• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 15 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Whats The Advantage Of 8 Versus Easy Cd/dvd 6 Platinum

Larry Bacon

Question

I have been using easy cd/dvd 6 platinum for over year know and was wondering what the advantages of using 8 would be. I build dvd slide shows for benefit motorcycle rides, bike rallys, and etc. I usally have 400 still shots and so far most of the people i make them for like the slides shows, but would actually like to add some more excitment to the movies and was wondering if version 8 does that. thanks in advance.

17 answers to this question

Unfortunately, most video chips on the motherboard do not FULLY support DirectX. Videowave and MyDVD can actually off-load certain tasks to the video GPU. Although the Intel chip supports DirectX 9.0c, it doesn't support the functions needed for Videowave and MyDVD. There is a 'software render' mode in these apps, but that doesn't always help with display problems (pan/zoom preview, etc.)

Also a 60 gig hard drive may not be enough room for video editing especially when working with DV AVI.

I've kept my "C" drive (60gig) reasonably empty.

The bulk of my other programs reside on my D & E drives (60 gig each).

I never pan/zoom.

>>>"...Although the Intel chip supports DirectX 9.0c, it doesn't support the functions needed for Videowave and MyDVD. .."<<<

Now THIS is interesting news.

The Intel chip may not be the latest thing out there but it certainly is, at least, a Buick (in the GM pecking order).

EMC8 is for Caddys only?

Sure would be nice to know this up-front.

The packaging, adverts, magazine reviews, or ANY known-to-the-public source mentions this.

Phone support is closed today, but they WILL get a call from me on Monday.

I have a feeling that a Customer Service (refund) call is in my future...

I've kept my "C" drive (60gig) reasonably empty.

The bulk of my other programs reside on my D & E drives (60 gig each).

I never pan/zoom.

>>>"...Although the Intel chip supports DirectX 9.0c, it doesn't support the functions needed for Videowave and MyDVD. .."<<<

Now THIS is interesting news.

The Intel chip may not be the latest thing out there but it certainly is, at least, a Buick (in the GM pecking order).

EMC8 is for Caddys only?

Sure would be nice to know this up-front.

The packaging, adverts, magazine reviews, or ANY known-to-the-public source mentions this.

Phone support is closed today, but they WILL get a call from me on Monday.

I have a feeling that a Customer Service (refund) call is in my future...

Well, good luck to you. You could get a new video card, but I would suppose that that is out of the question, based on your posts here.

I have been using easy cd/dvd 6 platinum for over year know and was wondering what the advantages of using 8 would be. I build dvd slide shows for benefit motorcycle rides, bike rallys, and etc. I usally have 400 still shots and so far most of the people i make them for like the slides shows, but would actually like to add some more excitment to the movies and was wondering if version 8 does that. thanks in advance.

Easy MC8 requires WinXP.

I would suggest that you NOT update, or even purchase MC8 untill somebody figures out why trying to use this product results ONLY in the shut-down and reboot of so many computers.

See the forum posts on the problemS.

Ok...

I think that you (my7551) are being a bit juvenile here, there are over 2 million copies of this product sold and there is one or two users out of that 2 million customers that has some issue with a shutdown.

this makes lots of sence... da..

here are a few facts that people are just so quick to blame anything and every thing on...

1. software makers cannot fully guarantee that there will be absolute comparabilities with EVERY computer in the world, as all hardware makers use different components and drivers to run and use there boards, that includes places like Dell, HP, Compaq, Ect ect...

2. With the VAST software products on the market (Some developed badly) and with NO ONE COMPUTER the same, HOW can anyone say "it was Roxio , or it was Microsoft ect ect", No DLL or OCX or runtime file made by 1,000's of vender's are ever tested by every one..... roxio and others try as much as they can to make a compatible product....(it's called Due Diligence)

3. How can anyone say comments on a product when there are computers around the world with different service packs on then (not one are the same)

also these service packs are re-known for issues reguly... remember when service pack 2 for XP came out, it killed over 200 other software makers products from running, even Microsoft's own office died after installs, and lets not to even go down the road of spyware, and virus....

So all i can say is that there are 2 million users and only a few posts here on average... you work it out....

(PS: i dont work or get payment for this by Roxio, i am a user just like you all....)

This is just common sense thats all.....

Easy MC8 requires WinXP.

I would suggest that you NOT update, or even purchase MC8 untill somebody figures out why trying to use this product results ONLY in the shut-down and reboot of so many computers.

See the forum posts on the problemS.

Please get your facts straight before flaming -- from the posted system requirements:

:

Microsoft® Windows XP Home/Pro/MCE (Service Pack 2) Windows XP Pro x64 Edition, or Windows 2000 (Service Pack 4 or later)

The devil in in the (installation) details. :)

Most people (not all) have problems with this program because of a couple of things.

1) Their computer does not meet the minimum specifications ( I bet the other poster had an earlier version of Windows and thought he had to upgrade). He loaded XP over the earlier Windows which is usually a problem. If you do need to upgrade from perhaps Windows 95/98, a clean install is the way to go. It gets rid of a lot of crud mentioned next.

