• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 22 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Need Installation Instructions

bobnrobin

Question

Short Version of problem: Dell Dim. 8200, Win HPHome, sp2. New hard drive installed - old one died. Tech reinstalled OS, all programs, utilities, etc., from disks which originally came with computer. These included Adaptec Easy CD Creator Std. (includes Easy CD Creator 4 & Direct CD 3), Dell Application Disk for Roxio Easy CD Creator 5.1 Basic. These were installed on my E CD drive.

Now when computer is turned on, popup which says Drivers are outdated, will cause windows to be unstable, so they are disabled.

Ordered EMC9 Suite, it came a few days ago, but had NO doumentation regarding installation whatsoever, just 2 CD's. I need to install this on the E drive as the originals were.

I have looked back thru the posts, but haven't found my exact circumstances. Do I need to uninstall both the above programs before I try to install 9 ? How do I get it to install on the E drive ?

Any help and advice will be very much appreciated, Thank you

bobnrobin

6 answers to this question

I'm not really sure what you're saying here. If your optical drive is E, then you can't install anything thers

However, in regard the other points - ECD5 will work (if you're careful abd follow the steps outlined here) but the older stuff won't and you wouldn't need it anyway

Installing EMC9, just put the Program CD in the computer and it will install itself to drive C (the main system drive). If you want the extra content, after you reboot, put in the Content CD and open that and double click on 'setup' - aftyer that everything is automatic and all you need to is put in the CD key for the Program disc

I'm not really sure what you're saying here. If your optical drive is E, then you can't install anything thers

However, in regard the other points - ECD5 will work (if you're careful abd follow the steps outlined here) but the older stuff won't and you wouldn't need it anyway

Installing EMC9, just put the Program CD in the computer and it will install itself to drive C (the main system drive). If you want the extra content, after you reboot, put in the Content CD and open that and double click on 'setup' - aftyer that everything is automatic and all you need to is put in the CD key for the Program disc

Thanks, gi7omy.

Sorry, I'll try to 'splain. Computer has 2 CDROM drives: D = CD/DVDRom. E= CD-RW Drive - Nec NR7900A. E being where "recording" is enabled. (Had only used this once, just before the C drive died around the first of this month.)

Thanks for the "here" link. That helped to explain a couple of things. Sp2 had NOT been installed prior to the reinstallation although I did have the CD. Since everything was lost, the tech went ahead and installed it on the new hard disk C.

I guess my main questions are: Should I uninstall the Adaptec and the Easy 5 before trying to install EMC9 ? If I do not uninstall, will 9 install properly and work on the E drive ? And one totally dumb question, in which drive, D or E, should I insert the installation disk for EMC9 ?

(Sorry if I sound a complete idiot, but this computer came out of the box with EVERYTHING installed, set up and working perfectly - 5-1/2 years ago. I've had that many yrs. of updates, upgrades, etc. to try and get back so it will continue to perform the way I wish, and admittedly, I'm shook.)

Thank you so much for your help, advice, and patience.

bobnrobin

If ECD 5 is working, leave it alone

Installation - it doesn't matter which optical drive you put the CD in - the computer will know to kick it in with autorun. If it doesn't, then double click on the drive and if that still fails, open it and double click 'setup.exe'

It will install to the C drive (in C:\Program Files\Roxio) - that's normal

If you want to install EMC9:

(1) Complete a system restore point

(2) De-install all previous version of adaptec/roxio products.

(3) Reboot to ensure your Optical-Drives are operational.

(4) Complete a system restore point

(5) Use MSCONFIG for a clean boot, Reference MS KB 310353

(6) Reboot into Clean mode

(7) Disable network

(8) Sleep or shutoff antivirus/firewall/spamfilter

(9) Install EMC 9

If ECD 5 is working, leave it alone

Installation - it doesn't matter which optical drive you put the CD in - the computer will know to kick it in with autorun. If it doesn't, then double click on the drive and if that still fails, open it and double click 'setup.exe'

It will install to the C drive (in C:\Program Files\Roxio) - that's normal

Thanks, again, gi7omy.

After some further checking, I've discovered the only thing the tech reinstalled was the Adaptec. Didn't do the Dell App disk for the ECD 5 after all. Ah, well... Guess I'll just uninstall the Adaptec, as that seems to be what's upsetting windows, and install my new MC9...

Thanks again for your help.

bobnrobin

If you want to install EMC9:

(1) Complete a system restore point

(2) De-install all previous version of adaptec/roxio products.

(3) Reboot to ensure your Optical-Drives are operational.

(4) Complete a system restore point

(5) Use MSCONFIG for a clean boot, Reference MS KB 310353

(6) Reboot into Clean mode

(7) Disable network

(8) Sleep or shutoff antivirus/firewall/spamfilter

(9) Install EMC 9

Thanks, chinchilla.

Good advice - reminders about restore points and to disable anything which might conflict. Easy to forget some of the steps when in a rush to get things back in working order....

Thanks again, for taking the time to reply.

bobnrobin

Archived