can recall on the Vista upgrade Bruce was how to use the upgrade disc to re-install the OS.

This was from Goodwill in this thread

"Before Vista, Windows upgrades to newer versions allowed a clean install as you described. Vista does not have that procedure, at least Home Premium does not. There is, however, an undocumented procedure that will permit using a Vista upgrade disc to do an install on a newly formated HDD. The procedure is as follows:

1. After formating HDD, insert Vista upgrade disc into ODD.

2. When type of install is requested, chose "Custom".

3. When the key is requested, chose "install without key". This will permit completing install, with a message that the key must be provided within 30 days.

4. Reboot

5. Insert Vista upgrade disc into ODD, and install again.

6. When type of install is requested, chose "Upgrade" (I think this is the choice, it has been a while since I used this procedure.)

7. When the key is requested, enter it and complete install.

8. Activate the install so that updates can be downloaded and installed.

This procedure worked for me."

Archived