2) The computer is full of crud - malware and a bunch of downloaded programs that seemed interesting at the time but have never been removed - a lot of these are things to make the computer look pretty but actually just crud up the video card/processing.

3) Installing the program without following the directions. Many people install programs (not only this one) with the hard disk fragmented, connected to the internet (so updates), e-mail messages, etc.) can interrupt the installation and with their anti-virus and anti-spy ware enabled.

4) Old and/or obsolete drivers for their hardware or old firmware for their burners. These should be checked frequently and upgraded as necessary.

5) Windows settings that make the computer work hard just to display regular screens. All settings in Windows, video cards and sound cards should be set for performance.

6) More than one packet writing program on their computer either from the initial software loaded on their computer from the manufacturer or from something like a Nero installation. These are programs that allow you to drag files to a disc. (not the Windows copy program).

7) Operator induced problems. Impatience. Video processing takes time and ties up a computer for long periods. Some people try to rush things along and or stop processes (not programs) ignoring warnings.

A little care gos a long way.

Have fun with slow mo, picture-in-picture or video-in-video or any combination, music to match the video/images and if you are really into it and have the patience, putting yourself in the video and narrating the action with the green screen effect. :huh:

The devil in in the (installation) details. :)

"Most people (not all) have problems with this program because ..."

FYI: I built my own machine from top-of-the-line compnents, ALL of which meet or exceed the side-of-the-box requirements for EMC8. I installed WinXP-Pro clean on a new HD and did a clean install of Service Pack 2. I visit Windows Update regularly. My machine is CLEAN and updated to the max.

I do not "flame" a product without cause.

Of the thousands of people that purchased the product, how many have even seen this site? A tenth of a percent? How many people have tried to work their way through Support (?).

How many have just seen that the product fails and just go on to some other program?

Has Roxio reacted to the (here) reports of shutdown/reboot?

I have used earlier Video Waves (Last was 5) and liked the interface. I used Nero with good result but bought EMC8 to return to Videowave.

I saw the latest (December) Nero vs EMC8 article in PC World Magazine and bought EMC8. PC World did not mention that EMC8 did not like Win98 or WinME (used on my other machines).

No, this isn't just a flame, it is a REPORT and repair-seeking post of a problem that seems to be happening to a few people that found this site and it is a TRUE product-problem.

OK. If the product required SPECIAL prep prior to install, it SHOULD have been box-mentioned.

I feel that I have exceeded the prep and clean requirements and the install and used should have been duck soup. That it is not makes me unhappy and angry (?).

To imply (yes, imply) that I'm some sort of klutz does not help matters.

Thsi IS a problem and it does need a fix from Roxio.

FYI: I built my own machine from top-of-the-line compnents, ALL of which meet or exceed the side-of-the-box requirements for EMC8. I installed WinXP-Pro clean on a new HD and did a clean install of Service Pack 2. I visit Windows Update regularly. My machine is CLEAN and updated to the max.

I do not "flame" a product without cause.

Of the thousands of people that purchased the product, how many have even seen this site? A tenth of a percent? How many people have tried to work their way through Support (?).

How many have just seen that the product fails and just go on to some other program?

Has Roxio reacted to the (here) reports of shutdown/reboot?

I have used earlier Video Waves (Last was 5) and liked the interface. I used Nero with good result but bought EMC8 to return to Videowave.

I saw the latest (December) Nero vs EMC8 article in PC World Magazine and bought EMC8. PC World did not mention that EMC8 did not like Win98 or WinME (used on my other machines).

No, this isn't just a flame, it is a REPORT and repair-seeking post of a problem that seems to be happening to a few people that found this site and it is a TRUE product-problem.

OK. If the product required SPECIAL prep prior to install, it SHOULD have been box-mentioned.

I feel that I have exceeded the prep and clean requirements and the install and used should have been duck soup. That it is not makes me unhappy and angry (?).

V6 was the last Roxio program designed to run on Win9x. V7 & V8 clearly state that XP/W2K is required.

This "problem" is actually pretty rare and never showed up in all of the Beta testing.

I just left a suggestion in your other thread, that if you will pick up your phone and call Tech Support, they should be able to get to the bottom of this very quickly.

As others have pointed out, this is a user forum and not Tech Support. Posting here is doing nothing.

I personally haven't had a problem with v8 and feel it has wonderful tools. I also have v7 and v7.5 and v6 on my two computers, in combination. If you have any hesitation you could always upgrade to v7.5. There is a huge difference between v6 and v7 and later. I would suggest that you leave v6 installed, audio central is a great tool. You could always uninstall it later if you like. Just make sure your computer meets or surpasses the spec's required for whatever version you upgrade to. You should also check for updates on your video card and any other parts of the computer that you need to check out. You will find that the timeline in the newer versions will give you so much more flexibility. Don't be afraid to update, just do your homework and ask questions on the boards. I know I am always cautious, however, I have not had any problems with the newer versions, possibly because my computer is up to date. We are here for you, I have found that the boards have always helped me and have taught me so many tricks when making a project..........Patty :)

FYI: I built my own machine from top-of-the-line compnents, ALL of which meet or exceed the side-of-the-box requirements for EMC8.

Ok, I'm properly chastized. As posted in the other location, you should call Roxio - with this problem, you will not be charged.

Just a couple more things, the video card . Does it meet the following specifications and is DirectX 9© installed.

1024x768, 16-bit color graphics card. 24-bit or 32-bit true color recommended <LI>DirectX 9 or higher compatible graphics card

The program "likes" a video card with at least 128 Mb or onboard memory (no that is not in the specifications) and many computers with onboard chips work OK.

What antivirus program are you using and what anti-malware. Some people have had troubles with some anti-virus and the anti-virus mfgrs have posted fixes.

I'm assuming that you used Nero and the earlier version of VideoWave on those other computers so that type of interaction is not an issue.

Ok, I'm properly chastized. As posted in the other location, you should call Roxio - with this problem, you will not be charged.

Just a couple more things, the video card . Does it meet the following specifications and is DirectX 9© installed.

1024x768, 16-bit color graphics card. 24-bit or 32-bit true color recommended <LI>DirectX 9 or higher compatible graphics card

The program "likes" a video card with at least 128 Mb or onboard memory (no that is not in the specifications) and many computers with onboard chips work OK.

What antivirus program are you using and what anti-malware. Some people have had troubles with some anti-virus and the anti-virus mfgrs have posted fixes.

I'm assuming that you used Nero and the earlier version of VideoWave on those other computers so that type of interaction is not an issue.

Sorry if I was (am?) a bit "testy."

I do want this program, Videowave in particular, to work for me.

I use Norton and a couple of other bug-killers, but made sure they were OFF during install.

I'm not into computer games so Intel's MB video is fine.

I'm also at full-color, DirectX9, 1152x864 (can go much higher).

I'll now go read your other post...

I think there was a problem with Norton and V8 but I don't remember what it was. go to their web site and read their FAQ. Perhaps their fix will solve the problem. Anyone else remember what the problem was?

I went to the Norton site and found this. It is for an earlier version of EMC but for that 10X version of Norton. Have you upgraded to the 10.0.2 ?

Sorry if I was (am?) a bit "testy."

I do want this program, Videowave in particular, to work for me.

I use Norton and a couple of other bug-killers, but made sure they were OFF during install.

I'm not into computer games so Intel's MB video is fine.

I'll now go read your other post...

Well I guess everyone didn't understand my question. I wasn't asking if it would work on my computer. I have a very up to date system I own a sony viao Ra 820g. I use roxio for my side business and was wondering what differant tools were available on the newer versions. I use windows media player to down load my music then burn to cdrw to use with audio central to build music files for dvd maker. I was wondering if the newer versions had more things that would make a dvd slideshow attractive to the normal person. Like i stated i build dvd slide shows with still shots from motorcycle rides, biker rallys, weddings, or just anything you would want a memory of.

Sorry, got side tracked.

Well I guess everyone didn't understand my question. I wasn't asking if it would work on my computer. I have a very up to date system I own a sony viao Ra 820g. I use roxio for my side business and was wondering what differant tools were available on the newer versions. I use windows media player to down load my music then burn to cdrw to use with audio central to build music files for dvd maker. I was wondering if the newer versions had more things that would make a dvd slideshow attractive to the normal person. Like i stated i build dvd slide shows with still shots from motorcycle rides, biker rallys, weddings, or just anything you would want a memory of.

Sorry about the diversion. Motorcycle races are pretty exciting in themselves and your question is very open ended. Do you have anything in mind? Look at what V8 has posted as sales for the product and see if anything catches your eye.

Slow mo, pan and zoom, picture-in-picture or video-in-video or any combination, music to match the video/images and if you are really into it and have the patience, putting yourself in the video and narrating the action with the green screen effect. Introductory movies that play when the DVD is put into the player, motion menus that you can use your own videos or images, wide screen, a fantastic panorama creator - etc. I'm not familiar with cd/dvd 6 so I don't know if you have access to all of this. You are smart in asking before you upgrade since you will not be upgrading just to upgrade. If 6 does everything you want, and you don't see anything that catches your eye, with it

Bottom line, EMC8 is markedly different than v6, and even includes programs like Videowave and Photsuite full versions. It includes many more options and effects that you can use to create slideshows. Here is a link to the EMC8 features area. It should give you a pretty good idea of what is in the program.

http://www.roxio.com/en/products/emc/features.jhtml

my7551 wrote: I'm not into computer games so Intel's MB video is fine.

Unfortunately, most video chips on the motherboard do not FULLY support DirectX. Videowave and MyDVD can actually off-load certain tasks to the video GPU. Although the Intel chip supports DirectX 9.0c, it doesn't support the functions needed for Videowave and MyDVD. There is a 'software render' mode in these apps, but that doesn't always help with display problems (pan/zoom preview, etc.)

Also a 60 gig hard drive may not be enough room for video editing especially when working with DV AVI.

Archived